Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Max Payne 3 - Discuss!

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
MP1 and the writing was cheesy as fuck.

Really? Cheeesy writing? In a game called "Max Pain"?

you-dont-say.gif

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Max Payne 3 is one of the worst games I have ever played. It's a joke all the way through. It has fuck nothing to do with the Max Payne games, the PC port is awful, it's an interactive movie, it has shit design, the story is DERP, it's generally just shit. Also the painkillers turned from a gameplay mechanic into a gimmick. HERESY.
The euphoria/ragdoll effects on enemies are highly entertaining though, I don't think I've seen a game where dying enemies look better. The physics are really, really good.

There's a damn cutscene every time you walk through a doorway, this sounds like exaggeration but the tragic part is that it's not. And the cutscenes are generally laughable:
BbGPCp1.jpg

There's this instance where Max Payne says something about cake in his metaphors, and the word CAKE is written out on the screen. CAKE.

Max Payne 1 is an OK game, and Max Payne 2 is actually a good game. The story and characters are pretty entertaining, as is the style with the graphic novel cutscenes. Last but not least the gameplay is fun, unlike MP3.

Also it has a killer soundtrack.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
What mattered for me is the combat that was fun as fuck. Well, as long as the game didn't force me into popamole in some places due to shit balance, and you could just go all bollocks with some fun shit like RPD. It was incredibly fun, in a bloody, "squishy" way. The story was Retardo and very meh, but I think Ill replay it again, just for the gameplay.

My condolences for your condition.

The combat in this is supposed to be fun?

Here, let me remind you how it works:

- (unskippable) cutscene plays
- Max is in cover, wielding a gun that you don't want him wielding
- You take aim, the game aims wherever it is scripted to aim
- You shoot someone in the head, they fall down and get up again
- Someone shoots you, whee - it is last man standing! Try to figure who you're supposed to shoot to get out of the minigame!
- You try slow mo lunging into somewhere - Max hits invisible barrier, falls awkwardly
- The room is empty, but more identically armed goons spawn
- 30 people are dead, time to head for the next room!
- Not five seconds have passed and the game is already helpfully having Max tell you what you're supposed to do next
- You pick up painkillers, Max says something obnoxiously overacted

No, this is not a good game either. They did try, I'll give them that. But fuck if I will ever touch this shit, even with a ten foot pole.

Combat in Max Payne 3 is fun. Fuck you retarded people. I recommend trying multiplayer to people who enjoyed combat in SP. Not that many cutscenes there.

Drakron

Arcane
As previously stated, they wanted to make a game about shootdodging in a Brazilian slum town.

Except you have a long section on the Panama Canal for no reason except their boner for setpieces.

They werent even coherent on that but then again, Rockstar builds story about the setprices they want to do, not the other way around so their stories are always the same clusterfuck of incoherence, problem is when their gameplay suffers because "you must follow the train" bullshit because dur dur set piece homage due dur.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I had fun in Max Payne 3 as well, despite liking the first games too. The horror, the horror..

MapMan

Arcane
The gameplay in MP3 was really fun and solid. If you played any of the MP games for the story... well, you've been doing it wrong since MP1.

zwanzig_zwoelf

ripping off The Matrix.
...except that the first game wasn't ripping off the Matrix. The devs claim that the idea of bullet time was before the Matrix came out.

Shortly speaking, go read background information before making any claims like that, idiot.

Telengard

Arcane
The gunplay was merely vanilla console cover shooter, enlivened by "boss battles" against generic, nameless enemies whose sole trait is wearing more armor.

The standard game combat is:
  • Click on door. Engage cutscene.
  • Door locks behind Max.
  • Max gets spotted.
  • Enemy starts shooting.
  • Max ducks behind cover.
  • Enemy ducks behind cover.
  • Control restored to player at last.
  • And then the enemy just sit there, statically exposing body parts for you to target shoot. While occasionally one will lumber slowly towards you, relying on better hp, and hoping that you're using a controller (yeah right) to get to you before you slaughter him.
At that point, you have two choices.
  1. Retreat to the a different row of cover and wait for the enemy to lumber one by one towards you, like lambs to the slaughter
  2. Wait for a long time (on hard) while your bullet meter builds up, engage it, and shoot static exposed body parts. Or, if you can see that there are no spawn points in one direction, you can jump bullet time in that direction instead - but there has to be no spawn areas there or you'll likely end up on the floor in an animation while the new spawns appear on top of you and shoot your defenseless body to death.
Maybe shooting static objects with a controller is more engaging, where it's harder to line up your shot. But as it is, the gunplay is polished, but it's polished generic console shooting against (usually six) generic, static targets in what amounts to the same retextured large closet with the same rows of chest high walls - over and over and over.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ripping off The Matrix.
...except that the first game wasn't ripping off the Matrix. The devs claim that the idea of bullet time was before the Matrix came out.

Shortly speaking, go read background information before making any claims like that, idiot.

Indeed, Matrix helped Remedy to promote the game for free.

The influence you're looking for is Hardboiled.

That said, I recommend Stranglehold. You probably can buy it for peanuts and I had more fun with it than MP3. The latter wasn't a bad game, it was just not memorable as the first two. Too many cutscenes and Max is an alcoholic and drug addict. Man on Fire by Rockstar edition.

MapMan

Arcane
I just completed the game for the second time, on oldschool difficulty, got all the clues and golden weapon parts. One of the most enjoyable TPP shooters ever made.

Cholo

Arcane
How could you stomach a second playthrough with all the obnoxious and unskipable cutscenes? I think I made it as far as the stadium the second time around before I ragequit.

MapMan

Arcane
How could you stomach a second playthrough with all the obnoxious and unskipable cutscenes? I think I made it as far as the stadium the second time around before I ragequit.
Most of them are skippable, once the game loads. I have an SSD.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The "still loading" notification is pure bullshit imho. I have it installed on a nice SSD as well, and it still likes to play minutes of unskippable cutscene at a time when it only has to load like three more rooms afterward before the next cutscene.

Loading times are definitely way too long. This is a linear shooter with small maps made on same engine that's running GTA4 and 5, what the fuck is there to load so much?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Loading times are definitely way too long. This is a linear shooter with small maps made on same engine that's running GTA4 and 5, what the fuck is there to load so much?

In their defense the game is chock full of assets. So much detail on every level, probably takes a while to get all those assets into memory. Still too long though.

Game is worth trudging through the Tarantino homage though. Solid shooting action, lovely looking levels.

GTA4 also has a huge level of detail and yet is able to load it all on the go with MUCH higher draw distance than MP3 to boot, and it doesn't even require loading for entering buildings. So no, it must be some other reason. And I can only assume GTA5 does the same, can't confirm until the real version comes out.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
They're very different vibes, even if both are over-the-top. MP3 is a Tarantino movie while the first two were film noir homages.

I don't see anything Tarantino-like in MP3, to be honest. It's been already pointed out that it's mostly influenced by that crappy "Man On Fire" movie. And that one is very far from Tarantino style.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't see anything Tarantino-like in MP3, to be honest. It's been already pointed out that it's mostly influenced by that crappy "Man On Fire" movie. And that one is very far from Tarantino style.

Could be right, I'm not a movie buff. The dialogue and general "criminals-gonna-criminal" plot seemed Tarantino style to me, but I'm not super invested in the comparison.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom