Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MCA leaves Obsidian

MCA's next employer?

• Bethesda

Votes: 77 15.5%
  • InXile

Votes: 154 31.0%
  • Cleve

Votes: 50 10.1%
  • Larian

Votes: 16 3.2%
  • EA

Votes: 8 1.6%
  • Kingcomrade

Votes: 54 10.9%
  • Himself

Votes: 61 12.3%
  • CD Projekt

Votes: 9 1.8%
  • Blizzard

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • Zynga

Votes: 24 4.8%
  • Gaben

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • Richard Garriot

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Kirkbride

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • Bioware

Votes: 19 3.8%

• Total voters

Grimlorn

Arcane
Where's your god now?

Beginning work on Revolution 62: Mask of the Mansplainer
TtFxYIk.jpg

What can change the nature of a man... snip snip
And his fall to the Dark Side is complete.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Keep it coming, Chris.

This is my best case scenario.

Sawyer seems to have taken the wheel at Obsidian and MCA might not like where the ship is headed.

He's an employee, not a co-owner. "RPGs, to me, are adventurers bashing skeletons in a dungeon" is a more contentious statement that came from the CEO.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'm going to add some more drama and point out that Avellone actually left Obsidian's private Steam group.
Oh shhh-- shots fired!

Looks like there's some emotion behind that breakup. He doesn't want to have anything to do with Obsidian.

Clearly he isn't a co-owner anymore. Or wants to get out fast.

Sawyer seems to have taken the wheel at Obsidian...
He's an employee, not a co-owner.
A spot might've just opened. Maybe they don't want to fill it, but if anyone would take that place, it'd be "I'm-the-new-face-of-Obsidian" Sawyer.

Rake

Arcane
Unless it's ambiguous or they're nonbinary and prefer they/them/whatever, people who put their preferred pronouns in their twitter bios trigger me something fierce. Shut up, cissies.

So... what's your point? What context does that have here? Is it an assertion that because they agree on some things that certain possibilities are now impossible?

The idea that they don't get along is now based on absolutely nothing other than one awkward moment during a presentation, since it's clear that Avellone defers to Sawyer on system-related matters.

Also it's trollbait for people who wish that Chris "lack of balance is the great destroyer" Avellone was more involved in PoE and Sawyer less.

As someone has already said.. You must be seriously lacking in mental faculties if your taking this shit seriously.
I don't think anyone here honestly thinks MCA left over Sawyer - it's just funny to talk about.
Probably not the sole reason, but why not? Sawyer seems to have taken the wheel at Obsidian and MCA might not like where the ship is headed.
Feargus has the wheel at Obsidian for years now. He just happens to think Sawyer is the best person to the job he wants him to do. The clash (if there was any) is propably between Avellone and a couple of the other owners(including Feargus)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The clash (if there was any) is propably between Avellone and a couple of the other owners(including Feargus)

He's still Steam pals with Feargus and Darren. I can't be bothered to figure out who Chris Jones and Parker are, if they're even there. :M

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The clash (if there was any) is propably between Avellone and a couple of the other owners(including Feargus)

He's still Steam pals with Feargus and Darren. I can't be bothered to figure out who Chris Jones and Parker are, if they're even there. :M

He wouldn't just unfriend people. This business is all about keeping appearances. Nobody in Game Dev ever talks poorly or throws someone else under the bus until at least 15 - 20 years has passed. This is like the #1 Golden Rule of game development.

(Only Recently it has become questionably okay to sort of bash publishers without naming names - because they are so greedy and heartless that it doesn't matter either way)

Deleted member 7219

Chris Jones is working on the shitty card game and I think Parker worked on the backer portal.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I liked his brief career as a special effects expert betrayed by the Justice Department after faking the death of a mob rat.

Though I didn't like that time he cucked a guy with a primatologist.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I liked his brief career as a special effects expert betrayed by the Justice Department after faking the death of a mob rat.

Though I didn't like that time he cucked a guy with a primatologist.

"Krazy Glue. A thousand and one uses. Now, a thousand and two."

That was a great movie.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Chris’ involvement will be locked in the moment we pass the $1.9 million mark on the Kickstarter, where he’ll be designing the Cairn of Horrors, an all new dungeon built from the worst things that live in the imagination of Chris Avellone.

Great. Another Endless Paths of Nua. True though, that dungeon was built from the worst things in game design ever imaginable.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
MCA has more imagination in his right little finger than was put into the endless paths.

Hopefully Fargo doesn't cut any of Chris' dungeon should the stretch goal be reached.

Ah, I see Chris Avellone continues to follow his dream being a living Stretch Goal.
MCA: Professional stretch goal.
:hero:

Chances of his content ending up in the bin are extremely small this way. Maybe he'll really make a career out of consulting on games, it would certainly allow him to use his creativity without having to worry about feeding employees or having to personally manage an entire project...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom