Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mechanical Keyboards?

Bruticis

I need a new keyboard and was thinking of trying one of the newer mechanical models (compared to the old IBM model M I still have on an old machine). I want either an MX-brown or MX-blue and I don't want some gimmicky neon lights and drink warmer models (i.e. Razer). I'm liking what I've read about the daskeyboard model S silent or the Steel 6gv2/7g. Does anyone use either of these or have had good experience with some others? I don't do a ton of typing so not a fan of the MX-blues.

Get a Filco brown or a Filco black depending on how much resistance you like when you press a key. Blacks have more than the browns.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
i'm using daskeyboard ultimate and it's pretty nice, especially the fact that it's a usb hub. the silent version should be more or less the same minus the awesome clicking. why don't you want the awesome clicking?

relootz

Scholar
What is so special about these mechanical keyboards?

What is the real advantage to normal keyboards?

Bruticis

I DO want awesome clicking sound but I thought the ultimates were all blanks? I just don't think I'm hardcore enough for a blank keyboard (even if I've been typing on one for ages). I like the Filco's, a bit bland, but supply is my issue with them. There are out of stock of most of them on their site and I have a hard time finding them from other reliable, US based, online sources.

Bruticis

relootz said:
What is so special about these mechanical keyboards?

What is the real advantage to normal keyboards?

N key rollover and ghosting is what the "pro-gamers" will tell you. To me, I just like the feel and sound so much better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollover_%28key%29

If you want to test your current keyboard, do this:

A fun and easy test for your keyboard's N-Key rollover ability is to hold down both shift keys and try to type in the following:

the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog

Many keyboards have limited NKRO ability, most are only 3-key, some claim 3-key bypass. Key registers are often clumped in matrixes around the keyboard and if you hold down several keys, often, other matrixes and keys in them won't register.

My shitty work dell freebie looks like this:

HE QUIC BROWN OX UMP RIGH OVER HE Z OG

relootz

Scholar
HE UIC BROWN OX UP RIGH OVER HE AZ OG

This is what my logitech does.

Yeesh

Magister
HE QUIC BROWN OX UMP RIGH OVER HE Z OG

Me and Bruticis are cheap keyboard buddies! But mine's a "Dynex".

EDIT: Conversely, living in a small apartment and occasionally enjoying a moment or two on the keyboard when someone else is sleeping nearby, I prize the quietness of a keyboard above the very fine points of its precision.

denizsi

Arcane
Can't be cheaper than mine!

H CK BN FX JMS V H LAZ DG

But maybe it's the keyboard I'm using atm. Usually, when I'm doing anything but gaming, I use this baby (without the mouse) :

desktop-wireless9000-280.jpg

So flat, so smooth yet still gives a satisfying snappy feeling when you press a button, minus the sound which I don't care about. I do have an obsession with thin keyboards and flat buttons, though. And I've tried many before I settled with that.

It's terribly unsuited to gaming, though.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
THE UICK O O JUPS IHT OVE THE LY DO

Holy shit, my keyboard is pathetic!

BTW, Bruticis, what ever happened to that console guy who was playing Fallout and posting the results on his blog?

Bruticis

DefJam101 said:
Bruticis said:
THE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPS RIGHT OVER THE LAZY DOG

Also:
SNIP
:M

Now, that is sexy except I really don't think I can make it without the lettering. How was that transition process? FFS I know the key layout but I still have to cheat from time to time when my hands get off the home row, etc..

Reject_666_6 said:
THE UICK O O JUPS IHT OVE THE LY DO

Holy shit, my keyboard is pathetic!

BTW, Bruticis, what ever happened to that console guy who was playing Fallout and posting the results on his blog?

http://sprayahen.wordpress.com/ Basically, PST ate him alive. He seemly could not wrap his stupid, little head around the game.

Bruticis

I dunno, I said I liked the feel and sound. As to why, well watch those ricers playing starcraft, they must press 6+ keys at the same time and that just won't work on a regular keyboard.

Micmu

Magister
It's not just shift keys, it's other keys as well.
That "feature" particularly annoyed me when we tried to play multiplayer games such as Mortal Kombat or Atomic Bomberman, two players using same keyboard. So someone had to get and use a gamepad.

DefJam101

Arcane
Bruticis said:
DefJam101 said:
Bruticis said:
THE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPS RIGHT OVER THE LAZY DOG

Also:
SNIP
:M

Now, that is sexy except I really don't think I can make it without the lettering. How was that transition process?
There is a lettered version and a silent lettered version. The blank one is mostly for the lulz

In fact the entire keyboard is mostly for the lulz but it's damn sturdy and the keys feel great. Transition process is basically nonexistent. I mean every 15 minutes for the first week you'll forget a letter and spend 1 or 2 seconds finding it but after that it's easy.

zeitgeist

Magister
So how silent is the silent version of Das Keyboard? And does it feel any less clicky to the touch compared to the non-silent version?

das keyboard site said:
Model S allows full n-key rollover with a PS2 adapter, and 6 keys with USB.
Also, what's with the USB 6 key limitation, why is there a difference between PS/2 and USB in that regard?

Bruticis

The model S Pro is cherry blue which I don't want. The model S Pro silent is cherry brown, which I wouldn't mind but I'd prefer a cherry black.

As to what it sounds like, if you can tolerate the morons voice, here's a video of it in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XjfxVjP0NQ

Also, USB can only handle 6 inputs at a time, regardless of the keyboard, it's just a limitation of USB. PS/2 has no limit.

juggernaut

Educated
Never heard the term mechanical keyboard before. Thought of this:

2978402319_a959ed7750_z.jpg

2979260448_cedab6bddb_z.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom