Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mechanical Keyboards?

Topher

Cipher
THEUIKROWFOJUPSOERTHELAYDOG

Mine doesn't even let me put in any spaces?!?

Jigawatt

Arcane
THE QUIC BROW OX UMPS RIHT OER THE Y O
<- Acer aspire one inbuilt keyboard :(

And I was all :smug: until the end of quick

Btw I think the word 'right' in the above is redundant: 'The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog' already has every letter of the alphabet

CWS OE MY BI SPHIX O QURT

Bruticis

There's only pass or fail, sadly. Either you can press more than 3 keys at a time or you can't. Just some models suck less than others. I'm going to go with a Deck model.
deck105_fire.jpg

Why would anyone want to press more than 3 keys at a time? Fallout 1 does not need this, nor does PST. :?

Bruticis

When you smash your fist down in anger at the latest and greatest next gen mega game, it's important your keyboard recognize every key.

And when you play the next epic popamole streamline masterpiece that you play by facerolling.

Bethesda internal playtesting team:
faceroll.gif

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The Village Loon said:
Why would anyone want to press more than 3 keys at a time? Fallout 1 does not need this, nor does PST. :?

Maybe read some of the links given in this topic for some reasons? Oh why WHY would anyone want something better than what I have? :roll:

Also, playing Mortal Kombat in 2 on the same keyboard. Of course, it was fun to block the other player from doing anything, but still...

PorkaMorka

Arcane
On a slightly related note - what is the point of a blank keyboard? Just to show off your eliteness?

Bruticis

Most people that buy a mechanical keyboard do a lot of typing and want a keyboard that feels nice and encourages faster typing. If you take away the labeling, you also encourage faster typing by forcing yourself to type by touch.

FeelTheRads said:
The Village Loon said:

Maybe read some of the links given in this topic for some reasons? Oh why WHY would anyone want something better than what I have? :roll:

You are reading it wrong. :rpgcodex:

Lord Rocket

Erudite
OK so I've been vaguely interested in one of these since I saw a similar thread on Doomworld. Peeps who know, is there a decent 'entry level' brand of mechanical keyboard that won't break the bank (ie. sub US$100) or should I commence rationalising my purchase?

Bruticis

Lord Rocket said:
OK so I've been vaguely interested in one of these since I saw a similar thread on Doomworld. Peeps who know, is there a decent 'entry level' brand of mechanical keyboard that won't break the bank (ie. sub US$100) or should I commence rationalising my purchase?

I HATE Razor stuff (loud and over marketed) but they have a mechanical keyboard with cherry blacks (best switch for gaming) called the Black Widow that supposed to start shipping today. It's 79 bucks (no back-lighting)
http://store.razerzone.com/store/razeru ... d.52828800

Also, SteelSeries has a cherry black switch keyboard called the 6gv2 that goes for about 100 bucks. It's pretty plain jane looking and feature wise but it's supposed to be a great build quality.
http://shop.steelseries.com/us/index.ph ... -6gv2.html

I've settled on a Deck Legend for the back-lighting and they have fantastic support. It's more pricey though and runs around $160-$170
http://www.deckkeyboards.com/

Other great brands are Filco and DasKeyboard but thier models are up there in pricing like the Decks.

Bruticis

Doh, I was wrong about the Razor switch type, it's a cherry blue which is good for a mix of typing and gaming. IMO, if you're going to get a mechanical keyboard for gaming, you get cherry black, no exception.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
OK thanks, it looks like the SteelSeries is my baby since I don't want backlighting or anything like that. It looks like I might even be able to get one without importing it as well, which is an added bonus.

Epsilon

Cipher
Having both the Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate and the Steelseries 7G, I have to recommend the Das Keyboard as I have fewer gripes with that than the Steelseries.
The steelseries for one has a very large Return key and a very small backspace key, this annoys me to no end as I always end up pressing ´ instead of backspace and return when I want to press ]
Besides that it's a nice keyboard :P
The Das Keyboard is close to the IBM Model M keyboard in feel and sound though, and so it's in my opinion better than most. I haven't tried a Filco keyboard though, but I want to at some point.

Data4

Arcane
Man, I sure loved my old IBM keyboard. Damn thing was built like a tank and was about the size of one to boot. I had no idea there were clones of it still available. Right now, I'm using a Saitek Eclipse II, and I like it fine. I imagine NKRO is one of those things that would matter about 0.000001% of the time, tbh. Besides, backlighting is cool and nifty when the lights are off. I've got 3 colors to choose from, too. Red, blue, and purple.

Rhalle

Magister
The guy from whom I stole this picture apparently bought both of these at the same time:

poo.jpg

Happy Hacking Pro 2 and Realforce Tenkeyless. The pro shit. $250 each.

I also kind of like the Deck 82 SFF keyboard:

deck82_ice.jpg

Only about $100.

All three of these feature the Cherry Black switches. Also: no fucking numpad (on any of these) for the win.

relootz

Scholar
So why would one buy one?

What is the real advantage over a normal cheap keyboard in daily use?

I am contemplating buying one but what would the advantage be in real use??

Lesifoere

Liturgist
TE QUICK BROWN FOX JUP RIGT OVER TE LAZY O

Less terrible than I thought from a shitty laptop keyboard. Also lol "THEQTBRWFXJRGHTVERTHELAZYG."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom