Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline meh Ubisoft (Ubi fuckery general thread)

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
InclineSoft studios. :love:

Declined a bit, but in the 2000's they were still publishing and even making in house simulators(Silent Hunter, Il-2) and were about the last ones keeping the stealth genre alive as well(Splinter Cell) and economic simulators(Anno,Settlers) among the big AAA Publishers. Also published Dark Messiah. Lost their way when they found the Assassin's Creed cashcow, and started to release more bugged and half finished games, suggesting a lower tolerance for delays and a lack of enthusiasm for many of the genres they were keeping alive. The last few HOMM's, Il-2 Cliffs of Dover, Silent Hunter 5, Splinter Cell Conviction were all horrible messes shoved out the door with no support or took radical turns of gameplay to make them more mainstream. UBI really were terrible in 2009-2013. They did give MMX a chance at least afterwards and seem to be getting their act together(as I say this they cut patching of HOMM VII 2 months after release of expansion and tell Limbic to take a hike) but are still not the UBI of the first 21st century decade.

Last edited:

pippin

When I saw it I couldn't believe it. At least the posters had some effort put into them?

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Far Cries 3 and 4, Watch Dogs 1 (and 2 probably) are decent. No GOTY but an open world that you can get some amusement out of.

Otherwise, Ubisoft and uPlay are horrible, shocking shit. A word of warning to anyone considering getting Silent Hunter V: it is still shit and even more unplayable than before, although the online DRM was sort of fixed. Now, the quest goals (progress bar) don't usually update even if you sink ships in the correct area. The only known community 'fix' consists of giving Windows background programs globally elevated processor priority, and it does not always work either. Apparently with version 1.2 they replaced online check-ups and saves with a new background exe that simulates access to internet but saves locally.

I just tried to play last week with some mods but no fucking way. SH IV and the Wolves add-on are your best bet, too bad it's on the Pacific.

Edit: Asscreeds and HOMM series: the games got always too boring before I finished a single game (except maybe HOMM 1).

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Last time I emailed Ubi support took em a month to respond.
EA was shit too with no real help.

For sum lulz here's review of Steep, their new snowboarding game. P racist tho, only white snow available.

Gerrard

Arcane
Steep - is it worth a buy?

No. Maybe for 75% off.

There, I saved you time watching that.

Suchy

Arcane
The fuck is going on in this thread? Last time I checked, Codex hated Ubisoft right next to EA. Or am I failing sarcasm checks?

I can't recall any of their open world games that were actually good. All consisted of a sets of tasks that player perorms repetitively ad nausea. Doing the same quest over and over again, just in different places.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The fuck is going on in this thread? Last time I checked, Codex hated Ubisoft right next to EA. Or am I failing sarcasm checks?

I can't recall any of their open world games that were actually good. All consisted of a sets of tasks that player perorms repetitively ad nausea. Doing the same quest over and over again, just in different places.

I think the "Konsensus" is that unlike EA, Bethesda, Gearbox, etc, which are all evil and greedy incompetent morons that keep releasing the same games over and over, UbiSoft is merely incompetent that sometimes trie to release new games with new ideas...but mostly keep releasing the same games over and over.

tormund

Arcane
Ubisoft are p. cool guys. They release good games and occasionally even release games with new ideas. I'm proud to pre-order their games. :salute:
Same here, muh ubibro. We need new genre designation for innovative titles such as RAINBOW SIX SIEGE. They are IDEA SHOOTERS. Do you think that based Bunnyhop would agree with this??

Baron Dupek

Arcane
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...bid.php?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

French media conglomerate Vivendi has upped its stake in Ubisoft yet again, and now owns 25.15 percent of the company and 22.92 percent of its voting rights.

Vivendi has been circling the Assassin's Creed developer since October 2015, and earlier this year completed the hostile takeover of mobile game studio, Gameloft.

If the media group manages to acquire a 30 percent stake in the studio, it'll be forced by French law to table a mandatory takeover bid and pursue a controlling stake.

It's a worrying development for Ubisoft founders the Guillemot family, who've repeatedly expressed their desire to retain control of the studio.

"I love video games because the real innovation and magic comes when our teams and players are free to create. Free to innovate. Free to express themselves. Free to take risks and have fun," said Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot earlier this year.

"That's what got us here today, and that's what will drive us for another thirty years and beyond. When you are free, there is no failure. There is only forward."

It was a statement of defiance from the Ubisoft chief, who's been making increasingly public rallying cries as the threat of a hostile takeover becomes all the more real.

French fries taste good with popamole cinematic sauce

tormund

Arcane
Gamers must stand up for the based publisher UBISOFT! If they were to be taken over by the hateful corporation Vivendi, their artistic freedom and creativity would be destroyed and they will be reduced to producing endless stream of derivative, committee-designed trash.

Gerrard

Arcane
Steep is 33% off 7 weeks after release.

:vivelafrance:

Thank you early adopters.
:hero:

How long until they give it away for free?

Last edited:

typical user

Arbiter
Steep was free to grab during it's release day IIRC.

The worst part of Ubisoft is that they once in a while make something good and then try to copy this thing hoping it will sell again. I mean we have Call of Duty but it is bizzare thing on it's own, something I can't explain. Ubisoft should take notes from Rockstar and invest their money and time to make solid title not another Far Cry/Assassin's Creed in different skin. But AAA devellopers think GTA V was success because it took place in LA, so we got Battlefield: Hardline, Need for Speed, Watch Dogs 2 and many other games in Cali. Also HUD is now quadrangular.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
4QZtZDN_d.jpg

:necro:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom