Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Memoirs of a Geisha

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
Adam Sessler writes about games that are deeply tied to his personal memories from 16 years of covering games.

http://kotaku.com/memories-of-my-16-year-career-in-video-games-1580581507

go4iad8jkwzpllqeelvt.jpg

God the internet hates me. They don't just want me dead; they want to rape my wife, because . . . of resolution differences. I really can't focus on this but I am having some very dark fantasies and would love to meet one of these little NeoGAF shits out on the street.

I'm supposed to ignore it, a professional doesn't let this get to him, but they want me dead and they want to assault my family. I'm a shill, a drug addict, an avatar of evil. I don't even like this anymore; I'm tired of having to come up with something to say in front of the camera, there just isn't anything more to say that's interesting. There are two consoles and one is more expensive than the other and they're already sold out at pre-order so who gives a goddam. I just want to get the videos done and desperately track the view counts on YouTube to see if we meet our goals. But the games aren't here and I'm tired. I'm speeding down Interstate 5 and LA is nowhere in sight, the glimmering at the highway's end recedes further into the horizon, its brilliance ever dulling until it's nothing more than the end of the road and we're still not there.

At least I had Mass Effect. The symbiotic despair of the game and my self-pitying were soul mates for the four days I played non-stop. I've always felt that the controversy of the game's ending ignored that the entire game was an ending, a summation of decisions and behaviors that came before. Even the game's oh-so-infuriating "decision" at its conclusion and its seemingly indistinct results resonated with me. We are what we have done, this desire to find approbation in the final analysis, it's a falsity, a children's story we tell ourselves to mitigate the frustrations. You don't get to collect on your efforts, your efforts are all you've collected.

The affable, inimitable and extraordinary Todd Howard arrives and mentions that he has something special to show. The first half of the demo is flawless, bloodier than anything seen earlier in the day, the audience is screaming with glee as the VATS kill-cam dismembers limbs in a plasmic mist. The representative from the legal department in the control room is hapless, this is live . . . it's already out there. Then comes a demonstration of the crafted weapons, the Rock-it Launcher, and it's loaded with teddy bears. The next two minutes are a lovechild of Goya and Jerry Lewis; Teddy bears eviscerate and sever, the audience, especially a kid named Flitz, are screaming with childish sadism. Yeah it's like the Roman Coliseum but it's paydirt. We bring in some of the highest ratings ever. We'll have to replicate this again over the next 6 years and it will lead to the decision to turn X-Play into a daily show, which will overextend resources and bring about its slow demise, but at that moment . . . fucking teddy bears.

I tried Absinthe and there was a very attractive Spanish lady who wanted to see me at the same club two days later (neglecting to mention she would be with some dude).

Angthoron

Arcane
Expected a game based on a movie I saw with my ex a few years ago, with intrigue and prostitution and hard choices.

Instead I see a Sessler quotes.

Well whopdee fucking doo.

Tehdagah

Arcane
At least I had Mass Effect. The symbiotic despair of the game and my self-pitying were soul mates for the four days I played non-stop. I've always felt that the controversy of the game's ending ignored that the entire game was an ending, a summation of decisions and behaviors that came before. Even the game's oh-so-infuriating "decision" at its conclusion and its seemingly indistinct results resonated with me. We are what we have done, this desire to find approbation in the final analysis, it's a falsity, a children's story we tell ourselves to mitigate the frustrations. You don't get to collect on your efforts, your efforts are all you've collected.
Are videogames already art?

Angthoron

Arcane
Because nothing is more interesting than Adam Sandler kissing a girl to the gamer crowd.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
why the fuck is this in gg instead of gd?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom