Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Memorable little things in your games

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Daemongar said:
octavius said:
"My inn is as clean as an elven arse!" :D
Weary, and tired "Get me out of this *hell* hole"

Didn't BioWare steal that line from Quake 2?

Coyote

Arcane
Too many to list at the moment, so I'll just go with the most recent one: a reference to the Codex when setting your perception in New Vegas.

perception.jpg

Fake edit: Damn, what happened to the falcon emoticons? I liked those ones, even if they didn't really express anything.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yes. Also, at some point they reference to a huge dick. I'm so glad they made a reference to my dick into that game. Thank you Obsidian. :smug:

DraQ

Arcane
BG campy lo(l)calized voiceovers were one of the few redeeming qualities this game had.

Still, no one commenting on Wizardry 8 voices?
Or, more recently, Divinity 2 doing this whole camp thing with considerable amount of charm?

Also, no fellow Poles commenting on "...gdzie jest prawo i sprawiedliwość?" from Witcher?
:/

Varn said:
Can we get these Eurotrash out of this thread? We don't wanna hear your high-cheekboned guttural slavic shit in our thread.

Thanks,
Fucking newfags, how do they work?
:x

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
French localizations are often hilarious too. That goes with BG, but also with the Might&Magic series. Sadly, it was not as funny when you find out the game can't be completed anymore because of added bugs.

One little memorable thing was the Ultima VI manual that was translated, but not the game. Trivia : How did the U6 copy protection work, eh ?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
I forgot to mention how I like that there is an obvious codex reference in Ultima IV. And so did the aztecs.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
New Vegas definitely has deliberate Codex references, the one about "the Codex [being] full of archaic bullshit" is just too cute to be unintentional.

Coyote said:
Fake edit: Damn, what happened to the falcon emoticons? I liked those ones, even if they didn't really express anything.

They just didn't fit the criteria for emoticon inclusion that we've set up over the last couple of months. Said criteria require that all emoticons be used as reaction images on /b/ at least once per page, and... er... that's it.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
octavius said:
Daemongar said:
octavius said:
"My inn is as clean as an elven arse!" :D
Weary, and tired "Get me out of this *hell* hole"

Didn't BioWare steal that line from Quake 2?

Well, as one who played both to death, I don't remember that line in Quake 2. On the other hand, Quake 2 came out in '97, Baldur's Gate came out in '98. Of course, Spinal Tap came out in '84, and it had a song "Hell Hole" so maybe both of them ripped off that movie.

Hmm, that would be an awesome bit of trivia if you are right, but I can't seem to remember it or bring myself to play Q2 again.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Arx Fatalis: Discovering that the secret language that the Sisters are speaking is the Lizardmen language from Ultima Underworld.

Secret Of Monkey Island: Looking inside the tree stump in the forest maze and being asked to insert disk #5263 or somesuch. This joke was only in the floppy disk version of the game, and has been omitted from all subsequent releases.

Curse of Monkey Island: Looking out through a hole in the Goodsoup family crypt and seeing Guybrush's head sticking out of the tree stump mentioned above.

Maniac Mansion: Playing the high-pitched frequency recording (used to break the chandelier) to Green Tentacle.

Half-Life 2: How you can break this game so badly if you're clever. The HL2 Time Attack shows this perfectly, including cases like where you beat Dr. Breen to the elevator in the endgame and riding up with him to the singularity reactor.

Neverwinter Nights: Speaking of voice-overs, one of the female voices in this game has an attack call that goes "I shall see you cut asunder!". However, it sounds to me like she's saying "I shall see you, kattasandur!" "Kattasandur" is kitty litter in Icelandic.

Thief 2: In the bank mission, there's another way to get into the vault: Wait 8 hours in-game. Then the clock will be 8:00 AM and the time-lock will automatically unlock the vault doors. Easy!

Thief 3: THE ATTIC DOOR IN SHALEBRIDGE CRADLE.

Ghostbusters: Listening to all the messages on the answering machine. "Help! My backyard is being haunted by vicious ghosts! They're dressed like hobos!"

Quest For Glory 1 (VGA version at least): Giving wrong answers to the gargoyle at Erasmus's place. Not only are some of them quite funny, but constantly walking up the mountain is GREAT workout for your stats.

Serious Sam: Second Encounter: At least one of the levels is designed in such a way that it's very easy to rocket-jump outside of the level boundaries. Being aware of this, Croteam put in LOTS of bounce pads all around to help players get back into the action.

Psychonauts: This scene.

Just to name a few.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Unkillable Cat said:
Curse of Monkey Island: Looking out through a hole in the Goodsoup family crypt and seeing Guybrush's head sticking out of the tree stump mentioned above.

Quest For Glory 1 (VGA version at least): Giving wrong answers to the gargoyle at Erasmus's place. Not only are some of them quite funny, but constantly walking up the mountain is GREAT workout for your stats.

Awww.
:love:

Texas Red

Whiner
I liked that you could "try out" the sex robot in NV before sending him over to the Atomic Wrangler. I also shagged absolutely everything I could find, including an old woman and a ghoul cowboy dominatrix. This is an improvement from Arcanum's Belle :oops: , which is high praise indeed.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
More stuff:

Afterlife and Magic: The Gathering: I'm naming them for the same reason: The excellent tutorial. Both of these games have a pair of tutors that do not get along with each other, using every free moment to poke insults and retorts at each other.

Sid & Al's Incredible Toons: Where The Incredible Machine just gave you loads of things to use to reach the goal with a minimum of "interaction", Sid & Al's took the interaction bit to a whole new level. Place Sid the mouse in front of Al the cat, and you'll get a classic cat and mouse chase. Place Al within sight of a fish and he'll waddle over to eat it. Put Sid within sight of the elephant and she'll scream and turn the other way. The examples I'm naming are just the tip of the iceberg here, if you're fans of the Tom & Jerry cartoons this game is a must.

Monty Python's... can't remember which title: If you choose to "register" the product, you must answer about 120 questions, most of which have no impact or relation upon the game.

Boppin': A simple little puzzle game with a strange-looking protagonist, who if he runs out of lives PULLS OUT A GUN AND BLOWS HIS BRAINS OUT. It's a weird "WTF?" moment that shows you that there's more to this game than meets the eye.

Starglider 2: The really cool little fact that whizzing over the planet's surface, to flying through underground tunnels, to blasting off into space is all done within the same "session". There's maybe a moment of loading between the areas, but otherwise it's seamless. It really helps to show you just how big the gameworld really is. Also, flying too close to the sun. :)

Stubbs The Zombie: The little conversations people have between themselves before realizing that there's a SLOBBERING ZOMBIE RIGHT BEHIND THEM. Also the things people say while you're eating them.

Tyrian: Not only is it an excellent shoot'em-up, but it's also one of those games that is so chock-full of hidden and secret things, I'm not sure anyone has ever found them all yet.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Unkillable Cat said:
Arx Fatalis: Discovering that the secret language that the Sisters are speaking is the Lizardmen language from Ultima Underworld.
Ahhhahaha! You gave me reason to try Arx Fatalis, yeshor'click.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Unkillable Cat said:
Monty Python's... can't remember which title: If you choose to "register" the product, you must answer about 120 questions, most of which have no impact or relation upon the game.
Quest for the Holy Grail.

And if you've seen the movie you'll know exactly which questions (and answers) have an impact on the game :smug:

It was one humongous waste of time (being a sequel to Complete Waste of Time, this should be hardly surprising) but it was tons of fun.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
:necro:

I was reminded of this thread by accident. I'm curious to know what new "little things" people have learned in the 5+ years since this thread was made, plus what "new" Codexers have to add to it, hence the 'necro.

Meanwhile, I'll add a few more "little things" myself:

4D Sports Driving/Stunts: Probably the most infamous "bug" this game has. Pick a fast enough car and drive down a straight track that has plenty of bridge jumps, one after the other. After about the 5th or 6th jump the car will suddenly grow tired with gravity and fall upwards for about 10 seconds or so, before gravity reasserts its authority.

Dune: Finding a sietch that Stilgar doesn't know about nets you a compliment from him.

Jagged Alliance: Reading the description for "Unusually Ruthless" Reuban...then hiring him and realizing the hedge trimmer is part of his starting gear! Better yet, have a team with Ivan on it, hire Reuban, then see what happens during off-time between days. (Did I forget to mention that Reuban is Romanian?)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
After 20 years of playing the Heroes of Might&Magic games I recently learnt while playing HoMM 2 that you can cast Dimension Door when on a ship.

Jagged Alliance: Reading the description for "Unusually Ruthless" Reuban...then hiring him and realizing the hedge trimmer is part of his starting gear! Better yet, have a team with Ivan on it, hire Reuban, then see what happens during off-time between days. (Did I forget to mention that Reuban is Romanian?)

Having played JA before X-COM I really miss the personalities of those crazy bastards when playing X-COM.

DemonKing

Arcane
I remember in one of the HL2 expansion packs there's some manager-type laying down the rules in a rocket silo and a nameless NPC walks behind him and does a parody Hitler salute in the background. Just a small thing but really nicely done.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Maybe not that memorable, but I remember playing Black and White when I was a kid and the fucking game suddenly shouted my name while I was playing. Almost ended up on the ceiling from the jump I made. For a while I thought I was crazy since it didn't seem possible that the game just called my name out of nowhere, only much later I found it was an easter egg they put in the game, probably to kill kids like me from a heart attack.

pippin

-I've been thinking...: The Sir could really beef up security some.
-What d'ya mean? What's wrong with us?
-Well we're fine, but I've been thinking we should watch the outside some more.
-That's stupid! People ta worry about--they're on the inside.
-No, then you catch them before they get inside, you taffer!
-Ooooooh.

First time playing Thief, first time hearing "taffer". To this day the "ooooooh" kills me.

Freddie

Savant
- Realising stuff scientists needed in Parallax were drugs.
- Overhearing conversation about criminals labour union and future plans
- All those disks buried in the wasteland...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom