Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear DISCUSS!!!111!

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Damn, this thread made me want to check out the series D: What's the canon order of the games? (no spin-offs please)

Garryydde

Arcane
Patron
Douchebag! Repressed Homosexual
Damn, this thread made me want to check out the series D: What's the canon order of the games? (no spin-offs please)
In chronological order:
MGS3, Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes, The Phantom Pain, Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, MGS1, MGS2, MGS4 and then Rising if you count it.

Although it is best to play through the series in release order.

Last edited:

Kamoho

Savant
Don't forget Portable ops which takes place between MGS3 and Peace Walker.
1yE8Z.gif

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I'd describe your average Metal Gear Solid plot as a bad story that's been told well. When you examine alot of the details for each of the games, especially 3, alot of the details don't make an awful lot of sense and alot of developments only work out if the characters happen to be really fucking stupid, but you don't really care at the time because you're being attacked by a motherfucker who shoots bees out of his mouth like goddamn bullets.

be7.jpg

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Let's not kid ourselves here, the man has to completely retcon the canon every fucking time he makes a new entry in the series because his shit gets so utterly convoluted. He's a great cinematographer, and he really does love all his military trivia, but when it comes to writing a story he's a real uneven deal. Sometimes it's genius (i.e. MGS2), other times it's just fucking awful ("YOU WERE THE LIGHTNING IN THE RAIN"). He's one of gaming's few 'successful' auteurs, and has all the pros (he gets to do whatever he wants without publisher interference) and cons (he gets to do whatever he wants without publisher interference) that comes along with it.

Not part of the canon :mrfussy:

Broad strokes

Kamoho

Savant
I stand corrected. The bot should be an emote, though.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Someone really cares about MGS'canon?
It has always been meta as fuck on purpose, the story is just an accessory to gameplay and philosophizing, I like it very muc but others could disagree.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The Metal Gear stories are great. The dialogues might not be well written (at least their english translation), but the storylines are amazing, and just shows that japanese game creators have more imagination than western ones.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Daily reminder that this is going to be the greatest piece of culture ever created by humans

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Daily reminder that this is going to be the greatest piece of culture ever created by humans

I want to give you a brofist but i can't.

Shit, i want play that shit so hard. It looks awesome, but i hope that they added an option to disable that bullet time, it is fucking broken. For example, You are discovered, then the time slows and you make a fast 180 degrees twist while the world is in slowmotion and BAM! A Headshot for the motherfucker. It's extremely broken.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Well considering you can disable reflex in Ground Zeroes and you even get bonus points for doing so, I would presume the option is still there in TPP.

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
To add to the discussion, MGS3 is my favorite, closely followed by 1. Both games benefit from not being a direct sequel and are more or less self-contained stories compared to 2 and 4, and I think this is where Kojima's brand of storytelling works best for me.

The second game is remarkable for the mindfucks it provided (especially if one was following the pre-release material), but it was also the point where I stopped taking the overall story seriously. The game raised questions that were never meant to answered, and I realized that for the sake of my own sanity, it's best to enjoy the ceaseless plot twists and double-crossings within each game without thinking too deeply about how the events fit into an overall narrative.

However batshit insane the stories get, trying to master the games on their hardest difficulties was the primary reason I was drawn to them, and as long as that gameplay design is not compromised (Ground Zeroes is especially reassuring), I reckon I'll remain a fan.

Deleted member 7219

Is Ground Zeroes worth buying for $15?

Depends whether you want to spend $15 on something that will only last 2 hours. Completing it unlocks the hard mode and additional side missions (which I haven't found a way to access yet) which is supposed to bring it up to 5 hours.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
you can import saves into phantom pain, so it will prolly unlock some stuff there.

dunno lah

Arcane
Depends whether you want to spend $15 on something that will only last 2 hours. Completing it unlocks the hard mode and additional side missions (which I haven't found a way to access yet) which is supposed to bring it up to 5 hours.

Whut?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom