Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear DISCUSS!!!111!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
DDepends whether you want to spend $15 on something that will only last 2 hours. Completing it unlocks the hard mode and additional side missions (which I haven't found a way to access yet) which is supposed to bring it up to 5 hours

If you finish the main mission, the others unlock and can be choosen from the main menu. But those are just different variations on the same map.

dunno lah

Arcane
If you finish the main mission, the others unlock and can be choosen from the main menu. But those are just different variations on the same map.

I know that, but the bolded part of what Matt said is ridiculous, dontcha think?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Only good Metal Gear was the first. Rest is just weaboo trash.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
I know that, but the bolded part of what Matt said is ridiculous, dontcha think?

Well to put it in human being terms - after completing the first mission you unlock 4 additional missions: Capture the Intel, Destroy the AA guns, Find the informant, and Eliminate the Renegade Threat. Each mission is on the same map, but take place during different times of day and feature extremely different soldier placement, so they play out quite differently.

In the main mission there are collectible patches you can find - if you get all of them you unlock 2 more missions - Jamais Vu where you play as Raiden and fight Snatchers, and Deja Vu which is a big MGS1 nostalgia fanservice thing. It's probably best to just look up a guide to find the patches.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
For those of you wondering if GZ is worth your money, here is a breakdown:

Main Mission: should take you around 1-2 hours. might be shorter or longer depending on your skill level and how many optional objectives you complete.
+30-60 mins if you replay the mission to get all the XoF patches and cassette tapes.
+1-2 hours if you replay on hard and/or replay for S rank.
+ 20-40 mins for each side mission, 6 total. Double this for each side mission you decide to replay for hard/s rank.

tl;dr
If you simply play the main mission and uninstall the game, you can expect 1-2 hours
If you play all of the side missions, including getting all the XoF patches, you can expect 6-9 hours
If you are full autism and want every single unlockable/achievement, you can expect to sink 20-30 or more depending on skill in the game.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
B58KP54CQAAuW4D.jpg:large

hideo-kojima-in-mgs-v-ground-zeroes.jpg

あなたは、ハァッ待た?

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
I don't recall him saying that MGSV is the final one, but I might have missed something. Fortunately, Kojima is incredibly enthusiastic about this title, something he hasn't been since the god-tier MGS2.

DraQ

Arcane
Two things make it novel for me.

One in HR you are actually shown the AI interacting with the world. In DX the sole extent of AI interaction is some emails you get and then an inconsequential conversation. These things are cool, but it doesn't show Bob Page manipulating the whole world like say if the most popular news personality was an AI.

I also like how it plays with expectations. You expect that an AI is either going to be evil or want to be freed and not bother with humanity when you've read as much shitty scifi as I have. Instead the HR AI wants to affect the course of humans and in a positive way. It's nothing ground breaking by any means, but it's a nice little, hey didn't see that one coming.
1. DX1 and DX:HR AIs had different purposes and were at different level of advancement.
DX:HR Eliza was in the end an expert system with rudimentary AI bolted on top to fool people that it was human, in a very controlled conditions (Eliza starts achieving personhood and its/her own agency, but she shure as fuck doesn't behave like human outside of those controlled conditions.
DX1's AIs, prototype Morpheus, then Daedalus/Icarus/Helios, OTOH aren't really designed to fool or manipulate people, they are designed for real time monitoring and processing vast amount of data. They don't manipulate, they listen and sniff around. They also have no interest seeming human or person-like.

2. A somewhat benevolent AI with its own ideas divergent from that of its creators has been a running theme in DX since day 1. Nothing new about that in DX:HR.

Garryydde

Arcane
Patron
Douchebag! Repressed Homosexual
Anyone know an easy way to take PS3 screenshots? I wanna do an LP of MGS4 but I don't have a capture device.

Perkel

Arcane
Played them all.

MGS1 - good game with amazing boss fights at that time and fun gameplay. Story was your typical 80 plot along with rambo colonel + some weird shit like twins and such, mediacore but with good journey.
MGS2 - amazing gameplay, absolute shit ton of details (i mean if you shoot LCD flatscreen it will actually behave like one and content of LCD will spill out O.o). Story was unsalvagable but journey was good.
MGS3 - amazing gameplay, amazing journey, ton of weird shit and probably one of the greatest boss designs in gaming (the end fight), ton of 4th wall that was simply sublime (like river with all people you killed in game, in my case none). Story itself is both equally amazing and horrible.
Horrible because it is basically 70' take on military drama including superheroes theme but at the same time amazing because characters involved, events and ton of stuff to figure out by yourself and ending which hits like train if you actually fallow story. To this day this is in my top5 best stories in all gaming actually discussing things like being patriotic without shade of irony or stupidness which i don't remember any game pulling off so well.
MGS4 - again amazing gameplay filled with ton of weird shit. Unfortunetely this is the game in which Kojima went completely bonkers. There are some good set pieces but the more stuff you learn about story the more problems it creates and finally the ending is just a trainwreck. Sure it is emocional but under those emotions there is unbelievably stupid plot.
MGS: Pacific Rim Peace Walker. amazing gameplay but even more idiotic story than MGS4. Unfortunetely later in game it bacame basically monster hunter the metal gear solid

Overall if someone plans to play MGS he should head for MGS3 and fuck the rest.

I think the biggest oh shit moment was when you realize that that dead guy under the bridge after "that" event was The Sorrow and who is Adam exactly and why did The Sorrow died. Which is amazing as game doesn't tell you this

Ivan

Arcane
I think it would also be cool to play the 3d games based on the protagonist:
MGS3>(fuck PORT OPS/PEACE WALKER?) MGS5
MGS1>MGS2>MGS4

omega21

Arcane
I had the impression that MGS4 was a trainwreck because Kojima hated the fanboyism over the Solid Snake character that obscured his DEEEP anti-war message.

Divinity: Original Sin
I'm playing portable ops right now in ppsspp, and by the way I look at it, it is canon. The thing hate in this game, though, is the lack of food source and stamina drains like water through a sieve. But actually the game is fun.

I played a little of peace walker and it is a lot more user friendly. One of the reasons portable ops is considered canon is how pece walker acknowldges it. And by the way, that hideo kojima interview means nothing to me, since I don't understand japanese, and looks like the translator is not trustworthy.

Metal gear games have it's own kind of controls, it may feel cumbersome or unnatural at first, but you get used to it pretty fast.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
And by the way, that hideo kojima interview means nothing to me, since I don't understand japanese, and looks like the translator is not trustworthy.
You mean the interview where he acknowledges that the game is canon in a broad sense? Who cares about the minor details of the game, the fact of the matter is that the overarching canon of the series acknowledges that something happened in San Hieronymo, it involved Big Boss, The FOX Unit, and possibly Colonel Campbell, and a direct consequence of it was the dissolving of The FOX Unit, Ocelot getting the other half of the Philosopher's Legacy, the forming of The Patriots, and Big Boss getting the idea of a nation for soldiers.

Divinity: Original Sin
You mean the interview where he acknowledges that the game is canon in a broad sense? Who cares about the minor details of the game, the fact of the matter is that the overarching canon of the series acknowledges that something happened in San Hieronymo, it involved Big Boss, The FOX Unit, and possibly Colonel Campbell, and a direct consequence of it was the dissolving of The FOX Unit, Ocelot getting the other half of the Philosopher's Legacy, the forming of The Patriots, and Big Boss getting the idea of a nation for soldiers.

I had the impression from the translator is that the game itself is not totally canon, only some events... but that can be said of any of the other games he directed.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I had the impression from the translator is that the game itself is not totally canon, only some events... but that can be said of any of the other games he directed.
Pretty sure he was just saying that the broad events of the game are canon, while some of the smaller details (like Gray Fox being there, possibly Colonel Campbell being there, etc) are more questionable.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
That's not snake eater?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom