Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear DISCUSS!!!111!

dunno lah

Arcane
Now imagine if MGS5 had John Cygan doing Big Boss' voice...

Ivan

Arcane
My first MGS was 2 and, expectedly, I had no fucking idea what was going on. Mind you I played it when I was like 13 years old but what I remember are: naked raiden, ROSE, Campbell losing his shit (how many scissors does one man need), a black chick with Ray's gun. Anyway, fast forward to MGS3 and it was fucking AWESOME. I bought it again when Subsitence came out. Bunnyhop has a cool video that encapsulates what makes it cool. Anyway, I missed out on MGS4 since that last console I owned before my wii u was a ps2. Oh and I recently played MGS1 via emulator and it was p cool. I fucking hated the keycard fetch quest though.

Trotsky

Arcane
Metal Gear Solid has bad plots? Some of you try too hard to be edgy. The first three games were amazing with MGS3 being the apex of the series. Everything went downhill big time afterward but those three games are classics.

Trotsky

Arcane
Let's not kid ourselves here, the man has to completely retcon the canon every fucking time he makes a new entry in the series because his shit gets so utterly convoluted. He's a great cinematographer, and he really does love all his military trivia, but when it comes to writing a story he's a real uneven deal. Sometimes it's genius (i.e. MGS2), other times it's just fucking awful ("YOU WERE THE LIGHTNING IN THE RAIN"). He's one of gaming's few 'successful' auteurs, and has all the pros (he gets to do whatever he wants without publisher interference) and cons (he gets to do whatever he wants without publisher interference) that comes along with it.

The writing staff changed after the third game which helps explain a lot.

Questions like ‘who are The Patriots?’ and ‘was Big Boss good or evil?’ are only interesting if they aren’t answered, and the same goes for the supernatural elements that permeated the series pre-MGS4. Ghosts, vampires, psychics, mysterious organizations, moral ambiguity—all these things used to be part of the same, hard-to-pin-down universe of Metal Gear, when Kojima and his previous co-writer, Tomokazu Fukushima, seemed more interested in befuddling expectations than meeting them.

I find it suspicious that the Metal Gear universe took a turn for the worse when Fukushima mysteriously vanished after MGS3. Fukushima was not only the writer of MGS1, MGS2, and MGS3 (which may explain why they remain somewhat consistent) but he also wrote Metal Gear Ghost Babel, which is even more anti-American than MGS2 in some respects (Its plot is a modern take on the Babel myth, with the U.S. in the role of God, promoting ethnic chaos as insurance against being dethroned by a unified Third World.) which makes it doubly suspicious that the anti-Americanism of the main series took a nosedive at precisely the moment Fukushima left.

http://outsideyourheaven.blogspot.com/2012/04/decline-of-anti-americanism-in-metal.html

Last edited:

Trotsky

Arcane
Now imagine if MGS5 had John Cygan doing Big Boss' voice...

I've always felt John Cygan should have been given the role of Big Boss from the start. At the very least they should have gone with a different voice actor if only to make each Snake unique. I still can't understand why Cygan isn't voicing Big Boss now when it would make the most sense for the transition.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Metal Gear Solid has bad plots? Some of you try too hard to be edgy. The first three games were amazing with MGS3 MGS2 being the apex of the series. Everything went downhill big time afterward but those three games are classics.

Fixed that for you. Still pretty close to 100% correct though!

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I think the major shortcoming of MGS4's story, trying to explain everything (ie, Vamp's powers), was not solely due to one of the co-writers changing (after all, Murata did ZoE2 so he'll always be cool). I think it's first and foremost because of your average fanboy for anything being a fucknugget that DEMANDS explanations. And when you have to do that to something like Vamp, you're faced with the impossible decision of either plunging your real world-based sci-fi war story into corrosion by full-on fantasy (as then no rules really apply anymore), or coming up with a really lame sci-fi explanation for it (which in turn ruins the whole fun of having a random vampire show up). Origin of Vamp's powers is an example of a question that CANNOT be answered without damage.

But, your average modern-day nerd wants exhaustive pre-chewed answers, and cannot tolerate mysteries or loose ends ("PLOTHOLE!!!111!!").

Garryydde

Arcane
Patron
Douchebag! Repressed Homosexual
5TBJpsp.jpg

Ivan

Arcane
Replaying MGS2 since when it came out and I forgot about this line. Haven't laughed so hard in a good while.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Metal Gear Solid has bad plots? Some of you try too hard to be edgy. The first three games were amazing with MGS3 being the apex of the series. Everything went downhill big time afterward but those three games are classics.

It doesn't require edginess to accuse the MGS games of having ridiculous, fanfiction plots. It just requires taste.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Played them all.

MGS3 - amazing gameplay, amazing journey, ton of weird shit and probably one of the greatest boss designs in gaming (the end fight), ton of 4th wall that was simply sublime (like river with all people you killed in game, in my case none). Story itself is both equally amazing and horrible.
Horrible because it is basically 70' take on military drama including superheroes theme but at the same time amazing because characters involved, events and ton of stuff to figure out by yourself and ending which hits like train if you actually fallow story. To this day this is in my top5 best stories in all gaming actually discussing things like being patriotic without shade of irony or stupidness which i don't remember any game pulling off so well.
So in your opinion, would MSG3 still be so awesome if you don't play MSG1 and/or MSG2 at all ?

Perkel

Arcane
Played them all.

MGS3 - amazing gameplay, amazing journey, ton of weird shit and probably one of the greatest boss designs in gaming (the end fight), ton of 4th wall that was simply sublime (like river with all people you killed in game, in my case none). Story itself is both equally amazing and horrible.
Horrible because it is basically 70' take on military drama including superheroes theme but at the same time amazing because characters involved, events and ton of stuff to figure out by yourself and ending which hits like train if you actually fallow story. To this day this is in my top5 best stories in all gaming actually discussing things like being patriotic without shade of irony or stupidness which i don't remember any game pulling off so well.
So in your opinion, would MSG3 still be so awesome if you don't play MSG1 and/or MSG2 at all ?

It would be even better because i wouldn't then give a shit about snakes, pliskins, teh robots of doom and so on.

MGS1 and MGS2 weren't amazing games to begin with. MGS1 biggest achievement was that it looked cinematic which is basically what papamole these days rage about and most of MGS2 wow factor was graphic which looked mind blowing back then and ton of weird stuff like shooting lcd and that lcd would leak like real lcd and stuff like that.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If you're asking about what order to play them, 3 is basically unconnected to 1 or 2 plotwise.

There are a couple recurring characters, but 3 takes place 40 years before 1. You'll miss a few callbacks (call forwards?), but nothing major.

The biggest problem would be if you like it a lot and decide you want to play the whole series, going back to 1 and 2 is kind of rough after the gameplay refinements of 3.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
Agreed. MGS3 is much more of a sandbox than the first two which are much more linear, and have more cutscenes than gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom