Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear DISCUSS!!!111!

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
So in your opinion, would MSG3 still be so awesome if you don't play MSG1 and/or MSG2 at all ?
If you're asking about what order to play them, 3 is basically unconnected to 1 or 2 plotwise.

There are a couple recurring characters, but 3 takes place 40 years before 1. You'll miss a few callbacks (call forwards?), but nothing major.

The biggest problem would be if you like it a lot and decide you want to play the whole series, going back to 1 and 2 is kind of rough after the gameplay refinements of 3.
Agreed. MGS3 is much more of a sandbox than the first two which are much more linear, and have more cutscenes than gameplay.

I'm starting to wonder if the MGS3 fans are all nostalgiafags or what.

I've replayed both 2+3, and this is my honest opinion of their gameplay

MGS2 Pros
+ Super refined Pac Man stealth, fairly fast paced and good arcade action
+ Tightly designed levels
+ Great scalability with higher difficulties
+ No fiddling with menus
+ Fantastic pacing in future playthroughs if you skip the cutscenes/codecs
+ Tons of great VR missions/alternate missions.

MGS2 Negative
- Repetitive environments
- Finding the radar stations is trivial on subsequent playthroughs
- Less interesting bosses than 1/3

MGS3 Pros
+ Some of the larger rooms feel truly open (don't let anyone fool you, MGS3 is a series of rooms, not an actual open sprawling location)
+ Some of the best bosses in the series
+ Lots of cool shit to find and do. Wider variety of setpiece gameplay moments.
+ Wide variety of environments
+ Lots of neat easter eggs with weaknesses of the bosses and alternate ways to defeat them

MGS3 Negative
- Constant pausing of menus
- Cure system isn't even needed since wounds just heal over time
- Camo system is actually just pause the game, navigate through clunky menus, then equip the highest numbers
- Weapon management system, while cool on paper, ends up just being pause the game, navigate through menus, then equip what you need.
- Have to crawl fucking everywhere, especially on the first playthrough.

That's my opinion. Honestly, while MGS3 has a ton of cool ideas and variety of shit you can do, the gameplay isn't strictly better than 2's. They are simply much different in style. I think you have all forgotten how much time in 3 is wasted opening the fucking pause menu over and over. GOT HIT BY A FEW BULLETS? GOTTA PAUSE TIME AND APPLY A SPLINT. GOT POISONED? GOTTA PAUSE AND EAT SOME ANTIDOTE. By the end of the game, after realizing that wounds disappear after a short while I just kind of stopped bothering. Even then, LEFT SOME BUSHES AND THIS IS A TIGHT AREA? GOTTA PAUSE AND CHANGE MUH CAMO.

It's a great game, but I really wonder exactly why people think it would be tough to return to 2.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Never liked the MGS series much.

Thanks for sharing men. It was important that I knew this fact about you. I encourage everyone to actually add the fact that Skyar doesn't like MGS series to their personal .txts

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Phage

How can you mention MGS3 gameplay and not mention CQ-motherfucking-C?

Also in the subsistence version (the only one I played), the moveable camera just feels so freeing, the pacman design—which I don't even hate—feels restrictive and dampens my enjoyment.

I've always been a bigger sucker for lots of cool ideas compared to fewer good ideas well refined (see: my love for Fallout).

Also, I think needing to heal injuries vs letting them heal on their own is based on difficulty, on harder difficulties they'll heal more slowly or not at all.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Phage

How can you mention MGS3 gameplay and not mention CQ-motherfucking-C?

Also in the subsistence version (the only one I played), the moveable camera just feels so freeing, the pacman design—which I don't even hate—feels restrictive and dampens my enjoyment.

I've always been a bigger sucker for lots of cool ideas compared to fewer good ideas well refined (see: my love for Fallout).

Also, I think needing to heal injuries vs letting them heal on their own is based on difficulty, on harder difficulties they'll heal more slowly or not at all.

Well, the CQC system was better in 3, sure, and I would definitely call it an improvement, but getting a different melee attack for tilting stick isn't really that huge of a change in my opinion.

We'll have to disagree on the camera vs pac-stealth. I enjoy both, but even 3's third person camera is pretty clunky compared to 4/5's. Just be glad you don't own the original snake eater (which I do) since it's literally only pac-stealth in those jungle rooms :lol: (I did replay it in the HD collection, and the third person camera is a huge upgrade)

I did some research, and it seems that only poison and maybe 1-2 other types of injuries won't heal on their own. It seems to be the same on hard, but you're more susceptible to catching colds and shit. On Extreme you die in 1-3 hits anyways, so it doesn't really matter.

Machocruz

Arcane
MGS2 demo was one of the best sandboxes ever. People spent hours on the demo alone playing around with the enemy AI. It was Big Shell that I didn't feel carried on with it. The architecture and guard placements made it difficult to approach the game in the same way you could in the tanker. You were either on a narrow pathway -not enough space to do any crazy guard experiments- or in another guard's line of sight.

Machocruz

Arcane
You can't accuse KojiPro of not being unique. Can't think of other games with so many quirky, outside of the box ideas. Probably the only reason to look forward to Death Stranding.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Every MGS game is good. Even MGS4, with its big sin of being so fuckin unbalanced between cinematics and gameplay. Metal gear online 2 was the proof about how rich MGS4 gameplay was.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
MGS 2 was the best, clearly.
mgs2 wasnt the best, but it was good. Solidus was an interesting antagonist and the themes and plot of mgs2 were not only interesting but reflect a lot of what has been happening in the modern world for the past 10 years. It also features a katana.

Terenty

Liturgist
Kojima and Kojipro are legendary. They are the only AAA dev team worth a damn. Anyone saying MGS series is shit is either a retard or hasnt played it.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Thought it would be better to continue my comments here than in the MGS3 remake thread.

I'm playing Snake Eater again, in RCPS3, with the "Normal" camera only. I disabled "3rd person view" in the settings. Haven't played the game like this in maybe seventeen years, though I switched to the "Normal" camera often on nearly every playthrough since Subsistence was released.

Using a Retro Fighters Defender for pressure sensitivity. It's an decent controller, but I wish PS2 controllers were supported.

I don't know why I ever played these games with subtitles. Pretty distracting. All I'd like to have subbed are the abbreviations.

Still don't care for the James Bond opening. Sorry, it's lame. The visuals are lame, mostly footage of Snake in the game. The lyrics are lame. The singer isn't that skilled of a vocalist. At least Bluepoint Games used a higher quality video file than on the PS2 version. All the pre-rendered cutscenes are improved (but not HD).

Some of the mechanics feel half-baked. The cure system. If I have been shot, I take out the bullet and let the rest heal on its own, because going through all the different items feels too... I don't know, simplistic. Rote.

The collectibles are so different from almost every modern game. I mean that they all have a purpose. Compare that to some bullshit like the recent Tomb Raider trilogy, where there is junk littered EVERYWHERE and little of it does anything but fill a completion percentage. I don't remember if I ever hit all the kerotans. I collected everything a few times over the years, but acquired the infinity face paint by catching the tsuchinoko rather than hitting all the frog figures. Finding the kerotans on this playthrough, my first in eleven years. It really slows the pace of the game to a crawl sometimes, when also watching the cutscenes and speaking over the radio often. Kind of satisfying, though. Finding them, I mean.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom