Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid 4

Egosphere

Arcane
Funny how mgs converged with splinter cell in camera view and controls, despite Kojima's reputation as some genius 'visionary'

sullynathan

Arcane
Funny how mgs converged with splinter cell in camera view and controls, despite Kojima's reputation as some genius 'visionary'
I'm new to this series but well versed in splinter cell.

MGS4 has controls that work but they're foreign in comparison to MGSV which plays like a splinter cell game.

I guess they eventually found out that crouch sneaking is optimal.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
the first 2 chapters had such nice gameplay, shame the game shat ifself afterwards. Kojima games always manage to get you enthusiastic at the beginning and then manage to disappoint.

sullynathan

Arcane
Cracked the code for the game and beat act 1 & 2. It seems ghosting this game, as in sneaking through and not killing/knocking out anyone, is either impossible or really difficult so I'm not gonna do it.

The tranq gun is op as hell and has something like 250 shots which is more than enough for every guard in an act. Tranq gun also has no limit when it comes to armored and unarmored soldiers which is a stark contrast with mgs5 where your tranq pistols and silenced Sniper's won't penetrate helmets.

I haven't dug deep into buying weapons because enemies drop so many of them that you don't really need ammo or more guns unless you just go on a killing spree. It makes you wish mgs5 only kept the weapon customization and removed the mother base weapon development.

The boss laughing ocelot was actually pretty cool with how she constantly shifted around the environment, cloaked herself to hide from snake and also used her heat seeking missiles to find. I remember sneaking under a table and she cloaked herself taunting snake, I was close enough that she was somewhat showing on my screen and I shot her. It's like a deus ex human revolution boss but better.

Act 2 also threw a wrench in mission objectives by tailing naomi through her footprints and insisting that you use the solid eye and then later reveals that the solid eye makes too much noise and draws enemies to your position. So it's interesting use of the gadgets in gameplay.

It's too bad that the cutscenes are way too long. Game says I've posted for 6 hours but 4 hours+ of those are cutscenes. Leading into act 3 has 4 long cutscenes back to back before you play.
You also have turret shooting sequences which aren't great but were popular back in the day.
Worst of all is the short gameplay sequence of escaping geckos that only lasts for 30 seconds to get into another cutscene.

Solid Snail

Learned
Cracked the code for the game and beat act 1 & 2. It seems ghosting this game, as in sneaking through and not killing/knocking out anyone, is either impossible or really difficult so I'm not gonna do it.

The tranq gun is op as hell and has something like 250 shots which is more than enough for every guard in an act. Tranq gun also has no limit when it comes to armored and unarmored soldiers which is a stark contrast with mgs5 where your tranq pistols and silenced Sniper's won't penetrate helmets.

I haven't dug deep into buying weapons because enemies drop so many of them that you don't really need ammo or more guns unless you just go on a killing spree. It makes you wish mgs5 only kept the weapon customization and removed the mother base weapon development.

The boss laughing ocelot was actually pretty cool with how she constantly shifted around the environment, cloaked herself to hide from snake and also used her heat seeking missiles to find. I remember sneaking under a table and she cloaked herself taunting snake, I was close enough that she was somewhat showing on my screen and I shot her. It's like a deus ex human revolution boss but better.

Act 2 also threw a wrench in mission objectives by tailing naomi through her footprints and insisting that you use the solid eye and then later reveals that the solid eye makes too much noise and draws enemies to your position. So it's interesting use of the gadgets in gameplay.

It's too bad that the cutscenes are way too long. Game says I've posted for 6 hours but 4 hours+ of those are cutscenes. Leading into act 3 has 4 long cutscenes back to back before you play.
You also have turret shooting sequences which aren't great but were popular back in the day.
Worst of all is the short gameplay sequence of escaping geckos that only lasts for 30 seconds to get into another cutscene.

I completed the game on the hardest difficulty years ago, with no alerts/no kill and yeah, to me MGSIV was the hardest to beat in total stealth. To get the Big Boss emblem you need to beat it within 5 hours or something like that, I can't remember. You can totally do that but you need to basically memorize the pattern and exploit the AI because it's way too smart in my opinion in this game.

Machocruz

Arcane

I completed the game on the hardest difficulty years ago, with no alerts/no kill and yeah, to me MGSIV was the hardest to beat in total stealth. To get the Big Boss emblem you need to beat it within 5 hours or something like that, I can't remember. You can totally do that but you need to basically memorize the pattern and exploit the AI because it's way too smart in my opinion in this game.

I find the first few zones pretty hard to nail down on Extreme mode with no kills or alerts and no tranq gun available. A lot of overlapping sight lines. Choked out or slammed guards don't stay down long. I've used some of the tactics I've seen on speedruns and WR runs and they are hit and miss, the AI doesn't react consistently. Could be because I still don't understand a lot of what I see in those videos, like regarding Gecko sight capabilities/range, exactly how guard AI reacts to stimuli; a lot of tactics are shooting at walls and running right next to guys to pass them. They make it look so easy, or that's what I thought until I got to see how much practice goes into speedruns in general.

Extreme is really the way to play. Normal actually weakens you for that experience. You can just buy more non--lethal rounds whenever you need them, you can take a lot of punishment, guard vision isn't that good, etc.

Ezekiel

Arcane

It had no responsibility to tie up all those "loose ends." The game would have benefited by leaving most of them open and then having more time to tell a cohesive story and maybe let the player play more. Most of them weren't even loose ends or plotholes or whatever. Like, I didn't need to know that nanomachines made Vamp a vampire.

Last edited:

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
The traditional stealth/action gameplay that is present was a drink of water in the desert at the time. If Kojima could have just controlled himself and played it straight with more actual gameplay instead of rail-shooter sequences and unbearably long socially awkward cutscenes, then it would have been a true classic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom