Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V coming to Steam

dunno lah

Arcane
Those 2-3 minute installs were for you to go and have a cig break too. :P

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
But that isn't an issue anymore with the latest patch...
Ok, and that helps someone who played the game in 2008 how?
Well...I was replying to the "hard limit" statement. How does it work?
Well maybe they deleted that hard limit, because at the time of MGS4, there ware only 60/80 GB PS4-s, so an install limit was acceptable. But after the introduction of the 250 GB HDD, maybe they disabled the limit.

Trotsky

Arcane
The added disc space provided by the blue-ray format largely contributed to the endless cut scenes in MGS4. Just another example of technology being a liability rather than an asset.

On DVD they couldn't waste space with boring and drawn out filler content. Circumstances forced them to compress file sizes and otherwise discipline themselves from going overboard.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The added disc space provided by the blue-ray format largely contributed to the endless cut scenes in MGS4. Just another example of technology being a liability rather than an asset.

On DVD they couldn't waste space with boring and drawn out filler content. Circumstances forced them to compress file sizes and otherwise discipline themselves from going overboard.

Laughing so hard at this. All the MGS games are filled to the fucking brim with endless cutscenes, filler content and boring drawn-out bullshit. The first game was on CD and it was drowning in that bullshit. Blu ray had nothing to do with it.

Trotsky

Arcane
MGS4 was awful even by Metal Gear standards not sure what's so hard to comprehend in that.

The first and third games were also very well balanced in all categories so I don't agree with you.

Last edited:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
MGS4 definitely had more cutscenes than the previous games, which was primarily due to the increased storage space. This isn't saying the earlier games (MGS2 in particular) don't have alot of cutscenes, it's just that they'd regulate all of the longer conversations to codec calls so that they could save space and avoid having to design and choreograph extremely long cutscenes made up solely of two people just talking about stuff, which MGS4 had plenty of (i.e. every single goddamn scene on the Nomad).

TedNugent

Arcane
The end of MGS4 had a cutscene that was around an hour and a half long, completely unbroken by any gameplay segment.

It included an entire wedding, two kids falling in love, Raiden reuniting with his son, Snake committing suicide, an old man getting gassed, and some other pointless shit no one cares about.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
MGS4 was awful even by Metal Gear standards not sure what's so hard to comprehend in that.

The first and third games were also very well balanced in all categories so I don't agree with you.

Fair enough, I don't know how much worse MGS4 was because I didn't play it. All I am saying is the first two games were filled to the brim with endless cutscenes and drawn-out bullshit, so storage medium or not that is what that series is about. If the fourth game is even worse then... just wow.

dunno lah

Arcane
The only cutscenes that I felt were drawn out in MGS1 are the Meryl scenes and maybe the Ninja's death scene. MGS1 still has the best cutscenes in the series, but perhaps MGS5's new "one take" cutscenes can reach the former's level.

Does Snake/Boss/whoever still spit the last couple words someone says to him back out as a question? Sometimes followed by a considering grunt? If so, I'm on board.

There were always a ton of cutscenes, yes (MGS1 comes in two CDs, probably because of that - it certainly isn't because of vast amounts of content). They're getting gradually longer because the "lore" expands with time. There are so many characters and conspiracies that they can comfortably write hour-long movies about them.

Trotsky

Arcane
MGS4 provided answers to questions nobody asked and included characters nobody wanted to see again.

It seems like the whole game was made for dorks on forums who can't accept that sometimes less is more.

Often questions are better than the answers and MGS4 proved that. Nanomachines ruined the entire game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
MGS4 provided answers to questions nobody asked and included characters nobody wanted to see again.

It seems like the whole game was made for dorks on forums who can't accept that sometimes less is more.

Often questions are better than the answers and MGS4 proved that. Nanomachines ruined the entire game.

I love MGS to death, and even like MGS4, but even to me it seems that MGS4 is just pure fanservice. Raiden, Vamp, Naomi and the other characters all had their stories, and they were concluded, there was no need to bring them back. The only 2 characters which were important are Snake and Ocelot/Liquid, the story should have been written around them. There was no need to answer every question you could make up about MGS. You can make up questions to every game, film or book, but it doesn't mean that you have to make a sequel just to answer all of them.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
They actively ruined past characters as well: Them revealing that the goofy and eccentric but ultimately kind-hearted Paramedic would later become Dr. Clark, the same scientist who essentially tortured Frank Jaeger for years on end and turned him into a godless abomination really rubbed me the wrong way. Especially since they actually went out of their way to break pre-established canon (Dr. Clark was referred to as a man in MGS1) to make it happen.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
They actively ruined past characters as well: Them revealing that the goofy and eccentric but ultimately kind-hearted Paramedic would later become Dr. Clark, the same scientist who essentially tortured Frank Jaeger for years on end and turned him into a godless abomination really rubbed me the wrong way. Especially since they actually went out of their way to break pre-established canon (Dr. Clark was referred to as a man in MGS1) to make it happen.
Yes, one of the problem that they wanted to gather every (and I mean EVERY) character from MGS1-2-3, and make them connected somehow through the Patriots. Would it have been too hard tho just say that Paramedic went on to serve in the Air-force and she was retired after service? Or Raiden lived with Rose happily ever after, maybe running a Red Cross service or some shit? No, everybody should be in this worldwide conspiracy. I'm not saying that the MGS saga can't be a complete story, where these characters all existing in it, but Kojima should have planned this from the beginning, and making it up on the fly. I think MGS1-2-3 can be seen as seperate stories, which are barely connected to eachother. There are some characthers, some events which are referenced in several of them, but that's all. MGS4 could have been just that. A seperate story of Snake and Liquid.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom