Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

bert

Arcane

TedNugent

Arcane
So I just want to say because I played every game in the Metal Gear series to completion (I beat Metal Gear Solid 4 three times, Metal Gear Solid 3 twice, Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops twice, Peacewalker once, MGS2 twice, Metal Gear Solid once, and I even beat the MSX versions of Metal Gear 1 and 2), don't listen to these idiots (which includes Hideo Kojima) telling you to buy Peacewalker before you play The Phantom Pain.

The game's story is utterly incomprehensible, and worse, it's actually less significant to the plot than Portable Ops.

Whereas Peacewalker is about a minigame where you build a secret base and then something about Nicaragua, Portable Ops told you about Big Boss's defection, Ocelot's motives, the betrayal of Fox against the US gov't and Big Boss, the origins of the Grey Fox of MGS1-2 fame (also big in Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake), and the practical origins of what became Militaire sans Frontieres in Peacewalker.

They try and trick you at the start of Peacewalker into thinking that anything contained within is actually relevant to the plot by giving you a voice recording of The Boss. This is a trap. Do not believe them. Do not play this fucking game.

You will end up spending literally hours shooting Metal Gears and attaching Fulton recovery balloons to random guards to make your research progress move faster, but it is utterly without merit. The briefing tapes are utterly useless.

Even though this is ultimately superior in terms of gameplay to Portable Ops, it offers nothing in terms of backstory that you can't already glean from the rest of the series or infer within 5 minutes of listening to the briefing tapes in Ground Zeroes. What's even more, you won't discover the plot of Ground Zeroes unless you complete the secret ending mission in Peacewalker, so Ground Zeroes will probably end up spoiling it anyway (it did for me).

If you're looking for the best gameplay experience in the series, without a doubt Metal Gear Solid 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, and Ground Zeroes are the best in the series thus far. I would recommend that you skip the cutscenes in MGS4 and you should be gold.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So I just want to say because I played every game in the Metal Gear series to completion (I beat Metal Gear Solid 4 three times, Metal Gear Solid 3 twice, Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops twice, Peacewalker once, MGS2 twice, Metal Gear Solid once, and I even beat the MSX versions of Metal Gear 1 and 2), don't listen to these idiots (which includes Hideo Kojima) telling you to buy Peacewalker before you play The Phantom Pain.

The game's story is utterly incomprehensible, and worse, it's actually less significant to the plot than Portable Ops.

Whereas Peacewalker is about a minigame where you build a secret base and then something about Nicaragua, Portable Ops told you about Big Boss's defection, Ocelot's motives, the betrayal of Fox against the US gov't and Big Boss, the origins of the Grey Fox of MGS1-2 fame (also big in Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake), and the practical origins of what became Militaire sans Frontieres in Peacewalker.

They try and trick you at the start of Peacewalker into thinking that anything contained within is actually relevant to the plot by giving you a voice recording of The Boss. This is a trap. Do not believe them. Do not play this fucking game.

You will end up spending literally hours shooting Metal Gears and attaching Fulton recovery balloons to random guards to make your research progress move faster, but it is utterly without merit. The briefing tapes are utterly useless.

Even though this is ultimately superior in terms of gameplay to Portable Ops, it offers nothing in terms of backstory that you can't already glean from the rest of the series or infer within 5 minutes of listening to the briefing tapes in Ground Zeroes. What's even more, you won't discover the plot of Ground Zeroes unless you complete the secret ending mission in Peacewalker, so Ground Zeroes will probably end up spoiling it anyway (it did for me).

If you're looking for the best gameplay experience in the series, without a doubt Metal Gear Solid 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, and Ground Zeroes are the best in the series thus far. I would recommend that you skip the cutscenes in MGS4 and you should be gold.
While I think you are a bit too harsh in PW's story (it was interesting IMO), I agree that Portable Ops had a nice and more interesting story and it is too underapriciated.

dunno lah

Arcane

Comments are the highlights.

Edit: My lifelessness ability also shows that Grunker liked this video.

Last edited:

dunno lah

Arcane
:lol: They even got confetti...It's a good thing KojiPro decided to put a limited suppressor on the tranq gun though.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
. Thankfully it's not open world because that would mean boring content. The levels are just pretty big.
Really? Because previously I heared that it is open world. Which was a bummer in my book. But if it is not, than I'm happy J_C.

dunno lah

Arcane
Mediocre only in enemy AI. But perhaps that is all that's required for a "stealth" game to be considered generally mediocre...

Martius

Liturgist
Am I seeing this right? He attached baloons to the disarmed soldiers and... launched them into space?

:d1p:

Well, thats a feature from Peacewalker. Boss have to get new recruits somehow, at least he dont have to pick them one by one like in Portable Ops.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Am I seeing this right? He attached baloons to the disarmed soldiers and... launched them into space?

:d1p:
No, the ballons are not launched into space, they are gathered in the atmosphere by a plane. Just like in real life.

The funny part is when you launch them indoors. Probably through solid concrete. :D

dunno lah

Arcane
All they have to do is make enemies not stupid and I'll get a PS4 for this. Also, they said the game uses a realistic day/night cycle but why the fuck does time pass a-la GTA and AC? Damn liars.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah, Kojima's always been a die-hard military Otaku who always tries his hardest to incorporate even the most obscure military trivia into his games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom