Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Shame on him. :)

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Stefanie Joosten - Ik wil mijn sperma spuiten in je baarmoeder en zuigen de kleur uit je tepels.

Machocruz

Arcane
Metal Gear has always been an action game to me. Stealth was just an option, like Dishonored, or any other game that passes for the genre these days. In a "true" stealth game, stealth and evasion are almost necessary at all times. You can become good with the sword in Thief, but combat is still a bit 'off.'

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Metal Gear has always been an action game to me. Stealth was just an option, like Dishonored, or any other game that passes for the genre these days. In a "true" stealth game, stealth and evasion are almost necessary at all times. You can become good with the sword in Thief, but combat is still a bit 'off.'
Kojima said he puts combat in so if you mess up stealth you can still proceed.

So if you're using combat to advance you're playing easy mode.

Also, I think on the hardest difficulties you get gameovers for alerts and even killing people.

Machocruz

Arcane
I'm going to use whatever tools the designer's give me. If they want me to play a stealth game, make my survival or mission success dependent on it. When I think "stealth" or "sneaking" I'm also thinking "because too outmatched for direct confrontation." And yes, Extreme mode in MG does this. And it's pretty hard.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Combat is a tool that's there when you fail. It's a soft failstate. Which is a good thing in a game. Just like Fallout for a large portion of the game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What the fuck is up with this looking through wall trend in stealth games. MGS5 has it, Thiaf has it, Hitman has it, Dishonored has (?) it. It would make sense in MGS4, because it is futuristic tech and shit, but I don't like it here. And that slow mo shit if you get caught, just like in Thiaf. And all those UI tool tips. Hey retard, you are at the edge of a cliff, you might...you know....jump off.

I love MGS to the death, and graphically it is impressive. And even gameplay wise it looks promising, except the things I mentioned. Kojima, you are tainted by the western dumbfuck devs.

Caim

Arcane
What the fuck is up with this looking through wall trend in stealth games. MGS5 has it, Thiaf has it, Hitman has it, Dishonored has (?) it. It would make sense in MGS4, because it is futuristic tech and shit, but I don't like it here.
Except that you can look either around or through walls in every MGS game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
What the fuck is up with this looking through wall trend in stealth games. MGS5 has it, Thiaf has it, Hitman has it, Dishonored has (?) it. It would make sense in MGS4, because it is futuristic tech and shit, but I don't like it here.
Except that you can look either around or through walls in every MGS game.
No you couldn't. You had heart beat or sound/movement detectors.

Drakron

Arcane
Saying Metal Gear Solid wasnt a stealth game is pants on retarded, not only some sections are DONT FUCKING RAISE THE ALARM (MGS2 tanker hold) but even some bosses are stealthish (The End that was a sniper battle).

Sure you can RAMBO to some degree but the game was design with stealth in mind.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I am still waiting for the Industry to provide evidence that these kind of features are what make a difference. I think they are making a false correlation.

Yeah. I think letting you go all action guy when caught makes sense as a method to attract people who don't like hitting F9 every time they get caught. Almost every other dumb addition made to the genre recently isn't really selling anyone though, I bet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom