Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
See through walls + rasberry jam on screen = 5 more million copies sold, amirite?

The larger the budget, the greater the dumb down has to be!

But then again, Kojima never gave a shit about gameplay much anyway. He's through and through a movie whore.
Fuck you, there were lots of cutscenes in MGS games, but the gameplay was always good.

50 gb of cutscenes lol. Trololol, I'm trying to be so edgy by saying MGS is all cutscenes. Because nobody did that before, amirite?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Fuck you, there were lots of cutscenes in MGS games, but the gameplay was always good.

Emphasize on was. This demo looked like a complete uninspired rip-off of any popamole cover shooter with zero charm and no Japanese quirk in it. Open world Splinter Cell where you can see enemies through walls. What the fuck did Kojima do the last 5 years?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Emphasize on was. This demo looked like a complete uninspired rip-off of any popamole cover shooter with zero charm and no Japanese quirk in it. Open world Splinter Cell where you can see enemies through walls. What the fuck did Kojima do the last 5 years?
I...He....umm...fuck...I don't know, but I want to believe!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
The quality of the gameplay was acceptable.

The quantity, on the other hand....
Eh, it was enough. Even MGS 4, with its 10 hours CG movies had 8-10 hours gameplay, if you didn't play it in Rambo mode. And the previous games had even more.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
MGS1 and 3 were pretty fun and I liked their settings despite the retarded ass dialogue the plots were honestly kinda neat if you trimmed the fat on your own. Mostly because they're just full of awesome 80s action movie tropes.

Tier 1 special forces group stages a coup during a nuclear exercise on a remote Alaskan base, make some nutty demands and they SUPER SECRETLY HAVE THE ULTIMATE WEAPON... the government responds by sending in grizzled veteran commando to neutralize the chance of a nuclear weapons launch and then... NOTHING ELSE BECAUSE SOME OF THAT SHIT WOULD BE MAD RETARDED.

During the height of the cold war a leading soviet scientist wants to defect, so the protege of America's greatest soldier is sent in to help him escape and secure all the intel he has... but GASP, his mentor is a defector and betrays him and her country (or DOES SHE). Now he's going back in for REVENGE and ANSWERS.

Ignoring romance on battlefields, my japanese animes, kuwabara, guys shooting bees out of their hands, etc (which is a ton to ignore) it's just a bizarre Japanese love poem written about Hollywood's greatest movies.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The gameplay in Solid and Solid 2 was decent, but the story was too abundant and annoying for me to really enjoy playing the games. I wouldn't call the story bad or stupid, just not at all to my tastes, and it completely takes over the fucking gameplay. It's the opposite of what I want in games, honestly... tremendous amounts of non-interactive story.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
The gameplay in Solid and Solid 2 was decent, but the story was too abundant and annoying for me to really enjoy playing the games. I wouldn't call the story bad or stupid, just not at all to my tastes, and it completely takes over the fucking gameplay. It's the opposite of what I want in games, honestly... tremendous amounts of non-interactive story.

I think the story to gameplay ratio in MGS1 was balanced. MGS2 is when it started to get out of hand. Nothing after MGS3 is worth playing, most likely including this upcoming decline.

The sequels to MGS1 also suffer from translation problems that make the story even harder to digest. MGS1's translator was fired by Kojima's ego because he made certain approximations in the dialogue. It was better off that way, IMO. The dialogue felt far less engrish in MGS1 than it did in the sequels.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
After MGS1 Kojima went bonkers with story and cutscenes.
MGS2 has an unbelievable cluserfuck of a story, repetitive gameplay, and some annoying characters including the protagonist and his moronic girlfriend/handler.
MGS3 was much better, almost as good as MGS1. It had some neat gameplay ideas, it was challenging at times and the story was enjoyable since it didn't have to take account of the crap that was MGS2.
MGS4 was even more of a clusterfuck in the story department than MGS2, because it tried to revive, merge and conclude all storylines, but instead it made even a bigger mess of them. It went overboard in the cutscene department. Some of them were so long and inane, I wanted to smash the TV. Gameplay wise it had some interesting ideas, but it never used them enough for them to matter, nor did it expand on them. Irony: I borrowed my friend's PS3 to play MGS4 and actually Uncharted: The popamole king was a better game. Now I'll have to borrow it again to play Demon Souls.

My verdict MGS1 and 3 are good, the rest is pathetic, convoluted shit.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Kojima made a mess of MSG4 on purpose. He didn't want to make the game at all, but received a death threat, so he made it but passive aggressively made it retarded.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
After MGS1 Kojima went bonkers with story and cutscenes.
MGS2 has an unbelievable cluserfuck of a story, repetitive gameplay, and some annoying characters including the protagonist and his moronic girlfriend/handler.
MGS3 was much better, almost as good as MGS1. It had some neat gameplay ideas, it was challenging at times and the story was enjoyable since it didn't have to take account of the crap that was MGS2.
MGS4 was even more of a clusterfuck in the story department than MGS2, because it tried to revive, merge and conclude all storylines, but instead it made even a bigger mess of them. It went overboard in the cutscene department. Some of them were so long and inane, I wanted to smash the TV. Gameplay wise it had some interesting ideas, but it never used them enough for them to matter, nor did it expand on them. Irony: I borrowed my friend's PS3 to play MGS4 and actually Uncharted: The popamole king was a better game. Now I'll have to borrow it again to play Demon Souls.

My verdict MGS1 and 3 are good, the rest is pathetic, convoluted shit.

I agree for the most part. Although, I feel like in retrospect MGS2 is a more enjoyable experience than it was when I first played it. Raiden sucks but the gameplay is great and much more "classic" so to speak than the newer installments. The tanker part especially is great.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

I think the story to gameplay ratio in MGS1 was balanced. MGS2 is when it started to get out of hand. Nothing after MGS3 is worth playing, most likely including this upcoming decline.

The sequels to MGS1 also suffer from translation problems that make the story even harder to digest. MGS1's translator was fired by Kojima's ego because he made certain approximations in the dialogue. It was better off that way, IMO. The dialogue felt far less engrish in MGS1 than it did in the sequels.
MGS3 is the peak of the series and saved it from the utter shitstain that was 2.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

Big Boss' new voice, to my ears sound extremely.....awkward. It doesnt feel right.

Hayters gonna hate. :troll:
But yeah, it is awkward. It somewhat brakes the feel of the game. But I think Kojima is still trolling us and will give some role to Hayter in this game.

dunno lah

Arcane
Playing through Ground Zeroes on PS3. Not really sure how to evaluate this game as I haven't gone through all the missions yet, but generally, this game is like Peace Walker with a sandbox level instead of having zones.

The biggest change in the gameplay comes from the new iDroid gadget which uses the marking-via-binos system. It's kinda annoying at first to use while trying to get used to not having the radar/sound detector, but with the sandbox level design and improved vision from the enemy (Hard mode enemies have almost realistic visual detection, being able to see from across the half the map if you're standing or crouching) it's probably the right thing to do with the new iDroid system.

From the two missions I've played so far which was the main op and a side op, I feel like the core gameplay is probably the best so far in the MG series. Kojima Productions have also made improvements to the gun combat(It's almost as fun to kill stuff as it is to sneak around) but personally, I think I'm gonna have way more fun wasting time trying to memorize enemy patterns and try to get the mission done without using any weapons including OP tranq. guns.

Oh yeah, one of the problems I have with this game is the bloody reflex(slo mo) mode before an enemy alerts the base. Since this game uses a score-based system which determines rank at the end of the mission, disabling it automatically gives you 7500 points(a lot) which makes me feel cheap for doing it when it's not supposed to.

And another thing is the checkpoint system, which absolutely fucks up the tranquilized enemies on Hard mode. For example, I got an alert far into the mission so I decided to restart from checkpoint. After restarting, all the enemies I had tranquilized earlier and had woken up had gone back to sleep again, with their sleep time probably at reset again. So you can see why I said I would enjoy this game at its most when playing without restarts and without weapons, hard as it may be...

Edit: Another one: Sound. When you're moving around, you make a shitton of sound even when moving slowly. If I remember correctly, previous games would have you make no sound when sneaking. That at least helped with immersion, but in this game, when crawling(the most silent gameplay-wise), there'll be all sorts of sound and the enemy casually strolling in front of you won't hear a damn thing. In fact, I must say this could be the most irritating thing about this game. They ought to tweak the volume for moving around.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Edit: Another one: Sound. When you're moving around, you make a shitton of sound even when moving slowly. If I remember correctly, previous games would have you make no sound when sneaking. That at least helped with immersion, but in this game, when crawling(the most silent gameplay-wise), there'll be all sorts of sound and the enemy casually strolling in front of you won't hear a damn thing. In fact, I must say this could be the most irritating thing about this game. They ought to tweak the volume for moving around.
In MGS3 you had to use the D-Pad to walk silently.

dunno lah

Arcane

MGS3 is the only one I haven't played yet(FUUUU-) but what I'm saying is that no matter how slow you move in GZ, you'll still make clearly audible sound which would absolutely not go unnoticed by others in real life. In Peace Walker, wearing the sneaking suit would make you absolutely silent. I don't see why they couldn't have done the same thing for this game.

Caim

Arcane
MGS3 is the only one I haven't played yet(FUUUU-) but what I'm saying is that no matter how slow you move in GZ, you'll still make clearly audible sound which would absolutely not go unnoticed by others in real life. In Peace Walker, wearing the sneaking suit would make you absolutely silent. I don't see why they couldn't have done the same thing for this game.
I agree with the loudness thing. Snake always makes sound while he's moving, and when he runs he's even noisier than a Dark Souls character running around in full chainmail (which has more jingle to them like Christmas).

And what's with this adding of a point system to the game? Does it really add anything, aside from that you need to speedrun every single section to get the S rank and the rewards associated with it?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Playing through Ground Zeroes on PS3. Not really sure how to evaluate this game as I haven't gone through all the missions yet, but generally, this game is like Peace Walker with a sandbox level instead of having zones.

The biggest change in the gameplay comes from the new iDroid gadget which uses the marking-via-binos system. It's kinda annoying at first to use while trying to get used to not having the radar/sound detector, but with the sandbox level design and improved vision from the enemy (Hard mode enemies have almost realistic visual detection, being able to see from across the half the map if you're standing or crouching) it's probably the right thing to do with the new iDroid system.

From the two missions I've played so far which was the main op and a side op, I feel like the core gameplay is probably the best so far in the MG series. Kojima Productions have also made improvements to the gun combat(It's almost as fun to kill stuff as it is to sneak around) but personally, I think I'm gonna have way more fun wasting time trying to memorize enemy patterns and try to get the mission done without using any weapons including OP tranq. guns.

Oh yeah, one of the problems I have with this game is the bloody reflex(slo mo) mode before an enemy alerts the base. Since this game uses a score-based system which determines rank at the end of the mission, disabling it automatically gives you 7500 points(a lot) which makes me feel cheap for doing it when it's not supposed to.

And another thing is the checkpoint system, which absolutely fucks up the tranquilized enemies on Hard mode. For example, I got an alert far into the mission so I decided to restart from checkpoint. After restarting, all the enemies I had tranquilized earlier and had woken up had gone back to sleep again, with their sleep time probably at reset again. So you can see why I said I would enjoy this game at its most when playing without restarts and without weapons, hard as it may be...

Do yourself a favour and switch off Reflex mode, tagging mode, hit and detection indicators in the options menu. Those are basicly cheats in my book, and make the game less enjoyable IMO.

I agree with the loudness thing. Snake always makes sound while he's moving, and when he runs he's even noisier than a Dark Souls character running around in full chainmail (which has more jingle to them like Christmas).

And what's with this adding of a point system to the game? Does it really add anything, aside from that you need to speedrun every single section to get the S rank and the rewards associated with it?
I assume you can unlock costumes with them, and you can compare it with other players, because the game uploads your points and scores to a server. Apart from that, they don't add anything substantial to the game.

dunno lah

Arcane
The game is designed around some of those mechanics. If you disable the detection indicator, it'll be like disabling the "!" and the noise it makes. From far distances on Hard mode, if you get detected, the enemy immediately says "Contact!" and Alert mode starts. If you disable Reflex Mode, you get a free 5250 points to your score.

I must admit though that the score and rank system in this game is bullshit and don't really care much for it. Not to mention that S-rank doesn't mean much in this game, since your rank is determined by points. That means you can get detected, kill and retry and still get S-rank.

There are however "Trials" for the missions too and I'm struggling to complete the Hitman-like side op without using weapons on Hard mode.

The "Jamais Vu" mission on XBone looks awesome as hell. Way better than the PS bonus mission where they don't even use Hayter's voice for MGS1 Snake...

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
The game is designed around some of those mechanics. If you disable the detection indicator, it'll be like disabling the "!" and the noise it makes. From far distances on Hard mode, if you get detected, the enemy immediately says "Contact!" and Alert mode starts. If you disable Reflex Mode, you get a free 5250 points to your score.

I must admit though that the score and rank system in this game is bullshit and don't really care much for it. Not to mention that S-rank doesn't mean much in this game, since your rank is determined by points. That means you can get detected, kill and retry and still get S-rank.

There are however "Trials" for the missions too and I'm struggling to complete the Hitman-like side op without using weapons on Hard mode.

The "Jamais Vu" mission on XBone looks awesome as hell. Way better than the PS bonus mission where they don't even use Hayter's voice for MGS1 Snake...
I don't really agree that the game is designed around those mechanics, it is not like Thief or Hitman Absolution. But Ok, leave the detection indicator on for Hard mode (on normal, even that is not needed), but I advise to switch off everything else. This way the game will be similar to the older MGS titles in terms of gameplay, without allt his nexgen bullshit feature.

tuluse

Arcane

I was suggesting there might be some semi-hidden control for walking without making sound. It's a common experience in MGS3 that people forget about the D-Pad and wonder why the slowest movement with the thumb stick guards can still hear them.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

I was suggesting there might be some semi-hidden control for walking without making sound. It's a common experience in MGS3 that people forget about the D-Pad and wonder why the slowest movement with the thumb stick guards can still hear them.
I afraid there is no such thing here. The D pad controls the inventory and the weapons used. But truth is, although we players hear the movement sound of Snake, ingame the guards don't IF you are creeping slowly. At least I didn't notice it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom