Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Metal Gear Survive - a co-op survival game to be left for dead

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
How about the most refunded list?
thinking.png

Bocian

Arcane
Also 82% positive reviews on Steam despite all that initial butthurt because zombies and no Kojima.
thinking.png

Ash

Arcane
Surprised it isn't Battle Royale with Zombies.

...oh god I am giving the indusry sellouts and talentless hacks ideas.

I guess this game was conceived of just a couple months before the PUBG outbreak, so Konami just missed the boat.

Ocelot

Learned
Looks like the child of MGS5 and Konami's Pachinco game. I wasted my life away to do a 100% achievement completion on Phantom pain, putting 100+ hours and still wanted more at the end of it and I'm still not going to touch Survive even though it's gameplay is heavily based on Phantom Pain.

Konami could continue Phantom pain's incomplete story and even make another overpriced DLC like Ground Zeroes to bring the highly demanded "Part 3". They would still make great sales and people would worship them for completing the story. But no, they had to go all in and create a generic zombie game with so many microtransactions and so much asset re-usage that it could have been a Phantom pain mod.

I really don't get it.

Mojobeard

Augur
Don't really get the extreme hate or love for it, is this another one of those fanboy vs contrarian fights?
And that "don't fall for it, it's p2w microtransaction" shit. There's no pushing you to buy anything anywhere, wouldn't even know about it without the internet butthurt. And MGSV had one fucking save, I'm amazed there even is the option for another (which btw can be opened through co-op anyway).

It feels like a solid 7/10, it's fucking clunky as hell, but somehow it's still decently fun, especially the co-op. And it feels different, though no breath of fresh air by any means. And it's also a game you somehow stick with, though nothing in it really resonates.
You eat a bag of gerbils, drink purified water and poke dudes with the spear. If it's under 5 dudes, you dodge around, if over, you build a fence and poke them through it.
90% of the time you very hurriedly do missions; the food, drink and air meters are very punishing. The sense of urgency is greater than on any survival game I've played.
Then you warp back home, build your base, upgrade and build new weapons. Rinse and repeat. Unless, spoilers, some LOS GOBLINOS OSCUROS... LA ATROCIDAD... appear.

If that doesn't sound like your thing, can't blame you. It's about as exciting as it sounds. But it is definitely not as big of a piece of shit people have made it out to be.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
nodhuwzt9di01.jpg

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...f-left-a-secret-message-in-metal-gear-survive

It looks like Konami staff left a secret message in Metal Gear Survive

From deep within the bowels of Konami, there comes a howl. It looks like developers of Metal Gear Survive, the first in the long-running series to come out from post-Kojima Konami, have left a message at the front of the game marking a moment of respect for those that went before.

Upon creating your character in-game, you're shown a glimpse of a clipboard that features yourself and your fellow soldiers - and keen-eyed Redditors have spotted that the first letters of the initials of a succession of them spells out 'KJP forever', an apparent reference to Kojima Productions, Hideo Kojima's outfit that was once an integral part of the Konami development team. The references don't end there - the last two names on the list, both marked as 'AWOL', are 'Bastard Yota' and 'Cunning Yuji', perhaps referencing Metal Gear Survive's director Yota Tsutsumizaki and producer Yuji Korekado.

Kojima left Konami at the tail-end of 2015 as development on Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain was wrapping up in seemingly strained circumstances - the director's name was earlier removed from marketing material for The Phantom Pain, and Konami initially denied that Kojima had left. Since then Kojima has taken some of his team over to an all-new Kojima Productions, currently working with Sony on Death Stranding.

Metal Gear Survive came out on Friday in the UK to a fairly muted response. It's quite far from the series' highs, though it's maybe not quite as bad as you might have feared.

Don't really get the extreme hate or love for it, is this another one of those fanboy vs contrarian fights?
And that "don't fall for it, it's p2w microtransaction" shit. There's no pushing you to buy anything anywhere, wouldn't even know about it without the internet butthurt. And MGSV had one fucking save, I'm amazed there even is the option for another (which btw can be opened through co-op anyway).

It feels like a solid 7/10, it's fucking clunky as hell, but somehow it's still decently fun, especially the co-op. And it feels different, though no breath of fresh air by any means. And it's also a game you somehow stick with, though nothing in it really resonates.
You eat a bag of gerbils, drink purified water and poke dudes with the spear. If it's under 5 dudes, you dodge around, if over, you build a fence and poke them through it.
90% of the time you very hurriedly do missions; the food, drink and air meters are very punishing. The sense of urgency is greater than on any survival game I've played.
Then you warp back home, build your base, upgrade and build new weapons. Rinse and repeat. Unless, spoilers, some LOS GOBLINOS OSCUROS... LA ATROCIDAD... appear.

If that doesn't sound like your thing, can't blame you. It's about as exciting as it sounds. But it is definitely not as big of a piece of shit people have made it out to be.

It seems like a fanboy thing. I mean you've got some of them like YongYea, who's a massive fanboy, saying the MGSV mechanics aren't good for the more action oriented direction of the game...which is a crazy fucking opinion to have. MGSV felt pretty fucking great to play as an action game, better than most all third person shooters that are meant to nothing but action; it also had a pretty fucking great multiplayer.

Then again I only played the beta, but what I did play of it made the reaction to this on a gameplay level seem pretty weird.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
nodhuwzt9di01.jpg

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...f-left-a-secret-message-in-metal-gear-survive

It looks like Konami staff left a secret message in Metal Gear Survive

From deep within the bowels of Konami, there comes a howl. It looks like developers of Metal Gear Survive, the first in the long-running series to come out from post-Kojima Konami, have left a message at the front of the game marking a moment of respect for those that went before.

Upon creating your character in-game, you're shown a glimpse of a clipboard that features yourself and your fellow soldiers - and keen-eyed Redditors have spotted that the first letters of the initials of a succession of them spells out 'KJP forever', an apparent reference to Kojima Productions, Hideo Kojima's outfit that was once an integral part of the Konami development team. The references don't end there - the last two names on the list, both marked as 'AWOL', are 'Bastard Yota' and 'Cunning Yuji', perhaps referencing Metal Gear Survive's director Yota Tsutsumizaki and producer Yuji Korekado.

Kojima left Konami at the tail-end of 2015 as development on Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain was wrapping up in seemingly strained circumstances - the director's name was earlier removed from marketing material for The Phantom Pain, and Konami initially denied that Kojima had left. Since then Kojima has taken some of his team over to an all-new Kojima Productions, currently working with Sony on Death Stranding.

Metal Gear Survive came out on Friday in the UK to a fairly muted response. It's quite far from the series' highs, though it's maybe not quite as bad as you might have feared.
Guess we know they won't be making the sequel.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Looks like a better game than the shitshow that was MGS5 but held back by retarded microtransactions.

Oh well.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Pay for an extra save slot in a non-f2p game :lol: The actual game looks like lowest common denominator trash too.

1479642166-risitasdiable.gif

Mojobeard

Augur
I finished the campaign ~23 hours, some general thoughts:

The fighting system is unpolished and unbalanced. If you try to go full melee, you'll get knocked down or grabbed, and hit full of status ailments. And you need 2-5 hits to kill a dude with most weapons. If you just spam your bow, enemies die mostly in one hit, and you get your arrows back. Guess which one people pick.
There's a ton of enemy types that only open up only in co-op or post-game. And they're all pretty interesting. For the main game you're stuck with fewer than needed, especially during the opening hours in Afghanistan.
Sub classes should open up way earlier, they actually make the game interesting to play. To open them, you need to beat the game, and do post-game missions, which is mind boggling. The strongest ones, and seemingly played by 90% of the players are Jaeger (ranged) and Scout (building bonuses and stealth). The other two, Assault (melee/tank) and Medic (what it says) are pretty much trash.
Before you get these, the game forces you to find something reproducible; bow spam, hitting with a spear through fences, plunging attacks with heavy weapons. It's mostly pretty damn boring.
There's some really intense and hard missions, and there should be more of them. The last mission especially is defending against maybe a thousand enemies, including specials, by yourself. Mortaring and machine gunning tens and tens of enemies in seconds feels incredible.
Co-op is intense and fun. Just wish there were more types of it.
And again, there's no need for microtransactions, nor do they pressure you. You almost need to look for it (it's in one list menu). There is a leveling boost, but the game doesn't get easier from it, since it's so gear dependent. If you really want it though, you get Mickey Mouse money as a daily login bonus, and the bonus can also give you 1-day boosts. Much of ado about nothing.

tl;dr: it gets better, and actually pretty good, but should do so much faster.

Pay for an extra save slot in a non-f2p game :lol:
I won't defend the game too much, it's 7/10, but won't listen to falsehoods either. It's an extra character slot, not a save slot. And you can open one through gameplay. This is what happens when you listen to rumors and clickbait and don't actually try the game. And again, MGSV had only one.

JBro

Arbiter
I beat the main story but lost interest. Is there any reason to keep going other than gear grinding and fighting a couple of new bosses? Is there any more story?

Mojobeard

Augur
I'm not that far yet. I might say further impressions 50 hours from now. And the post-game bosses require a decent amount of grinding from the looks of it.

It basically boils down to do you enjoy playing the co-op or not? Though with 5000 owners on steam, you better have friends to play with.

Sentinel

Arcane
How important/frequent are the territory defense missions? I'm not too excited about that but the prospect of an open world survival game with mgs5's gameplay sounds good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom