Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro: Last Light, Metro 2033, choice and consequence

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
I didn't talk about the world building. It's great. However, the writing and narrative are absolute garbage in ways that aren't likely due to translation problems.

Like I said, the writing cannot be objectively judged by you or me since neither of us speak Russian. And I know for a fact that some translation is pretty fucked up in Metro Last Light (in one of DLCs' horde mode, "extra wave of enemies" is translated into "huge zone").

And some of the characters (e.g. Khan and Pavel) are actually quite interesting and act in believable ways, which is more than I can say of most other games.

As for the narrative, I fail to see how it's more garbage compared to the plot of any other vidya games, for example, Fallout 1. In fact, Metro's plot shares uncanny resemblance to Fallout 1.

--You start in an isolated vault/subway station. Your station faces a horrible threat of water shortage/Dark One attack. You the noob journey out to find the Geck/to inform another station. Along the way you learn of the Master's homebase/D6 prewar missile base. You join force with Brotherhood of Steel/the Rangers. After you confront the Master/reach D6, you gain new perspective of the Master's plan/the Dark One's true nature.

--And in the sequel, the evil Enclave/Commies are trying to use pre-war tech to "purify" the Wasteland/metro.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
And some of the characters (e.g. Khan and Pavel) are actually quite interesting and act in believable ways, which is more than I can say of most other games.
Khan is a big hippie and Pavel is a stereotypical villain. Khan actually leads you to a magic sewer that takes you straight to the macguffin. If that isn't good writing, I don't know what is.

Let's not forget about that lady who calls you "rabbit" even though you're significantly more accomplished than her (having presumably saved the world and all), disappears for a few levels, and then reappears and lets you grab her tits and imply sex.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Khan is a big hippie and Pavel is a stereotypical villain. Khan actually leads you to a magic sewer that takes you straight to the macguffin. If that isn't good writing, I don't know what is.

Let's not forget about that lady who calls you "rabbit" even though you're significantly more accomplished than her (having presumably saved the world and all), disappears for a few levels, and then reappears and lets you grab her tits and imply sex.

Khan IS a hippie but for good reason. Did you play the Chronicles DLC?
Khan became a hippie after he had to leave his buddies to die in order to save his own skin when he was young.
The magic tunnel and the ghosts are a little bit weird I admit. But as far as I understand, the Russians are generally quite superstitious so I'm OK with that sentimentality. --Or maybe the protagonist and Khan were high after eating too much mushroom.

Pavel is much more than a stereotypically simple villain. He had a genuine friendship with Atyom and only did what he did because he had a different ideology and were following orders. The game's only "stereotypical" villain is the one-eyed Commie dude (forgot his name).

The sex scene is a bit gratuitous indeed but considering that the chick was infected and thought she was gonna die, maybe she didn't want to die a virgin? Also the tessellated tits are perfectly rendered and the animation felt natural like real life sex (unlike Bioware shit) so I'm not complaining much.

Again I'm not saying Metro has the best writing but it's certainly passable. Probably better than many other AAA games hailed for their writing (DE: Human Revolution, Last of Us, Dishonored, etc.).

hiver

First game was a semi interesting FPS. The other game is just a carbon copy of the first game, nothing else. Except a few interesting parts from the first one were cut out. Namely the Library level, its specific monsters and specific gameplay mechanics.

The story is simplified stupidity and ego pandering of the lowest common denominators.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Think they might have overdone the "improvements" for next-gen version a tad...

jpg

jpg

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...shinier-with-far-fewer-compromises-on-console

Wasteland 2
BFG edition all over again, they've ruined Doom 3 atmosphere the same way, gotta love the "living room entertainment experience" standards.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I thought the 'morality' (or whatever you want to call it) system in Metro was an interesting concept executed somewhat poorly. On paper it links back to a narrative theme in both games, but in execution the point requirement to get the 'good' ending is so high and most of the activities you have to do in order to get these points so mundane, obscure, and/or counter-intuitive that it just feels as though the game is punishing you for not playing the entire game glued to a strategy guide and checking each and every part where you can get a point.

Lemming42

Arcane
I'm replaying Metro 2033 right now, and my brain melded 2033 and Last Light together, so I keep seeing parts I was sure were in Last Light and being disappointed when cool areas from Last Light don't show up in 2033.

Either way I have to compliment the game on the stealth options it offers, even if the stealth system sucks. When I first played the game I just shot the shit out of everything, but it's a lot more fun seeking alternate routes to avoid conflict. The Reds vs Nazis level was particularly good in that aspect.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom