Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro: Last Light

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, there are cutscenes. How many? One...fucking one cutscene in the beginning of every chapter. Sometimes another at important places. And they are not even cutscenes like Metal Gear Solid. You don't lose control entirely, it is similar to Half Life 2, where you can look around while listening others dialogues.

So is there one fucking cut scene every chapter or are there more then one, make your mind.

Those cut scenes are nothing like Half Life 2. First of all, in HL2 you always had control of your character. Not only could you move a camera, you could also walk away and don't give a fuck about those scripted events(except dr Kleiner lab). In Half Life 1 you could even shoot NPC's if they were talking to much and your Gordon wasn't a people person. There is nothing worse in today's gaming then this limitation of PC control, so the game can tell you what the fuck is going on. Because player attention is interrupted if there are more then one stimulus at a time. Bioshiock Infinite have the same problem, instead of doing it Half Life way, the game force you to listen and watch every god damn important POV cut scene. Sometimes those cut scenes were meant to make you feel threatened. The thing is - how can you fear of anything if you know you can't do shit about what's happening on the screen besides moving your PC head. By movie directors wannabe for retards
One cutscene at the beginning of every chapter, and sometimes (RARELY) one during the missions if something important happened. What's so hard to understand about this?

It is not 100% similar to Half Life 2, but it is close. I've just fired up a few mission to be sure, and I could walk around in the rooms and look around while the others were talking. I couldn't go out of my way and leave everybody behind like in HL2, but it is not as bad as everbody is saying it is. The only time they take away the control if the character does something specific story specific (drinks with somebody, sits down with somebody to talk).

The thing is - how can you fear of anything if you know you can't do shit about what's happening on the screen besides moving your PC head
Where did you get that you have to fear something during a cutscene? Gameplay is there to make you fear, cutscenes are usually for expositon and dialogues.

MasPingon

Arcane
The thing is - how can you fear of anything if you know you can't do shit about what's happening on the screen besides moving your PC head
Where did you get that you have to fear something during a cutscene? Gameplay is there to make you fear, cutscenes are usually for expositon and dialogues.

I was refering to Bioshock Infinite in this one

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I was refering to Bioshock Infinite in this one
Oh, OK. I can't talk about that one, haven't played BI.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Meh, the game really isn't all that bad. It's better than pretty much every shooter released in the last two years.

You should all know by now that ohWow is one of the biggest shitposters on this board. He makes valid points from time to time, but they usually get lost in the rest of his shitposts.

DeepOcean

Arcane
J_C doesn't want to admit to himself he blew good monies on this shit game, which should be 15€ at release. Good graphics and fucking sweet setting |without / with shit| gameplay are worth something around that. Not 50€ + retard test pass.
I got it for free just FYI.

The problem is that this "cutscenes after cutscene, lots of turret sections, fighting monsters until the door opens" excuse is not true.
Yes, there are cutscenes. How many? One...fucking one cutscene in the beginning of every chapter. Sometimes another at important places. And they are not even cutscenes like Metal Gear Solid. You don't lose control entirely, it is similar to Half Life 2, where you can look around while listening others dialogues.
Lots of turret sections? How many? 3, maybe, all spaced out in 10 hours. And they are not literally turret sections, because you don't stand behind a fucking turret popping moles. Instead you are in a speeding boat and killing the monsters that try to attack you. That's one example.
Fighting monsters until the door opens? Yes, there is one like that, maybe two? Again, paced out in the whole campaign.

That's it, you faggots have seen one or two instances of these things, and somehow you convinced yourself that the game is littered with these things. When it is not.
I don't know about Last Light because I didn't played it yet but in Metro 2033, the problem isn't the quantity, if they were brief sections, they last for a long time and worse of all they play exactly as any popamole linear shooter. For example, in HL 2, you have turret sections but you aren't forced to take the machine gun, you could get a shotgun and blast enemies faces if you wanted, you could get down of the turret even if it wasn't the best idea. That turret section after front lines was a mood killer, you are playing a good shooter with interesting level design then it has to remember that want to be CoD too and you have that popamole section (it was a moving turret section instead of a stationary turret section which doen't make any difference). They could let you control the car instead of being a bitch to some NPC, like they appear to had done in one section of Last Light . Having to endure a turret section/wait until time passes and fight hordes of monsters or heavy scripted sequences at the beginning of each chapter can be annoying, you have a good time then suddenly a cold bath of popamole to kill your boner, up to the end of Armory station, the game had only dead city and the two bandit outposts that were interesting, the rest of the whole beginning of the game was just popamole that was only barely worth to suffer through because of the setting, far from being only an isolated case. It gets ALOT better, even with the popamole sections because they diminish in quantity, as you said, but the whole beginning section leave a bad taste. I can't judge Last Light but if they didn't improved this, it isn't a dreadful CoD clone but the CoD sections leave a terrible impression.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I'm still stuck at that fucking catacombs level. :( I feel so retarded, in other shooters I can give headshots like a pro, but some dumb beasts always overwhelm me.

:rage:

DeepOcean

Arcane
I'm still stuck at that fucking catacombs level. :( I feel so retarded, in other shooters I can give headshots like a pro, but some dumb beasts always overwhelm me.

In Metro 2033? The trick is to not stay on the same place and strafe alot with a shotgun to not be an easy target, those mutant fuckers move too fast to try to headshot.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I fucking hate the spider levels in games like this. It's not that they're scary, it's just that they're pretty suspenseful. I absolutely hate that feeling that something might attack me from behind.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

In Metro 2033? The trick is to not stay on the same place and strafe alot with a shotgun to not be an easy target, those mutant fuckers move too fast to try to headshot.

No, in Last Light, the one in the catacombs

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
J_C doesn't want to admit to himself he blew good monies on this shit game, which should be 15€ at release. Good graphics and fucking sweet setting |without / with shit| gameplay are worth something around that. Not 50€ + retard test pass.
I got it for free just FYI.

The problem is that this "cutscenes after cutscene, lots of turret sections, fighting monsters until the door opens" excuse is not true.
Lots of turret sections? How many? 3, maybe, all spaced out in 10 hours. And they are not literally turret sections, because you don't stand behind a fucking turret popping moles. Instead you are in a speeding boat and killing the monsters that try to attack you. That's one example.
Fighting monsters until the door opens? Yes, there is one like that, maybe two? Again, paced out in the whole campaign.

That's it, you faggots have seen one or two instances of these things, and somehow you convinced yourself that the game is littered with these things. When it is not.
I don't know about Last Light because I didn't played it yet but in Metro 2033, the problem isn't the quantity, if they were brief sections, they last for a long time and worse of all they play exactly as any popamole linear shooter. For example, in HL 2, you have turret sections but you aren't forced to take the machine gun, you could get a shotgun and blast enemies faces if you wanted, you could get down of the turret even if it wasn't the best idea. That turret section after front lines was a mood killer, you are playing a good shooter with interesting level design then it has to remember that want to be CoD too and you have that popamole section (it was a moving turret section instead of a stationary turret section which doen't make any difference). They could let you control the car instead of being a bitch to some NPC, like they appear to had done in one section of Last Light . Having to endure a turret section/wait until time passes and fight hordes of monsters or heavy scripted sequences at the beginning of each chapter can be annoying, you have a good time then suddenly a cold bath of popamole to kill your boner, up to the end of Armory station, the game had only dead city and the two bandit outposts that were interesting, the rest of the whole beginning of the game was just popamole that was only barely worth to suffer through because of the setting, far from being only an isolated case. It gets ALOT better, even with the popamole sections because they diminish in quantity, as you said, but the whole beginning section leave a bad taste. I can't judge Last Light but if they didn't improved this, it isn't a dreadful CoD clone but the CoD sections leave a terrible impression.
Well in Metro LL, you can't even call the turret sections ...well... turret sections. They are not about having a turret which you mount, and kill loads of enemies. Once for example, you are riding on your "railcar", and you have to kill another car on the adjacent line. But you can use whatever weapon you want. Same with the boat sequence. There is only ONE section, which is literally a turret sections, and you do like you discribed. That is the final 30 (!!!!) seconds in the final battle. Unbearable, I know.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Get ready to embrace the "STALKER STASH DLC: feel like a real stalker with this tasty retextured and stupidly overpowered weapons!"
:yeah:

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Just finished it. The game is so mediocre that I don't understand what the argument in this thread is for. It is true that there is no pressure while playing due to the amount of scripts-no matter what happens you know that it is scripted and can't kill you. The "awesome" moments quickly become tedious because of this, they really shouldn't have put so much resources into scripting. The setting just cries for an open-world stalker-like game. Imagine traveling between stations or scavenging on the surface while trying not to disrupt mutants. The bear protecting its children would have been much more awesome if it was in a larger world and you didn't really have to attack it. Oh and also all ammo being used as currency without the stupid normal/military grade thing (which is not even in the books).

The stealth sections are just atrocious. Shooting is better than in Metro 2033 but that doesn't really say much. Weapons were boring, shooting enemies was tedious etc. Character interactions were nonexistent. Not really my type of game but I've read the books and I liked them (they were fun if with no literary value.)

I certainly hope that someone capable picks up this setting, though. I think it has more potential than the STALKER setting. Of course they should completely drop the whole communist/nazi bullshit, which is beyond retarded. I don't have high hopes for it, though, since MEtro 2034 was shit and the guys making the games are too into linear cinematic experiences with no freedom, story or character interaction.
That being said, the story was ok but nothing special. I don't remember much of 2033 , there were no memorable moments in this one as well.

EDIT: God, I read Metro 2033 5 years ago. Time does pass quickly.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
It is true that there is no pressure while playing due to the amount of scripts-no matter what happens you know that it is scripted and can't kill you.
That is pure unfiltered bullshit. Please mention one or two from these, so I can replay it and die in the game, just to prove your BS.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
That is pure unfiltered bullshit. Please mention one or two from these, so I can replay it and die in the game, just to prove your BS.
Did you play the same game? Or did you forget all the "awesome" moments when shit is exploding around you in slow motion? They were so unmemorable that I can't even remember the exact locations, but if you keep on nagging I will provide a youtube video or something.
Or you probably forgot when you have to tap e repeatedly to do awesome stuff! Sorry, judging from this thread tapping e repeatedly is gameplay for you.
This is one of the few games I've played where you don't have control over you character that much-there were a few times when I didn't even have to press "w" to crawl forward, ffs.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
It is true that there is no pressure while playing due to the amount of scripts-no matter what happens you know that it is scripted and can't kill you.
PRESS E PRESS E FAST, you're so full of bullshit that even PRESS E won't help much

stop embarassing yourself

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

I won't blame you -- you grew up in this era of shitty DLC milking. Society has warped your mind.
No, what they describe in the link is a new, smaller campaign or set of campaigns, not just some little farts of unrelated content--though there is a pack of those in there too, admittedly. It's just that the term "expansion pack" has fallen out of favor for whatever reason.

Multi-headed Cow

expansion pack!
ibslEB6Ku4Ox6U.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom