Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Microsoft invite you to attend the Atari Landfill excavation on April 26

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
http://www.vg247.com/2014/04/10/mic...nd-the-atari-landfill-excavation-on-april-26/

Microsoft has invited the public to attend the Atari Landfill excavation where a team will search for buried E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial video game rumored to be buried in New Mexico.

Supposedly millions of copies of the unsold game were buried in 1983 near the small town of Alamogordo, New Mexico in 1983.

Fuel Entertainment and local garbage contractor Joe Lewandowski have acquired the rights to excavate the landfill and Xbox Entertainment Studios will be part of thedocumentary series along with producers Simon and Jonathan Chinn from Lightbox.

The site will be open to the public on April 26 and spectators can watch the team uncover the infamous Atari grave, if the cartridges are indeed buried there.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Meh, at best they'll find a load of crushed black plastic, the labels will have deteriorated by now.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I wouldn't go digging in the desert.
walter-white.jpg

Pretty cool, if they find it.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Meh, at best they'll find a load of crushed black plastic, the labels will have deteriorated by now.
You'd be surprised. Depending on how the cartridges where dumped in, there might be some in the top-center that are well preserved in the anaerobic environment.

Or everything will be covered in shit, who knows.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Game wasn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Especially considering how limited most 2600 titles were.

Cassidy

Arcane
Game wasn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Especially considering how limited most 2600 titles were.

IF E.T. was released today, it would be hailed as :

"CITIZEN KANE OF GAMES MEETS E.T."

*Edit: I wish one day another company will excavate a landfill of Xbones

DeepOcean

Arcane
I came expecting an edgy remark about Microsoft buying Atari leftovers but then it was really Microsoft paying to excavate useless shit what is double LOL.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They should do something useful and hunt down the lost relics from the Sword Quest games they never produced (and thus never awarded in the contests held for first few installments).

DeepOcean

Arcane
I really don't understand, isn't Microsoft Xbox division truck full of shit already? Why they need to excavate for more?

J1M

Arcane
They should pre-seed the dig site with viral alternate-reality game clues that eventually lead to them finding the Atari storage bins full of copies of Halo 5.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
As an added bonus, once they dig up all the ET carts, there will be a nice big hole in which to bury all the X Rebirth discs, along with the entire Egosoft staff.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Little known fact, but E.T. is the predecessor to 2008's Prince of Persia. Same mechanics and everything.

Yes, it really was, even when I was a kid. Games of that era were generally based off a singular fun mechanic, that is then extended in various ways. ET lacked a singular fun mechanic.

The limitations of the 2600 wasn't the issue. There were far simpler games that were far FAR better than ET: Pong, Space Invaders, Tanks and Pacman all had good Atari releases.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
No, it was fine. Go collect 'dem space ship parts, brah.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why would anybody care about it anyway? I guess digging shit is just the part of American culture that I will never get.

ColCol

Arcane
The shityness off all those ET games combined will magically create.....one copy of Bioshock infinite.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
They should do something useful and hunt down the lost relics from the Sword Quest games they never produced (and thus never awarded in the contests held for first few installments).

The persistant rumour is that Jack Tramiel had them, no idea if that's true or not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom