Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Microsoft invite you to attend the Atari Landfill excavation on April 26

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I get the same vibe from this event as the time when they opened Al Capone's vault live on TV... only to find it empty.

Grimlorn

Arcane
0.jpg

200.gif

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Now that I think about it, the old Atari ET game plays a lot like a modern 2deep4you indie game :smug:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I actually played E.T. on the Atari as a kid (of course the cartridge was old even then).

It was an interesting game that was trying to be complex in some ways, but it wasn't really very fun. It might have worked today as a mobile game with some sort of Flappy Birds-esque addictive control mechanic.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Warning: contains endgame spoilers

Hopefully they take this expert with them to document this historic excavation.

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Meh, at best they'll find a load of crushed black plastic, the labels will have deteriorated by now.
You'd be surprised. Depending on how the cartridges where dumped in, there might be some in the top-center that are well preserved in the anaerobic environment.

Or everything will be covered in shit, who knows.
In that case, how will they be able to pick out the game?

:troll:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They should do something useful and hunt down the lost relics from the Sword Quest games they never produced (and thus never awarded in the contests held for first few installments).

The persistant rumour is that Jack Tramiel had them, no idea if that's true or not.
So I've heard. Always thought it would make a humorous Jack Black-esque movie to have some older geek hunt them down/break into Tramiel's house.

Topher

Cipher
ET get's a bad rap. It had a screwed up development cycle even for back then and the guy who threw it together was actually a really solid developer. Interesting story.

Bio Force Ape

Arcane
I thought they did hunt down the Swordquest prizes? Didn't one guy melt his down to sell the gold?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Isn't there a lot of Pac Man games dug there as well ?

Yeah, the 2600 port of Pac-man was notoriously terrible with constant graphic flickering and poor AI.

Hm, I never saw any problems like that myself. Then again, I only got the 2600 as a gift by the time it was already obsolete, so maybe they'd patched the game.

A friend of mine tried connecting his Amiga mouse to the 2600, since it used the same kind of connector, and reported that Pac Man flew all over the place. I guess they couldn't spare any processor cycles for validating input on those old machines :)

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
That flickering problem is actually more obvious on LCD screens than on CRTs, because of remanence.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Isn't there a lot of Pac Man games dug there as well ?

Yeah, the 2600 port of Pac-man was notoriously terrible with constant graphic flickering and poor AI.

Hm, I never saw any problems like that myself. Then again, I only got the 2600 as a gift by the time it was already obsolete, so maybe they'd patched the game.

A friend of mine tried connecting his Amiga mouse to the 2600, since it used the same kind of connector, and reported that Pac Man flew all over the place. I guess they couldn't spare any processor cycles for validating input on those old machines :)

Huh, didn't know the amiga mouse used the same connector. That's cool. I heard of some people using a Genesis controller on their 2600s to some success.

Bio Force Ape

Arcane

Homebrewers have come up with some impressive stuff in recent years for the 2600, though its hardware constraints still create the flicker problem -- I think it can only handle 2 sprites on the screen at a time, so to do more than that causes flicker (and the programmer to use tricks like making the extra sprites part of the background).

Wasn't this a topic in another thread (creating new software for old machines)? That dude should definitely not peek into the abyss of modern day Atari 2600 programmers.

Luzur

Good Sir
well, they arent that rare for Microsoft to want to cash in by digging them up, i got a ET cartridge too if they want it.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
But what about the prices on ebay now?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom