Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Microsoft shutting down GFWL - removed from Batman:AA/AC, Bioshock 2, Dawn of War 2 and Dark Souls

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Why are they using the Xbox branding for Windows? Xbox is a console, it even has "box" in the title. Nothing about "Xbox on Windows" resembles the Xbox service itself, and as usual the integration into Microsoft's horrible walled garden service (which is bound to be little more than a clone of GfWL's store) and terrible support will doom it to failure. It's like every single department at the company is strategically positioned to make as many horrible business decisions as possible.

Looking over the site here:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/windows/games?xr=shellnav

Pathetic game selection, and I like how they managed to stretch "you can buy games on it I guess" into like 5 paragraphs' worth of features.

Last edited:
Because people like the XBox and associate the name with games, I guess. There doesn't seem to be much depth to this decision other than "let's hope people forget GFWL ever existed".

Fucking finally... I had so much hate when I bought GTA4 via Steam, only to find out GFWL ruined it with it's shitty DRM and log-in to save bullshit.

I think you still have to sign on for Rockstar Social Club. :M

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
But... it's like, do Microsoft actually think PC gamers give a shit about the Xbox brand? Most Xbox fans don't even care that much about the Xbox brand itself, they just buy it because they have to to play Halo. Calling this Xbox for Windows is more likely to drive their intended audience away than anything else, and grossly overestimates their reputation and fan loyalty. Not to mention, the competition is so many light years ahead of them that no self-respecting PC gamer would ever want to touch any Microsoft service with a 10-foot pole.

Maybe their audience aren't the hardcore "PC gamers" who foam at the mouth at the mention of the XBox*, but simply people who play games on PC, who aren't particularly distrustful towards the brand. If I wanted to reach that public, I'd bet on the XBox name, if only because it was successful and people associate successfulness with quality.

*and even those guys won't be driven away since they put up with anything to play the games they want (see: GFWL and Dark Souls, GTA4, Batman, etc)

DemonKing

Arcane
I don't understand the contempt Microsoft seems to have for people that like to play games on PCs instead of X-Box...after all you still need to buy a Windows OS in most cases to be able to play the majority of games released on PC (Steam OS might change that, of course...) which means more $$$ for M$. There's not a PC gamer in the world that fires up their PC and wishes it could be more like an X-Box so why they think we want to have an X-Box like experience on our PC screens I have no idea.

Syl

Cipher
Because since Bill Gates had the prophetic vision 30 years ago that one day everybody will need an OS and a word processing software, which made him the richest man in the world, they have been clueless.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I don't understand the contempt Microsoft seems to have for people that like to play games on PCs instead of X-Box...after all you still need to buy a Windows OS in most cases to be able to play the majority of games released on PC (Steam OS might change that, of course...) which means more $$$ for M$. There's not a PC gamer in the world that fires up their PC and wishes it could be more like an X-Box so why they think we want to have an X-Box like experience on our PC screens I have no idea.

There's actually a very simple reason for that. Xbox is a closed platform, and Microsoft gets a cut off each software sale for it; as opposed to Windows, where anyone can build and sell any software they wish without giving a shit about Microsoft's feelings on the matter. Microsoft, of course, would like to exercise similar control over Windows, and Windows 8 is seen by many as the first step towards that; this is, however, very difficult for them to do for a variety of reasons (not even Apple, who can get away with a lot more than Microsoft, have been able to turn OS X into a closed system).

Of course, you could say "Then they should build a service on Windows that would entice customers to play and buy games on it. Their own, superior version of Steam, if you will.". Microsoft can't do that though, because they suck. So what's the next best thing? Trying to kill off Windows gaming and cause those customers to move to Xbox, where they can freely be fleeced without limit.

They don't give a shit about what you want, it's about them wanting more money. Which is just another reason why this recent abomination will fail as well.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fallout 3 GFWL Removal in Progress

While we haven't seen any sort of announcement about it from Bethesda Softworks, a report on NeoGAF alerts us to the fact that the developer has recently made changes to Fallout 3 in order to begin preparations for the removal of Games For Windows Live integration. The real question here is whether or not they intend to replace it with Steam integration, I suppose:

10 minutes ago Removed SupportsCDKeyCopyToClipboard – 0
10 minutes ago Removed ShowCDKeyOnLaunch – 1
10 minutes ago Removed LegacyKeyRegistryLocation – HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\TestApp22300\SteamKey
10 minutes ago Removed LegacyKeyRegistrationMethod – registry
10 minutes ago Changed changenumber – 351679 › 365235

http://steamdb.info/app/22300/#section_history

For those of you that do not know, GFWL cannot function unless you have a key to input. Removing the key from the registry entirely would not allow GFWL to function. Not showing a key on start up is just icing on the cake.

:greatjob: What are they gonna do with non-Steam retail versions, I wonder.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I had the misfortune of playing Bioshock 2 (INSERT JOKE CUTEOFF QUOTE LOL), a week before they removed GFWL and added Steam achievement. That blowed.

Dexter

Arcane
http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/17/games-for-windows-live-is-dying-we-check-the-life-support-of-ga/

Microsoft announced last year that Games for Windows would shut down its marketplace features on August 22, 2013, signaling the beginning of the end for the service. Never quite achieving its desired critical mass, GFWL handled DRM, achievements, and multiplayer for a long list of games.

A since-deleted support article for Age of Empires Online stated that the GFWL service would be discontinued on July 1, 2014. Although Microsoft has not yet made an official announcement on the matter, a number of developers took this to mean that their games would effectively become unplayable in July and began work to divorce them from GFWLs, often switching over to Steamworks.

However, a large number of developers remained quiet about plans, so Joystiq reached out to get the official word on what the future may hold for their games past July.
Green = GFWL has been removed.
Blue = GFWL will be removed.
Red = No plans.
Purple = We've reached out but are still awaiting response.

2K Games
BioShock 2 (Steamworks)

Bethesda
Fallout 3 (None. GFWL CD key requirement removed by Steam. Instructions are available for downloading and archiving DLC purchased through GFWL.)

Capcom
Dark Void (No plans.)
Dead Rising 2 (No plans.)
Dead Rising 2: Off the Record (No plans.)
Lost Planet 2 (No plans.)
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Colonies Edition (No plans.)
Resident Evil 5 (No plans.)
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (No plans.)

Street Fighter X Tekken (No plans.)
Super Street Fighter IV / Arcade Edition (Steamworks)

Codemasters
DiRT 2 (No Comment.)
DiRT 3 (Steamworks)
F1 2010 (Steamworks)
F1 2011 (Steamworks)

Fuel (No Comment. Delisted from Steam.)
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising (No Comment.)

Operation Flashpoint: Red River (No Comment.)

Double Fine Productions
Iron Brigade (No plans.)

EA
Bulletstorm

Microsoft
Fable 3 (No plans.)
Gears of War (No plans.)
Halo 2 (No plans.)
Microsoft Flight (No plans.)
Shadowrun (No plans.)
Tinker (No plans.)
Viva Piñata (No plans.)

Namco Bandai
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon - Enhanced Edition (Exploring options, but no set plans yet.)
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (Exploring options, but no set plans yet.)

Update: Namco Bandai descriptions altered from "will update" to "exploring options."

Nordic Games
Red Faction: Guerrilla (Will strip GFWL. May replace with an existing service or develop its own.)

Rockstar Games
Grand Theft Auto IV + Episodes From Liberty City

Sega
The Club
Stormrise
Universe at War: Earth Assault
Virtua Tennis 4
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 2

Shadow Planet Productions
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet (Steamworks)

Signal Studios
Toy Soldiers (Can choose between GFWL or Steamworks)

Strategy First
Flatout: Ultimate Carnage

Square Enix
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men

Twisted Pixel
Ms. Splosion Man (Steamworks. No timeline.)

Warner Bros
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY (Steamworks)
Batman: Arkham City GOTY (Steamworks)
Gotham City Impostors (Steamworks)

Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection

Zombie Studios / Ignition Entertainment
Blacklight: Tango Down (No plans.)

The following games are extremely unlikely to be updated:

Activision
Quantum of Solace (Delisted. Publisher no longer has rights to franchise.)

Disney Interactive
Star Wars: Clone Wars - Republic Heroes (Original publisher [Lucasarts] Closed)
Tron: Evolution (Studio Closed)

Timegate Studios
Section 8 (Studio Closed)
Section 8: Prejudice (Studio Closed)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Capcom being douches, Microsoft pretending nothing happening.... such surprise. Still better than I expected.

Except "indie heroes" Double Fine, that don't give a fuck about consumers losing the game they payed for.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Nice to hear at least some developers are updating their games to remain functional. This whole mess really shows the downside of DRM and required online activation/online features. This is probably the first significant situation where DRM has indeed either removed the ability to play games outright or fully enjoy them, just as many predicted would happen, and even though several games are being updated, it's still not pretty either way.

It also goes to show that some publishers simply do not care if their users can no longer use the products they paid money for, whether to push them into buying new versions, sequels, etc. or simply because they feel they wouldn't make money doing so. That's why it's doubly worth giving a pat on the back to those who are going out of their way to remove the DRM (or replace it, which is less ideal but I'll take Steam over other options any day).

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Nice to hear at least some developers are updating their games to remain functional. This whole mess really shows the downside of DRM and required online activation/online features. This is probably the first significant situation where DRM has indeed either removed the ability to play games outright or fully enjoy them, just as many predicted would happen, and even though several games are being updated, it's still not pretty either way.

It also goes to show that some publishers simply do not care if their users can no longer use the products they paid money for, whether to push them into buying new versions, sequels, etc. or simply because they feel they wouldn't make money doing so. That's why it's doubly worth giving a pat on the back to those who are going out of their way to remove the DRM (or replace it, which is less ideal but I'll take Steam over other options any day).

That's why I'm still boycotting Steam and any game that uses online activation/DRM schemes (well the fact that I hardly buy any modern games at all help of course). These assholes pushing their "games/software as a service" agenda can go fuck themselves, as can every digital distribution platform that insist on their customers running some of kind client in order to play the games they bought (which pretty much means any DD platform except GOG).
I can play games from 20+ years ago just fine on my computer, how many of today's more obscure/unpopular games would I be able to run 20 years from now?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom