Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Microsoft want to get into PC gaming again

AngryKobold

Arcane
In 1998 I would laugh at your digital poverty.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Jokes aside, Microsoft IS PC. Windows and DirectX. Microsoft being beaten on console field, retreating to PC, MIGHT drastically improve the situation. Too bad it's probably about mind- numbing bullshit like new DRM platform, Windows Appstore, etc...

To be honest, I expect the worst. Watch it: current CEO is Indian. Never trust dark- skinned people who are able to levitate.
When they talk about more focus on PC they don't mean their big console games coming over. They want you to own both a Windows PC and an Xbox One, not get everything from one platform.
aka they're greedy whores who aren't even willing to suck my cock but have no issues spying on me.

I bet you didn't give a shit about CIA backdoors in Windows 98. When you were basically drowning in good games made for this system.

They're PC for the time being. It's really astounding to watch a company so large and powerful fail at capturing or sustaining their lead in so many markets.

agris

Arcane
Patron
From friends in comp. sci. departments, it sounds like a huge part of their grunt programming is done via low-paid/no-paid temps and interns. I'm talking Windows, not some no-name tech demo. It isn't surprising, it's their largesse that insulates them from the failure of 1000 small things, they've got their xbone and enterprise customers to keep the ship afloat. Shit, to hear insiders talk of it, anti-piracy DRM in windows and office is only to appease stockholders. MS doesn't give a fuck about consumer use of its non-game software, it's the enterprise and government gigs that pay the bills.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
They're PC for the time being. It's really astounding to watch a company so large and powerful fail at capturing or sustaining their lead in so many markets.

They've been predicting the death of the PC for a long time now and have been transitioning into other markets. Unfortunately they suck at it, so a lot of people assume the new boss will refocus them on Windows and other software. So far they're denying radical change publicly, but that probably means nothing either way.

No matter what happens the next 20 years will be interesting. Hopefully PC gaming doesn't get too lost in the shuffle.

set

Cipher
I remember when this was true at the onset of the xbox. Anyone remember Shadowrun? How about the fiasco of PC and Xbox users playing together? GFWL was ms's lovely gift to us lol where it is now? about to be axed

M$ threw away too many good developers (ensemble rip) away, they're never going to be 'pc oriented' even if it costs them the market 20 years from now. they're even flailing in the console space pretty soon they'll be all-in tablet and walled-garden-software-sales like apple except they'll suck at it

DarthBehemoth

Learned
Last time Microsoft tried to push PC gaming, we got ports of Halo 2 and Shadowrun that only ran on Vista *shudders* I think they should just focus on Xbone since console peasants are all incompetent sheep anyway...

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
From friends in comp. sci. departments, it sounds like a huge part of their grunt programming is done via low-paid/no-paid temps and interns. I'm talking Windows, not some no-name tech demo. It isn't surprising, it's their largesse that insulates them from the failure of 1000 small things, they've got their xbone and enterprise customers to keep the ship afloat. Shit, to hear insiders talk of it, anti-piracy DRM in windows and office is only to appease stockholders. MS doesn't give a fuck about consumer use of its non-game software, it's the enterprise and government gigs that pay the bills.

Relying on largesse to keep you safe is probably the most misguided and laziest strategm to every crawl its way out of the corporate playbook. High standards are the only thing that can save you in the long term.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Please leave PC gaming alone, Microsoft.
you kidding me? they basically *own* PC-gaming. they're only getting some wind into their trousers now that people start piling onto the valve OpenGL bus.
I shudder to think of what they could do with PC gaming when they actually focus the all seeing eye of $auron on it instead of their pet console. I don't know exactly what it is I'm scared of, but I feel like things could be worse given how the console market has gone since the X-Box.

Boleskine

Arcane
Microsoft's greatest contribution to PC gaming was Hover.

screenshot002.JPG

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I have to ask: why does Microsoft even dirty it's hands with gaming? It's a huge corporation, who as others astutely noted make most of their money off of OS's and Office. Their gaming division seems to be more break even and a big distraction. Even MS had the sense to diminish their focus on IE - why so much weight behind XBox and gaming itself? You don't see Apple farting around, meddling with this stuff.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I have to ask: why does Microsoft even dirty it's hands with gaming? It's a huge corporation, who as others astutely noted make most of their money off of OS's and Office. Their gaming division seems to be more break even and a big distraction. Even MS had the sense to diminish their focus on IE - why so much weight behind XBox and gaming itself? You don't see Apple farting around, meddling with this stuff.
There is no room to grow with businesses. They need new markets to keep expanding.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
There is no room to grow with businesses. They need new markets to keep expanding.
Well, they already have an ERP solution they should be focusing on, that is the market that should have XBox exposure. There are a lot of good solutions, but instead of focusing on their wheelhouse (Dynamix, SharePoint, Office, OS) they should spin games into an entirely different company or something. Think problems with the gaming side hurt MS's credibility in other markets.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Last time Microsoft tried to push PC gaming, we got ports of Halo 2 and Shadowrun that only ran on Vista *shudders* I think they should just focus on Xbone since console peasants are all incompetent sheep anyway...

And Halo 2 was a shit game, even if you liked the original a bit.

Data4

Arcane
Until they make a proper Flight Simulator 11 to atone for that MS Flight abortion, they're dead to me as far as gaming goes.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The last time Microsoft tried to "focus" on PC gaming, we got Games for Windows Live. I'll wait until they release something actually good before I start caring, and I feel safe that anny GfWL level bullshit they start will be ignored by the community and quickly disappear.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
To be fair, MS might now actually stand a chance to follow through with their intentions of a PC gaming revival, simply because they got rid of the evil motherfucker Don Mattrick.

He's now the CEO of Zynga btw. :D

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Oh hey look, the #1 PC gaming editor is pushing gaming towards Linux and Microsoft suddenly realizes that it is the only thing keeping it's OS afloat in the long term.

Windows days are counted. Linux is getting a lot more acceptance to a greater audience.
The only reason the administration I work for has kept Windows is because we are so backwards we still need DOS compatibility (yes, nobody told them about DosBox). It will take years, but by the time of Windows 10 or 11, that thing is going to the next OS X.

agris

Arcane
Patron
raptor brothers, surely you can find common ground on this issue. MS is shit, yes?

bagdad-bob.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom