Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nice review.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Good review.
Game is repetitive but pretty fun if you ignore the story and plot characters.
Plainly speaking story is boring and badly written which is only made worse by plot characters.
>whore spider
>boring and annoying MC - I would prefer actually play as a Celebimber that use different bodies
>a nigger which would be not that bad if only for lack any other male characters outside of orcs and was clearly from minority quota
>a sheelf - annoying ugly cunt
>and the winner of the most annoying character award - the stronk girl with daddy issues - that end as you could expect
Whole plot is no better but narration and characters are just meh.
So what is good? Where is the fun?
>grind
>killing orcs
>collecting orcs
>levelling orcs
>getting killed by orcs
>getting killed by this fucker orc that you kill few times but he still come back to fuck your shit up in the worse moment possible(for you).
>orcs
>ORCS
Seriously Nemesis system is great and orcs have plenty of personality and all of them look and sound pretty unique - which is kind of surprising as you burn through them like fuel burn through steel.
Nemesis system is the best thing I the game and really shame that its not appear in other games. Whole inflitrate and manage orcs minigame is not bad either.
Playing off-line so I no loot boxes and well its fine. Probably not gonna finish the story but really the most fun is just mess with the orcs.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Is it actually more challenging this time around? Or do you still become godlike very fast?
Not really.
Grunt orcs are just background noises. Main weight are captains and sometimes there are fights like 4v5 random fights with orcs ambushing you, betraying, walking on you, getting back with revenge or ambushing your ambushing force. Captains can get pretty strong with right trait and help of mass fooder and other captains.
>enrage by everything(its real trait)
They also can learn in fight to counter your moves.
Play it on Nemesis and you can also tun off most UI or notifications. Better experience and more fun this way.
Also game rely on you getting killed and on Nemesis difficulty it would happen more.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Fun gameplay, shit story you say. Hmmm..... I did like (and even finish) Mordor, so I might end up picking up this one too. Kinda struggling whether I should waste my time with this or Nioh.

Is ambushing/stealthing Orc swines still as fun in this game as in Mordor?

Hellion

Arcane
All Open-World aspects of it, including dealing with the Orcs, are improved and enhanced versions of what was seen in Shadow of Mordor. The way Orc Leaders behave within Nemesis System is probably the most fun I've had with a non-RPG game in years. If you enjoyed yourself in SoM and don't care about the lorebreaking (or the lootboxes and end-game grind), you'll definitely enjoy it.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
The way Orc Leaders behave within Nemesis System is probably the most fun I've had with a non-RPG game in years.
Is there improvement in the Nemesis system from the first game? Because I don't see the point in playing both if the Nemesis system is already in the first.

Hellion

Arcane
There's much more diversity between the various Orc Captains (skill-wise, appearence-wise and even personality-wise), they really go on their way to exact revenge on you when you kill one of their Blood-brothers, Orc Captains can now ambush you out of nowhere while you're traveling around the world (even at completely inconvenient times, like when you're already on a mission and in the middle of a fight with other Captains), and at higher levels they usually travel around in groups of 2-3 Captains so that they're not as easy to defeat.

I'm sure I'm forgeting some other stuff, but in general it feels much more fleshed-out compared to the first.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I still very much want to play this, currently -40% for the Black Friday sale, I'd pay $36 buuuuuut it's still twice that much for the complete game.

Not yet.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Been playing the game a ton, like it a lot. Endless procession of orcs pissing me off and making me want to hunt them or recruit the cooler ones has been awesome for the first jesus christ 36 hours and I still feel like I'm just getting started.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Microtransactions are no more. They'll remove Gold, War Chests, and the Market to "fully restore the core promise of the Nemesis System": http://steamcommunity.com/games/356190/announcements/detail/1649881367335038264

Important Free Updates Coming to Shadow of War

Free Game Updates – Coming July 17

We want to thank all of the Middle-earth: Shadow of War players, as we’ve learned a lot from you. Since we released the game last fall, we’ve been listening to your feedback and continue to update and improve the experience. With that in mind, we’ll be releasing a series of free updates in the coming months to offer current fans and new players the best Shadow of War experience we possibly can.

The core promise of the Nemesis System is the ability to build relationships with your personal allies and enemies in a dynamic open world. While purchasing Orcs in the Market is more immediate and provides additional player options, we have come to realize that providing this choice risked undermining the heart of our game, the Nemesis System. It allows you to miss out on the awesome player stories you would have otherwise created, and it compromises those same stories even if you don’t buy anything. Simply being aware that they are available for purchase reduces the immersion in the world and takes away from the challenge of building your personal army and your fortresses. In order to fully restore the core promise of the Nemesis System, we’ll be permanently removing Gold, War Chests and the Market from Shadow of War. This means the option to purchase Gold with real-world money and the ability to gain Orc Followers from War Chests will be removed. There will be a specific amount of time given for players to utilize their unused Gold. If players have unused Gold by the end of the time allotted to spend it, any remaining Gold will be converted to in-game items.

Additionally, we’ll be updating the Shadow Wars section of the campaign, where players defend their fortresses against Sauron’s repeated counter-attacks. This portion of the game will be improved with new narrative elements and streamlined for a more cohesive experience. For players who choose to continue with these on-going fortress defense missions, the Endless Siege update released last November will still be available. We’ll also be incorporating many other gameplay improvements that will be detailed in future build notes, including Nemesis System updates, new player skins, skill tree additions, gear system upgrades and progression updates, just to name a few that we’re excited about.

Please note that the above updates are free for all Shadow of War owners. The ability to purchase Gold will permanently cease on May 8, 2018. The permanent removal of Gold, War Chests and the Market will take place on July 17, 2018, at the same time as all other updates discussed above.

The entire team here at Monolith appreciates our dedicated fans, and we feel that these improvements will provide all players with the very best Shadow of War gameplay experience. In the meantime, we’ll keep everyone informed throughout the process as we work through the details associated with these changes. We’ve also posted an FAQ below to provide additional information.

Thank you again for your support.

Monolith Productions

FAQ

Why are Gold and the Market being removed from Shadow of War?
The core promise of the Nemesis System is the ability to build relationships with your personal allies and enemies in a dynamic open world. While purchasing Orcs in the Market is more immediate and provides additional player options, we have come to realize that providing this choice risked undermining the heart of our game, the Nemesis System. It allows you to miss out on the awesome player stories you would have otherwise created, and it compromises those same stories even if you don’t buy anything. Simply being aware that they are available for purchase reduces the immersion in the world and takes away from the challenge of building your personal army and your fortresses. In order to fully restore the core promise of the Nemesis System, we’ll be permanently removing Gold, War Chests and the Market from Shadow of War. This means the option to purchase Gold with real-world money and the ability to gain Orc Followers from War Chests will be removed.

When will Gold and the Market be removed from the game?
Gold will no longer be available for purchase with real-world money beginning on May 8, 2018. Players will still be able to spend Gold and receive Gold via in-game challenges up until the Market closes permanently on July 17, 2018.

Are there plans to add Gold or the Market back into the game in the future?
No, these are permanent changes to the game.

Will players still be able to spend Mirian on in-game items through the Market?
Players will be able to spend Mirian in the Market until it permanently closes beginning on July 17.

Will players still be able to earn and spend Mirian in the game?
Yes, Mirian will continue to be used to unlock gem slots and increase fortress defenses. We will also be adding the ability use Mirian to acquire Training Orders or upgrade a piece of older gear to your current level, as well as spend gems to reroll gear stats.

What will happen to unused Gold when the Market is permanently closed?
Any remaining Gold will be converted to Gold Loot Chests beginning on July 17. Each 150 in Gold will be converted to one Gold Loot Chest, with any balance under 150 Gold being converted to a single Gold Loot Chest. The contents of Gold Loot Chests will remain unchanged.

Can Gold voucher codes still be used after the Market is permanently closed?
Gold vouchers redeemed on or after July 17, when the Market closes, will be converted into Gold Loot Chests. Gold vouchers redeemed before July 17 can be used normally.

Will these game updates change how players can recruit Orcs?
There will now be more ways to recruit and upgrade Orcs, including recruitment during Online Conquests and Online Vendettas, as well as having more Legendary Orcs present in the game.

Will players still be able to purchase or earn War Chests?
No, the ability to purchase or earn War Chests will be removed from the game when the Market permanently closes beginning on July 17. However, all unopened War Chests that a player has obtained will still be available in the Garrison.

Will players still be able to earn or purchase Loot Chests?
The ability to purchase Loot Chests will be removed from the game when the Market permanently closes beginning on July 17. However, Loot Chests can still be earned in-game through Online Conquests and Online Vendettas. Loot Chest contents will remain unchanged.

How are the in-game chest rewards going to change going forward?
Online Conquests and Online Vendettas will continue to award Loot Chests. Online Fight Pits will continue to award Training Orders through chests. Community Challenges will award chests. Spoils of War chests will now contain Training Orders instead of Orcs, including a guaranteed Legendary Training Order.

Will the Garrison remain in the game?
Yes, unassigned Followers, unopened chests, unused Boosts and unused Training orders will continue to be available in the Garrison.

Will weekly Market updates continue to be released until the Market is closed?
The Market will continue to update as normal until May 1. On May 1, the Market will still be available, but no longer feature any new content or promotions. The Market will be permanently closed beginning on July 17.

Will Daily Challenges continue to reward players with Gold?
Gold will continue to be available as a reward for Daily Challenges until the Market is permanently closed on July 17. After that date, challenges that awarded Gold will now award Legendary gear.

How can Gold be used between now and July 17?
Players can continue to purchase items in the Market with Gold until the Market is permanently closed on July 17.

What will happen to unopened chests that have already been purchased when the Market is closed?
After the Market is permanently closed on July 17, all unopened chests will continue to be available for use in the Garrison

What will happen to items in the Garrison once the Market is closed?
Nothing will change. All Orcs and in-game items that were in the Garrison prior to the Market closure will continue to be available after the Market is closed.

Why is the Shadow Wars portion of the game being changed?
With the addition of the Endless Siege mode, we are now able to streamline the Shadow Wars and add a number of improvements to the presentation, along with new narrative elements to provide a more cohesive experience.

When will the Shadow Wars updates be implemented?
The Shadow Wars updates will be available on July 17, along with other game updates.

What will happen to players who have already started the Shadow Wars when the update goes live?
For players who have already started the Shadow Wars, it will restart upon receiving the update. For players who have already completed the Shadow Wars, it will remain completed. For players who have yet to begin the Shadow Wars, the new version will be available when they arrive at that point in the game.

What other game updates are being planned?
We will be incorporating many gameplay improvements that will be detailed in future build notes, including Nemesis System updates, new player skins, skill tree additions, gear system upgrades and progression updates.

Will these changes be implemented in all regions?
Yes, all game updates will be available in all regions and platforms globally.

I guess microtransactions revenues have been much lower than expected.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Proving once again the only way to get a tangible reaction out of this industry is to threaten its bottom line in some way. Good news, though.

Hellion

Arcane
Why is the Shadow Wars portion of the game being changed?
With the addition of the Endless Siege mode, we are now able to streamline the Shadow Wars and add a number of improvements to the presentation, along with new narrative elements to provide a more cohesive experience.

Thank God. Maybe it will become something more than an endless grind now.

It's probably too late to fully redeem the game sales-wise, but maybe their GOTY Edition will do a bit better now once it's out.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It seems that sales lost is bigger than the microtransactions revenue.

Proving once again the only way to get a tangible reaction out of this industry is to threaten its bottom line in some way. Good news, though.
Just like any other industry mate.

orcinator

Liturgist
Wow they removed the micro-transactions after the game was forgotten and nobody was going to keep buying them! Good guy WB! #based #preorderthenextone #ascoolasthattimetheymadehthecancermandlcfree

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

The Desolation of Mordor Story Expansion includes:

• NEW Story campaign
• NEW Side missions featuring Torvin
• NEW Human Mercenaries and Bodyguards
• NEW Region of Mordor - The Desert of Lithlad
• NEW Beasts: Were-wyrms

Play as Baranor, the Captain of the Tower from Minas Ithil, and travel deep behind enemy lines in the Eastern Deserts of Mordor and raise an Easterling Army to open a new front in the Shadow War. Rendezvous with Torvin, the epic Dwarven Hunter who traveled deep into the Desolation of Mordor pursuing the legendary Were-wyrms.

Baranor is an exceptional Commander with new Skills and Abilities to lead his men into battle against the Orc forces.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Playing as nigger in LOTR. What is the point... There is no bikes to steal.
I would prefer playing as ugly ork or dirty goblin.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom