Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Is a legit Lord of the Rings game too much to ask for? Imagine having a party of companions and roaming Middle Earth. How beautiful the land could be today you could go to the Misty Mountains or visit the elves of Mirkwood. Nope just gonna wander around the most lifeless and desolate place on the continent because it's just easier. Wake up guys

DeepOcean

Arcane
Is a legit Lord of the Rings game too much to ask for? Imagine having a party of companions and roaming Middle Earth. How beautiful the land could be today you could go to the Misty Mountains or visit the elves of Mirkwood. Nope just gonna wander around the most lifeless and desolate place on the continent because it's just easier. Wake up guys
Copy pasted elves and humans would be more noticeable.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Comment from youtube:
"I mean, there's Sauron, Nazgul, a Balrog, an enormous army of Orcs, Fellbeasts, a new ring of power , an all out war, yet half of the comments are about a characters skin colour. Fuck this planet!"

Do you guys still have any hope left?:lol:

I think it's pretty obvious that Tallion will turn evil. For whatever the first game got wrong when it came to the actual lore, the core theme of the story was still "power corrupts", which was more or less Tolkien's whole point. So this one, or a sequel if they decide to drag it on that long, will likely end with the main character and his ghost buddy turning evil and either fading into the background to serve some unimportant role during the actual War of the Ring, or they'll get straight-up killed. Either way.

All that to say: hopes for this game will primarily revolve around potential improvements to the Nemesis system, which is an insanely cool (but ultimately undercooked) idea wrapped up in a serviceable Batman: Arkham City/Assassin's Creed clone. Hopefully they'll do a better job with the difficulty curve, as well, as upgrades eventually ruined whatever hope the original game had for challenging encounters. Improvements to those two areas could actually make Shadow of War something seriously special but time will tell.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think it's pretty obvious that Tallion will turn evil. For whatever the first game got wrong when it came to the actual lore, the core theme of the story was still "power corrupts", which was more or less Tolkien's whole point. So this one, or a sequel if they decide to drag it on that long, will likely end with the main character and his ghost buddy turning evil and either fading into the background to serve some unimportant role during the actual War of the Ring, or they'll get straight-up killed. Either way.
Ehhhhh. Monolith did not blow me away last time with any thoughtful examination of the dynamics of power, and remember that fucking Warner Brothers is still the publisher here. The Hollywood ending to this sequel may be tinged with angst, but it will be a Hollywood ending.

All that to say: hopes for this game will primarily revolve around potential improvements to the Nemesis system, which is an insanely cool (but ultimately undercooked) idea wrapped up in a serviceable Batman: Arkham City/Assassin's Creed clone. Hopefully they'll do a better job with the difficulty curve, as well, as upgrades eventually ruined whatever hope the original game had for challenging encounters. Improvements to those two areas could actually make Shadow of War something seriously special but time will tell.
Now this I completely agree with.

Last edited:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Mordor again? What the fuck? Did they only pay to use a small part of the Tolkien licence or something?
IIRC, J.R.R. Tolkien sold the film and merchandising rights to The Lord of the Rings Books and The Hobbit way back in 1969, and they are currently owned by Middle Earth Enterprises. He never had a chance to sell off The Silmarillion since he died before finishing it. The book rights (which include works like The Silmarillion and The Children of Hurin) are still owned by the Tolkien Estate. If you'd ever want content from both the LoTR films and the Silmarillion (for brand recognition and expanded lore respectively), you'd effectively double the cost and paperwork trying to get the rights in order.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also - as excited as I am to play this game again with expanded Nemesis content - $99.99 for the day one DLC version? I pride myself on not pirating games any more, but ..... fuuuuck you.

Zombra

Patron
Well - not in this series. The whole point of the Nemesis system is roaming around fighting armies and armies and armies of uruks. Where should the game be set? The Shire?

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Well - not in this series. The whole point of the Nemesis system is roaming around fighting armies and armies and armies of uruks. Where should the game be set? The Shire?

All of Middle Earth not just the Shire silly. These are my ideas by the way so please site this post if you want to spread the word.

Zombra

Patron
All of Middle Earth not just the Shire silly. These are my ideas by the way so please site this post if you want to spread the word.
The first guy in the world to come up with the idea of a game set in Middle Earth? Hey that is smart! You'll make millions! I'd get to the copyright office first thing in the morning if I was you.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I admit that if they expand the Nemesis system and maybe do some mechanics of the Overlord games with you giving simple orders for the orks, I could have some entertainment conquering evil fortresses on a popamole Mount and Blade fashion but skipping every single cutscene on this game will be a necessity. This way you could imagine the story is actually good.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I think there's a decent chance this will downplay the nemesis system or at least keep it pretty much as it was in the first game, and play up stuff like fighting a balrog. It will suck if that's the case, but hopefully they're smart enough to realize the nemesis stuff is the only reason to play the game.

Barbarian

Arcane
At about 1:35 of the announcement trailer:

5d33fa735be7432dbd76d60f4fb684c6.png

"WE WUZ RANGERS N' SHIET". MC Diversity indahouse.

Maybe they took the term "Black Numenorean" literally.

Ultimate diversity enrichmentation challenge: sticking up a black dude as a hero in middle-earth.

Funny thing is they will fail anyway they try :lol: . Tolkien was pretty clear on the ethnicity of the peoples presented in his books and the idea of a black guy leading troops in Gondor(I take that is what the trailer is representing?) is just nonsensical. If they really must try they could depict a southron deserter or something like that, but it would still be retarded.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Steam Page is up:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/356190/

System Requirements are already released:

System Requirements

• Minimum:
    • Processor: Intel i5- 2550K, 3.4 GHz
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: GeForce 670 | Radeon HD 7950
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 60 GB available space

• Recommended:
    • Processor: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: GeForce 970 or GeForce 1060 | Radeon R9 290X or Radeon RX 480
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 60 GB available space
That memory...

typical user

Arbiter
Wasn't Tallion branded by Sauron himself at the end? He had same stare as Black Hand plus Sauron separated him from Celebrimbor. Why would he be good? Maybe he will lead Mordor into war with Middle-earth?

flyingjohn

Arcane
The original was a worse version of the generic modern open world formula(less content them most open world games) with the nemesis system directly being countered by the horrible awesome button combat.
So i fully expect this one to have more awesome button combat and less nemesis stuff if it wants to sell.

Zombra

Patron
So i fully expect this one to have more awesome button combat and less nemesis stuff if it wants to sell.
0% of reviews I saw said the combat needed to be dumber. 100% of reviews I saw said the Nemesis System was good and should be expanded. Even dumb console kids who want awesome button combat aren't going to not buy it just because what's good about it is made better.

Of course, WB may still fuck it up. All the DLC for the first game completely ignored Nemesis in favor of more cutscenes despite everything in the reviews. But if they do, that won't make it sell better.

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
0% of reviews I saw said the combat needed to be dumber. 100% of reviews I saw said the Nemesis System was good and should be expanded. Even dumb console kids who want awesome button combat aren't going to not buy it just because what's good about it is made better.

Of course, WB may still fuck it up. All the DLC for the first game completely ignored Nemesis in favor of more cutscenes despite everything in the reviews. But if they do, that won't make it sell better.
Publishers don't give a rat's ass about reviews or what the people who bought the original game liked.They have a spreadsheet with features that sell and that is what they want from the game devs.
Modern console games have it even worse considering they need to sell even more then the previous gen which means even more dumbing down.
The nemesis system leads to players dying == bad experience for players therefore it will be neutered.
The only reason the nemesis system was in the first game because WB didn't care about the game whatsoever.(the game was originally meant to be a an batman arkham game and after that they should shoehorned a lotr setting on top of what they had)
And i don't see how people can like this game combat and not like any other AAA game combat system(assassin creed,batman,etc)it is the same thing with a more gory focus.
And by the same thing i mean literally no need to balance movement or to be careful in combat.Large focus on animations,awesome button instead of having strategies you have to utilize and usually a single counter/dodge button which can be activated regardless of your positioning.
Ironically even if the nemesis system could be utilized fully it would be useless because there isn't any depth to the combat system to balance having tougher enemies requiring different strategies.
If you enjoy those types of games good for you but they are still mediocre games.(bad was the wrong word to describe them,they are functioning but boring)

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
Publishers don't give a rat's ass about reviews or what the people who bought the original game liked.They have a spreadsheet with features that sell and that is what they want from the game devs.
Modern console games have it even worse considering they need to sell even more then the previous gen which means even more dumbing down.
The nemesis system leads to players dying == bad experience for players therefore it will be neutered.
The only reason the nemesis system was in the first game because WB didn't care about the game whatsoever.(the game was originally meant to be a an batman arkham game and after that they should shoehorned a lotr setting on top of what they had)
And i don't see how people can like this game combat and not like any other AAA game combat system(assassin creed,batman,etc)it is the same thing with a more gory focus.
And by the same thing i mean literally no need to balance movement or to be careful in combat.Large focus on animations,awesome button instead of having strategies you have to utilize and usually a single counter/dodge button which can be activated regardless of your positioning.
Ironically even if the nemesis system could be utilized fully it would be useless because there isn't any depth to the combat system to balance having tougher enemies requiring different strategies.
If you enjoy those types of games good for you but they are still mediocre games.(bad was the wrong word to describe them,they are functioning but boring)
this is almost completely untrue

Ebonsword

Arcane
Put me in the camp that will buy this at full-price if they actually make the Nemesis system the focus of the game this time.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Highlander-game (with Christopher Lambert of course!) made with nemesis system could work, the combat system would have to be obviously lot better though.

Barbarian

Arcane
Highlander-game (with Christopher Lambert of course!) made with nemesis system could work, the combat system would have to be obviously lot better though.

They are never going to make it. Maybe only after the shitty remake they have planned(which seems to be in development limbo).

By "they" I mean hollyweird joos who love to take a shit at anything remotely good, even somewhat trashy but entertaining b-movies such as highlander.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom