Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Naraya

Arcane

Snozgobler

Educated
Whatever you do (legally anyway) the game will always use Uplay, (it doesn't matter if you buy it through Steam, Origin or the Humble Bundle) so saying "It's on Uplay" means you're not going to play it?

I'm not judging, but personally I've had fewer issues with Uplay than I have with Steam (Which is something like 1 vs 2, but neither one has caused me any real inconvenience).

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Whatever you do (legally anyway) the game will always use Uplay, (it doesn't matter if you buy it through Steam, Origin or the Humble Bundle) so saying "It's on Uplay" means you're not going to play it?

I'm not judging, but personally I've had fewer issues with Uplay than I have with Steam (Which is something like 1 vs 2, but neither one has caused me any real inconvenience).

I get where you are coming from, and everything might be totally fine in the long run...but deep...in the back in my mind...I remember the Sony Root Kit.

Zep--

Zeriel

Arcane
If you really hate Uplay that much, just play the High Seas version and pay them if you like it.

imweasel

I was thinking about buying it, but they are all Uplay keys. Fuck Uplay.

Naraya

Arcane
I was thinking about buying it, but they are all Uplay keys. Fuck Uplay.
FYI, at least HoMM2 GOLD and MM1-6 are launched using a simple DOSBOX wrapper, no need to use Uplay at all after you download and install them (and tinker a bit with shortcuts).
In fact, I uninistalled Uplay as soon as I downloaded the pack.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Why would anyone sane even consider buying them on uplay, GOG has the superior versions

Naraya

Arcane
Don't get me wrong, I'll get them on GOG all right. I just wanted to make sure they'd work on modern systems and 1$ is just a kg of potatoes.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Finally grabbed this during a sale. Did they make any changes to the difficulty levels since release? The codex review makes Warrior sound rather tedious (HP bloat, high enemy block chance, etc.).

Dorateen

Arcane
But then Adventurer mode might seem too easy. I guess it depends on your play style and preferences, but I would say go with Warrior, and consider the long fights and tougher enemies as a challenge to be surmounted. The only change I can recall is an update that made bows more effective.

Definitely don't play on Adventurer unless you are a brain dead moron. I tried it for a little bit (almost to the end of Act 1) after beating the game on Warrior, and every single fight was winnable by just casting regen and spamming basic attacks from all members. Warrior on the other hand was a lot of fun, and the first time I've ever found myself planning a few turns ahead/prioritizing enemies in a MM game. Unfortunately the game does still become a cakewalk by the endgame, but up until about level 20 or so there are still encounters that will wreck your whole party without proper preparation.

Edit: On enemy block chance: Yes some enemies have a very high chance to block, but there are a slew of abilities that negate it. Anyone complaining about it needs to git gud.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Adventurer seemed fine when I played it back at release

The game doesn't have enough depth for higher difficulty to be interesting. I looked at the exact list of what warrior mode changed and it didn't seem worth the extra pain

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I played on Warrior and it went alright. Would've been much easier resource-wise on Adventurer, especially in the early-mid game, I'd imagine.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The codex review makes Warrior sound rather tedious (HP bloat, high enemy block chance, etc.).
HP bloat and high block are there even on adventurer, I was complaining about them in specific fights because they don't add any difficulty, they just make otherwise boring fights longer, and therefore even more boring.

Warrior is fun in the beginning, the higher cost of everything makes gold much more precious. By mid-game it won't really matter which difficulty you're playing because you'll be swimming in gold anyway.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
IIRC what has the most impact in difficulty are your class choices. Like non-spellcaster ranged units being p. lame and the elf bladedancer being OP

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Any dual-wielding grandmaster will be OP. My Ranger grandmastered Daggers and dual-wielded two non-relics with Stun chance, and he not only was doing the most damage by far, he was also trivializing a lot of fights by stunlocking the opponents. The biggest problem with the itemization is just how powerful some pre/suffixes are compared to others. The large number of attacks also means the dual-wielder will eat through the enemy's blocks and still inflict a ton of a damage, in a way that's much more efficient than trying to use the block-skipping special attacks.

Ultimately though it's still Might and Magic, even gimped parties will do fine (though I don't recommend Warrior with a gimped party on a first run, be familiar with the game first, especially with the way it gates trainers behind main quest checkpoints)

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Good thing I have a bladedancer and two casters then. Performance in the overworld areas is still utter shit, dungeons/towns run fine. Unity be praised.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Performance in the overworld areas is still utter shit, dungeons/towns run fine. Unity be praised.
This game would probably benefit from getting a demake into MM1-6 pixel art so the game doesn't run like shit.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
This game would probably benefit from getting a demake into MM1-6 pixel art so the game doesn't run like shit.
The game does feature a pixelated "retro mode", as seen here, but I'm not sure by how much does it improve performance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom