Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mobile gaming?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well, I finally updated from an ancient model phone to a merely antique one. This suddenly opening up an avenue I haven't really checked before. That being mobile gaming. Before you all start to lol and announce it all is shit I would like to say that I've tried Sorcery and came back impressed. Out There seems like an interesting take on a roguelike sf game and FTL. And 9th Dawn reminds me of the early Ultimas and Avernum. Tales of Illyria seems like an interesting series of side scrolling rpg's. I remember it having a thread here with people actually being impressed. Warhammer Quest seems cool, but is unfortunately not available for Android. Speaking of Avernum, there are also a number of old classics like Avernum and Baldur's Gate that have been ported to Android.

All in all, I'm interested. So, what games are there that you would deem worth a try?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Eh, if you're looking for somewhat worthwhile gaming with your phone, and not some simple time wasters while you take a dump, you can get infinitely more from emulation. SCUMMVM, DOS, PSX, SNES, PSP and even DS emulation works pretty good in android, and RPGs, s-rpgs, adventure games and strategy games are pretty easy to play on a phone. Unless of course you have an iphone, in which case you're fucked.

Morkar Left

The problem is that next to no game exists that would be a match for an existing pc game (classics, roguelikes, new games). Complexity is bad for mobile games because of controls, small screen size and usually short playtimes.
In the end it all comes down to if you really need a mobile game device because you're driving for hours with a bus or something and you desperately need to pass some time.

In general I would recommend some CYOA bookgames for android.
Other recommedations:
Cyber Knights (it's like turnbased Shadowrun for the Genesis console)
and basically all games from Cory Trese (like Star Trader etc.)

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Depends how much time you invest in it. I have Note 3 and I game about 10 minutes a day on it. Rayman Fiesta Run is a fun one. Time Surfer too.
There are alot of "cowclickers" like Clash of Clans if you like to spend hours playing on the phone. Oh, and avoid free games for the most part on Android. Some of them have ad overload, like 5-6 ads for just opening and closing said app.

Morkar Left

Any in particular you can recommend? So far I've been toying around with Sorcery! and Starship Traveller and like them lots.

Only played the Choice of ... adventures which are nice (Broadsides etc.) and Zombie Exodus. I have Mobile Armored Marine and Treasure Seekers (looks like some Mass Effect crew banter with some Farscape in it, could turn out shit or good, I only read the beginning...) on the phone but not the right opportunity / time to read them.
Your Sorcery recommendation sounds pretty good and is probably one of the most ambitious out there.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.

Any in particular you can recommend? So far I've been toying around with Sorcery! and Starship Traveller and like them lots.

Only played the Choice of ... adventures which are nice (Broadsides etc.) and Zombie Exodus. I have Mobile Armored Marine and Treasure Seekers (looks like some Mass Effect crew banter with some Farscape in it, could turn out shit or good, I only read the beginning...) on the phone but not the right opportunity / time to read them.
Your Sorcery recommendation sounds pretty good and is probably one of the most ambitious out there.

Thanks. Played most of those Choice of... adventures on the pc but they do fit perfectly for my antique phone.

In other news, both Sorcery! and Out There are fun games no matter what platform they're on. Sorcery! is by far the most ambitious COYA or Fighting Fantasy I've seen yet. Lots of options, paths and things to do and see. Very fun game. Magic system is nice but what spells can or cannot be used in a specific encounter is kinda iffy. It can also end rather quickly, though the sheer amount of content is astonishing.

Out There in the meantime is surprisingly fun. It succeeds at the whole atmospheric artsy fartsy thing and brings a simplistic but effective struggle for survival into it. An A for the whole easy to learn, hard to beat thing.

Not disappointed so far. Then again, I got a distinct feeling I already tried everything worthwhile now.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
You'd think it would work out, after all he modern phone is like having a Pentium III in your pocket.

Some games work, so-so. Most don't. I find that most any app on an Android wants to take control of your contact list, location, monitor your phone calls and more. Not worth it to me.

If that's worth running a cheesey game to you, you'll find a few that aren't bad but it takes awhile to sift through the shit. I find I still read a book while taking a dump in the can instead of playing games on my phone.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Fuck the Galaxy S2. I rediscovered my old DS yesterday. It won't read the DS game cards, but GBA cartridges still work. The only one I can find is Yoshi's Island, which is fun at first but way too easy.

I might look for some Mario platformers and other games. Recommendations?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Yeah, that one looks awesome. Doesn't work on my own phone but tried it on a buddies and it seems like a genuinely good rpg.

Been playing a bit of Hoplite. Fun little roguelike/strategy mix. Gun Dogs is a CYOA that's also pretty neat. Very nice art that reminds me lots and lots of the earliest Warhammer 40K art.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Boy_Advance

Mario VS Donkey Kong has short stages, perfect for mobile.

The list (and others on the wiki) also goes for people playing on phones/tablets, but due to shitty touch controls it's best to keep to the turn-based titles.
Maybe it's me but I always prefered Wario and Kirby games over Mario series.
Best GBA platformer is probably Wario Land.
Thanks. I had a GBA and then a DS for the longest time, but I didn't actually own many games. I had a bit of Mario stuff and then a bunch of shovelware, like one racing game for GBA, or The Sims 2 for DS, which is probably the world's most compact skinner box.

I'll check out those Wario and such games as well. I also think somebody once recommended Final Fantasy Tactics Advance to me, so I'll check that out too.

Did anyone try Hardboiled? A wonderful Fallout inspired game. It has tuned based combat, reputation system, loot and limb shot.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Tom Selleck

Arcane
King of Dragon Pass is the best game of ever, and it doesn't really suffer on phone or handheld or tablet or mobile or portable or cellular device. IN FACT it's got some added shit, or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom