Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mobile rpgs

Expon

Scholar
Demon's rise
Demon's Rise - Temple of Shadows' Will Add Weather Effects and Night/Day Battles to the Recipe
29968561893_14866dbd23_z.jpg
29968561413_e2b6641390_z.jpg

skyst

Augur
I kind of hate myself for enjoying it, but Final Fantasy Brave Exvius has been keeping me entertained at work or on the shitter lately. It has the typical model of limited play without buying energy in the cash shop and requires some investment of time before the fights start to get interesting or at all challenging. Building a party of up to 5 characters (plus 1 guest from a friend) from among fairly faithfully recreated characters from every FF title is fun for the nostalgia alone. I understand that Final Fantasy Record Keeper was similar in that regard, but I never played it.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The Quest > everything. I tried so many and they all suck. Mobile games are either slick but have no content because they spent all their $50 budget on looking slick. Or they have some content but look and play like shit. Even The Quest isn't that great because the combat is too simple and too exploitable, but at least it resembles a real RPG and it entertained me enough to complete it which is kinda miraculous. I played one for iPhone that was like an Eye of the Beholder type blob game which was ok, but it was short and unmemorable. So much so that I can't even remember the name of it.

There is a game called Mage and Minions which I really like. It is like a Diablo ish actiony game, but it is surprisingly good. You draw shapes on your screen for different spells and auto attacks just by clicking. It may get boring and repetitive quickly but I only ever play it when I'm shitting so I've played 2 minutes most days for a month which still only totals up to about an hour. The real test is going on a long trip or something and only having the phone to play games. In those cases I just rely on The Quest.

PS. Not an RPG but Squids is an awesome game and everyone should try it. Don't assume it is a dumb kids game because of the name and graphics, it is actually good.

PS. Anyone with sense has abandoned iPhone and got a good Android, and if that is you, there are lots of great classic games you can play in Dosbox on Android, or even Scummvm for Android. I have tried some and they work. I played Lands of Lore and Eye of the Beholder on my phone and it was sort of playable. The only issue the control method, which is a big fucking issue to be fair. If you get irate like me then it makes them unplayable, but chilled people could probably play the games just fine like that. You make it so that there is a cursor wherever you press on the screen, so you can click on the move buttons and stuff by just tapping. And you use 2 fingers to act as a right click. I can't handle it but the fact that those games work so well on a phone still blows my mind. If I really cared I would buy a wireless mouse or something because you can get ones that work with android phones. But really if I cared so much about playing old RPGs while I was on a long trip, I would just take a laptop.

Last edited:

ntonystinson

Scholar
Been playing Tales of Illyria Destinies and its been good so far. Any one know of others like it? I heard the first two are linear so not really interested in that. I like the travel system, the reputation system for different kingdoms and the towns/Villages menu system. So something of that manner

Expon

Scholar
Demon's Rise 1 or 2 or none?
If you like turn based strategy rpgs with good combat then id say start with thr first one before movibg to the second, the dev actually interacts woth the community to improve his games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom