Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mods That Made You Buy the Game

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As the title suggests, use this thread to recommend mods that are so good, you would buy the game to play them.

X3 Albion Prelude > X3: Albion Prelude Star Wars Mod
https://www.moddb.com/mods/mikhail-skatchkov/downloads/x3ap-star-wars-mod-106-alpha-core-repack

This guy deserves a medal, its got everything from the X3 game, with just about every Star Wars ship - and sounds - included. I've got a 3.2GHZ x8 core processor, 12 GBDDR3 Ram, 1GB video card, and it struggled a bit once I had a complex with over 50 stations, but otherwise in beta but perfectly playable. A few ships cause the game to stutter, but getting your first Star Destroyer and outfitting it is a sense of accomplishment I haven't felt since the early Mech games.

Medievial 2: Total War > Call of Warhammer Beginning of the End Times
https://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-warhammer-beginning-of-the-end-times

All the main factions and then some, last time I checked they were going to start to implement hero units. Am waiting for Total War: Warhammer 1,2 to go on sale, but this mod is like a combination of Chaos March and some of the elements of the first Dawn of War.

Normally I don't like mods. I installed a graphical update for Severence: Blade of Darkness and it fried my video card, assuming the card was old, I installed another; only for it to fry that one too. So hopefully people can just recommend the stuff that actually works, and classified as a 10/10 experience.

grimace

Arcane
The best thing about Star Wars (New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi) were the ship and vehicular design.

How does the X3AP Star Wars Mod 1.0.6 Alpha (Core Repack) hold up in 2018?

I've purchased Deus Ex multiple times because GMDX = incline!

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
The best thing about Star Wars (New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi) were the ship and vehicular design.

How does the X3AP Star Wars Mod 1.0.6 Alpha (Core Repack) hold up in 2018?

I've purchased Deus Ex multiple times because GMDX = incline!

It looks real to me. Its really that good even on an amd5870. The guy might actually be a be a bit insane - like if you asked him how many ships are in the mod, and he goes full Gary Oldman from Leon and replies: "E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E!".

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've got nothing.

30+ years of gaming, with quite a bit of purchases made through the years, and not once did I purchase a game because of a good mod for it.

The closest I have is this: I purchased a budget release of Jagged Alliance 2 Gold back in the day because I had heard that the 1.13 patch was that good.

The irony is, that I still haven't sat down to play JA2... but at least I have something to look forward to.

deuxhero

Arcane
Are we counting games so buggy nobody would touch them without fan patches?

https://www.moddb.com/mods/mikhail-skatchkov/downloads/x3ap-star-wars-mod-106-alpha-core-repack

This guy deserves a medal, its got everything from the X3 game, with just about every Star Wars ship - and sounds - included. I've got a 3.2GHZ x8 core processor, 12 GBDDR3 Ram, 1GB video card, and it struggled a bit once I had a complex with over 50 stations, but otherwise in beta but perfectly playable. A few ships cause the game to stutter, but getting your first Star Destroyer and outfitting it is a sense of accomplishment I haven't felt since the early Mech games.

Looked interesting, then I saw it was infested with Disney's Soy Wars.

Last edited:

Destroid

Arcane
Europa Universalis 3 for Magna Mundi. I've actually never played vanilla. I purchased HL2 because HL1 had so many fantastic mods but was it was years before some good mods came out like Dystopia and Neotokyo. Tribes 2 disappointed in the same way, although the mods were a sideshow here.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Darkest Hour - A Heart of Iron game for some Fallout mod, played few hours and dropped.
Endereal - bought Skyrim. Played maybe hour, did not liked the tone and dropped.
And yes, X-Piratez (or OpenXCom) gave me a kick to buy GOG version because I lost my original decade or two ago...
Same with 1.13 for JA2 (got full version from gaming magazine but it crashed like madman on Win7).

Some middle territory aka patches+tweaks/mods:
Brigade E5 (Immortal Badass) and 7,62 High Calibre (Blue Sun), I don't mind clunckyness and some bugs but holy geezus it was worse without them.

And of course - Wesp5' work for VtM Bloodlines. For some reason Steam version was still borking up (with patch) but GOG runs flawlessly. Weird.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Over Flanders Fields -> Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3

Freespace 2 -> Wing Commander Saga (actually you don't need to own Freespace 2 to play the mod)

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
I bought Doom 3 to play The Dark Mod. I even played through the base game once, but never looked back on it. Ever since TDM has gone standalone, my DVD has been collecting dust.

I also bought Dungeon Siege to play Ultima V: Lazarus. In the end, DS was one of the most soulless RPGs I attempted to play, and it contaminated my enjoyment of Lazarus so much I didn't play too much of that one either. :despair:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I also bought Dungeon Siege to play Ultima V: Lazarus. In the end, DS was one of the most soulless RPGs I attempted to play, and it contaminated my enjoyment of Lazarus so much I didn't play too much of that one either.

That reminds me, I got myself a copy of Dungeon Siege for that exact same purpose.

Except I didn't buy it - it was given to me by a friend.

I still haven't gotten around to playing Lazarus, though.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
DOW Dark Crusade: Titanium Wars.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/titanium-wars-mod

I assumed this would be 100's of units spamming the battlefield, gazillion HP units and 1-shot kill Imperial Titan units. But have just started this with a necron campaign and its so good it could actually be considered an official expansion. I can't tell the difference between the new units and original. So far its also a challenge - the AI has been updated - a level 3 map against Chaos will waste no time getting a relic and sending land raiders against you, and will actually defend its base with turrets now. The modder has included new hero units with (apparently) wargear - which leads me to something I fucking hate about all modders in general; why the fuck do these guys spend years making mods, and then rush out some verbal diarrhea of a readme that doesn't explain how their mod works?. :argh:
So I'm still fiddling with that, but apparently its in.

He also did one for Soulstorm, but it got banned from Moddb because of some asset shenanigans with Tyranids from another mod, but can still be downloaded elsewhere and accessed with a russian password - have yet to look into it, theres a Youtube video. Don't blame me if 'the Russians' interfere with your PC.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Are we counting games so buggy nobody would touch them without fan patches?

Looked interesting, then I saw it was infested with Disney's Soy Wars.

Being a bit of a dick here - but didn't watch the new films past Force Awakens, so there isn't sufficient soy present in my system to effect my enjoyment of the mod. Most of the ships are from the original fimls though, I think he said that was his vision. But all of the ships from the classic Lucasarts games are in there; the ones from the Jedi Knight games and so on. He even got the Ebon Hawk in - well you buy the stock version, the actual Ebon Hawk (unless someone beats me to it) I was going to fund from his Indigogog fundraiser - where you can actually get the modder to create the ship to specifications.

Master

Arbiter
Thread doesnt really make sense. Unless the mod changes the cover or adds something in the box. Dont know of any mod that does that unless you consider JA2 Wildfire as a mod.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom