Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Monster Hunter Tri is fucking awesome.

Felix

Arcane
Story is......lol, what story?

Enter the world Monster Hunter, Kill monsters make weapons and armors,
Kill even more monsters and make more weapons and armors.
Not done yet, keep killing monsters and keep making weapons and armors.

But I can't stop playing, just one.... more.....material....

:M

Monster Hunter series is really fun. It's all grinding and shit, but the combat system is really nice, the monster design/variety is top notch, and the game is fucking tough.

:thumbsup:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Only part I dislike is that the monsters are all designed around multiplayer, and single player just changes their stats. So when you're all alone they can do bullshit like charge into you, then keep charging you just as you get up so it's impossible to dodge until you die. Especially when they're in rage mode, so it encourages running the fuck away like a pussy while the monsters are pissed off, dragging what should be a ten minute battle into a 25 minute one.

Otherwise though, MH is so much awesome. There need to be more games like it. Skill based multiplayer action vs decent computer opponents is quite rare.

Felix

Arcane
I like how you can send people flying or trip them over by accident lol

laclongquan

Arcane
DamnedRegistrations said:
Only part I dislike is that the monsters are all designed around multiplayer, and single player just changes their stats. So when you're all alone they can do bullshit like charge into you, then keep charging you just as you get up so it's impossible to dodge until you die. Especially when they're in rage mode, so it encourages running the fuck away like a pussy while the monsters are pissed off, dragging what should be a ten minute battle into a 25 minute one.

Otherwise though, MH is so much awesome. There need to be more games like it. Skill based multiplayer action vs decent computer opponents is quite rare.

I approve! Now that is what hunting is all about.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Sadly, I got bored with the game long before I got a chance to fight even half the boss monsters. I wasn't too fond of the fact that mostly all the weapons made you walk at a snails pace. I like to have LOTS of mobility, and only the SnS combo offered me that mobility.

Damned Registrations

The longswords also let you run and roll. So do dual swords. (Though they took these out for whatever retarded reason) Hammers let you run but no roll, as do the new switch axes I believe.
Only great swords and lances really fuck up your mobility, and that's because they can block damned near anything and are perfect for smashing things in the face, which tends to be the weakest part of any monster.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I played for a couple of hours. Some of the bosses were okay, but overall it felt like Aspergers: The Game. I keep meaning to try it again, but I can just never be bothered somehow.

I also liked the way they excitedly told you that you could harvest the same resource multiple times. Thanks, guys, it's not like the gathering animation is annoying once never mind five times

Damned Registrations

There's equipment you can use to speed up the gathering animation (And increase the likeliehood of being able to gather 5 times instead of 2). It'd be fairly retarded if you just walked around and had minerals and shit fly into your pack without having to fight a damned thing. Making gathering take time and having limited pack space makes you prioritize which areas you'll bother gathering from. I usually only bother with the richest 2 or 3 mining spots in the entire area, and only if they're near whatever I'm hunting is. Aside from all that, there's shit you can mine that you can only carry one of, so if you could only mine that spot once, it'd require having more nodes available, which would be retarded, giving you more animations AND making you walk between them.

The thing is, as long as your weapon isn't total shit (Like 2 sharpness colors below what it could be) there's no excuse for not plowing ahead and fighting more badass monsters and areas with better loot besides your own lack of skill. The option to mine a rock or kill the same thing 500 times is there for people who like that sort of thing or just plain suck at fighting. It's not at all mandatory.

Mortmal

Arcane
If you really like mobility the only weapon is sword and shield, but i think the hammer and katana offer sufficient mobility to be worth it. Really a fun game; and extremely addictive, you just cant top to find armor and weapon upgrades, i wish we could have the same again with more free roaming and bigger areas.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
DamnedRegistrations said:
The longswords also let you run and roll. So do dual swords. (Though they took these out for whatever retarded reason) Hammers let you run but no roll, as do the new switch axes I believe.
Only great swords and lances really fuck up your mobility, and that's because they can block damned near anything and are perfect for smashing things in the face, which tends to be the weakest part of any monster.

I think I just got to the part where I could farm mats for a longsword. We'll see if I'll ever be assed to go out and get the mats to craft one and see if it's any better. The hammer and Switch Axe are still crap when it comes to mobility, and I'm not too fond of them as weapons anyway. I was always more of a Lincer or Halberdier, and I can't say I enjoyed the lance in Tri that much. Well, it was my favorite weapon right after SnS, but that had more to do with the principle of it being a lance than with the actual mechanics that came with the package.

Welp, I'll give Monster Hunter another look when the weapons stop being such overweight pieces of shit that force me to walk at a snails pace, and I'll continue to enjoy Demon's Souls until then.

Felix

Arcane
I found Switch Axe(Axe form) and long sword is adequate enough. After a white, I can dodge almost anything with them, only Great Sword and Sword Form and Heavy Bowgun truly make you walk at snail pace but they deal the most damage so.....also sheath you weapons.

Nomnoming through a smoked meat poutine right abou
Tri is for the Wii. The PSP versions are labeled Monster Hunter Freedom where the original Monster Hunter games where for PS2.

Oddly enough everyone thought the PS2 games sucked or so I've heard, but the PSP gets 'OMG AWESOME GAME!' even though it's technically a port... Freedom Unite is still my favourite game at the moment, even though I suck and my 80 hours of gameplay just have me at the 3-4th mission rank.

As for the greatsword, yeah it's a bitch to move around, but so far i've seen the most effective method of using it is to take a couple of swings with it, then put it away so you can run and reposition yourself.

L&P said:
Oddly enough everyone thought the PS2 games sucked or so I've heard, but the PSP gets 'OMG AWESOME GAME!' even though it's technically a port.

I read that the PSP versions are ports of the revamped versions, must be why. I have the original one for PS2, and it's kinda sucky, alright. Long load times, for one.

edit: here it is

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Hunter

Monster Hunter G

An expansion to the PS2 game, Monster Hunter. Includes tons of new content such as sub-species and a Felyne kitchen.

Monster Hunter Freedom/Monster Hunter Portable is a port of Monster Hunter G to the PSP.

and

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Hunter_2

Monster Hunter 2 is the sequel of Monster Hunter. It was only released in Japan because the Monster Hunter series had only a small cult following elsewhere in the world, while being huge in japan. New features include day and night changes, seasons, new monsters, new weapon categories & weapons. The new features now carried over to it's american portable installment & some leftovers of MH2 is carried to MHF2's english expansion.

Felix

Arcane
As for the greatsword, yeah it's a bitch to move around, but so far i've seen the most effective method of using it is to take a couple of swings with it, then put it away so you can run and reposition yourself.

My favourite part when using greatsword is kick the monster when it's sleeping the charged Attack right in the face follow.

Nomnoming through a smoked meat poutine right abou
Well colour me embarrassed... would that be pink or bright red btw?... as I do stand corrected. Could be due to the fact the people I know who played the PS2 release never touched the PSP due to it, where I came to the conclusion that it wasn't liked due to the stuff like limited inventory space, massive learning curve, and lack of auto target for the camera.

Damned Registrations

Felix said:

My favourite part when using greatsword is kick the monster when it's sleeping the charged Attack right in the face follow.

Should probably wake it up with the sharp pointy thing. You do triple damage on sleeping monsters. (Very abusable with bombs.)

I'm tempted to try out the greatswords; apparently there's a method of fighting with them where you make sure your weapon is sufficiently powerful that a perfect fully charged slash will always stagger the monster, and so you only attack that way. Sounds kinda cool.

Felix

Arcane
It's the most damaging weapon type, of course they have to make some drawback to not let you steamroll everything with it duh, also critical draw.

If you want more mobility

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz-c7MB551I

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom