Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Monster Hunter Tri is fucking awesome.

monsterhunter.gif

entertainer

Arbiter
You have no new messages

Check-out Codex Merchandise - Buy stuff from Amazon - Link Converter
T-Shirt Hell | Amazon.com | Amazon.ca | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Fishpond.co.nz
(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)

Donate and get rid
of these pesky ads!

Codex T-Shirts RPG Codex :: Latest News
Legerdemain & other assorted Roguelike Updates
DeathSpank finally coming to PC
On Game Design and Deus Ex: Human Revolution Tacticular Cancer :: Latest News
Shogun 2: Morder Dem
Squad Battles: Red Victory at Armchair General
AGEOD on Pride of Nations
Codex Mugs

Monster Hunter Tri is fucking awesome.
Goto page 1, 2 Next

The Codex Forums -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic
Felix

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 07:20:13 Post subject: Monster Hunter Tri is fucking awesome.

Story is......lol, what story?

Enter the world Monster Hunter, Kill monsters make weapons and armors,
Kill even more monsters and make more weapons and armors.
Not done yet, keep killing monsters and keep making weapons and armors.

But I can't stop playing, just one.... more.....material....

Flying Spaghetti Monster
-

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 08:03:36 Post subject:

Monster Hunter series is really fun. It's all grinding and shit, but the combat system is really nice, the monster design/variety is top notch, and the game is fucking tough.

_________________Dicksmoker wrote:
That's a shame, because Xenogears has the best video game story ever made.

Let's Play Deus Ex! Update Thirteen

DamnedRegistrations

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 08:14:38 Post subject:

Only part I dislike is that the monsters are all designed around multiplayer, and single player just changes their stats. So when you're all alone they can do bullshit like charge into you, then keep charging you just as you get up so it's impossible to dodge until you die. Especially when they're in rage mode, so it encourages running the fuck away like a pussy while the monsters are pissed off, dragging what should be a ten minute battle into a 25 minute one.

Otherwise though, MH is so much awesome. There need to be more games like it. Skill based multiplayer action vs decent computer opponents is quite rare.
_________________Hobbit Lord of Mordor wrote:

You can only fight hate with hate. The difference is that my hate is motivated by love (of God), who for some reason is still ready to love you, but you keep rejecting.

Felix

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 08:24:34 Post subject:

I like how you can send people flying or trip them over by accident lol

laclongquan

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 09:35:20 Post subject:

DamnedRegistrations wrote:
Only part I dislike is that the monsters are all designed around multiplayer, and single player just changes their stats. So when you're all alone they can do bullshit like charge into you, then keep charging you just as you get up so it's impossible to dodge until you die. Especially when they're in rage mode, so it encourages running the fuck away like a pussy while the monsters are pissed off, dragging what should be a ten minute battle into a 25 minute one.

Otherwise though, MH is so much awesome. There need to be more games like it. Skill based multiplayer action vs decent computer opponents is quite rare.

I approve! Now that is what hunting is all about.

Hobo Elf

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 13:52:49 Post subject:

Sadly, I got bored with the game long before I got a chance to fight even half the boss monsters. I wasn't too fond of the fact that mostly all the weapons made you walk at a snails pace. I like to have LOTS of mobility, and only the SnS combo offered me that mobility.

DamnedRegistrations

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 16:53:51 Post subject:

The longswords also let you run and roll. So do dual swords. (Though they took these out for whatever retarded reason) Hammers let you run but no roll, as do the new switch axes I believe.
Only great swords and lances really fuck up your mobility, and that's because they can block damned near anything and are perfect for smashing things in the face, which tends to be the weakest part of any monster.

You can only fight hate with hate. The difference is that my hate is motivated by love (of God), who for some reason is still ready to love you, but you keep rejecting.

POOPOO MCBUMFACE

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 16:58:43 Post subject:

I played for a couple of hours. Some of the bosses were okay, but overall it felt like Aspergers: The Game. I keep meaning to try it again, but I can just never be bothered somehow.

I also liked the way they excitedly told you that you could harvest the same resource multiple times. Thanks, guys, it's not like the gathering animation is annoying once never mind five times
_________________BLOBERT wrote:
BROS FACE IT YOU FAGS ARE MOSTLY NEW SHIT COCKSLAVES

A DECENT INDIE GAMES COMES OUT AND NO ONE GI ES A SHIT OR LOTS OF OLD CLASSICS ARE AROUND THAT NO ONE GIVES A SHIT ABOUT PLAYING BROS

DamnedRegistrations

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 19:51:10 Post subject:

There's equipment you can use to speed up the gathering animation (And increase the likeliehood of being able to gather 5 times instead of 2). It'd be fairly retarded if you just walked around and had minerals and shit fly into your pack without having to fight a damned thing. Making gathering take time and having limited pack space makes you prioritize which areas you'll bother gathering from. I usually only bother with the richest 2 or 3 mining spots in the entire area, and only if they're near whatever I'm hunting is. Aside from all that, there's shit you can mine that you can only carry one of, so if you could only mine that spot once, it'd require having more nodes available, which would be retarded, giving you more animations AND making you walk between them.

The thing is, as long as your weapon isn't total shit (Like 2 sharpness colors below what it could be) there's no excuse for not plowing ahead and fighting more badass monsters and areas with better loot besides your own lack of skill. The option to mine a rock or kill the same thing 500 times is there for people who like that sort of thing or just plain suck at fighting. It's not at all mandatory.

Lavoisier

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 20:55:23 Post subject:

Does this mean you all have a wii?
_________________AndhairaX wrote:
You are easily amused Marcelo. I personally prefer my comedy to be of a more cereberal nature.

chicago_bankroll wrote:
Live every day like it's your last, because someday it will be. Dream. Discover. Explore. Go down the path less traveled. Take only photographs, leave only footprints. Don't be so damn selfish all the time. Call your mother. Smoke some pot, everything will be okay.

Mortmal

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 01:25:17 Post subject:

If you really like mobility the only weapon is sword and shield, but i think the hammer and katana offer sufficient mobility to be worth it. Really a fun game; and extremely addictive, you just cant top to find armor and weapon upgrades, i wish we could have the same again with more free roaming and bigger areas.

Hobo Elf

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 03:03:40 Post subject:

DamnedRegistrations wrote:
The longswords also let you run and roll. So do dual swords. (Though they took these out for whatever retarded reason) Hammers let you run but no roll, as do the new switch axes I believe.
Only great swords and lances really fuck up your mobility, and that's because they can block damned near anything and are perfect for smashing things in the face, which tends to be the weakest part of any monster.

I think I just got to the part where I could farm mats for a longsword. We'll see if I'll ever be assed to go out and get the mats to craft one and see if it's any better. The hammer and Switch Axe are still crap when it comes to mobility, and I'm not too fond of them as weapons anyway. I was always more of a Lincer or Halberdier, and I can't say I enjoyed the lance in Tri that much. Well, it was my favorite weapon right after SnS, but that had more to do with the principle of it being a lance than with the actual mechanics that came with the package.

Welp, I'll give Monster Hunter another look when the weapons stop being such overweight pieces of shit that force me to walk at a snails pace, and I'll continue to enjoy Demon's Souls until then.

Mangoose
-

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 03:28:06 Post subject:

Waiting for Monster Hunter Frontier.
_________________Zomg wrote:
I dunno, taking an internet girlfriend away from a young nerd is like slapping a spoonful of millet out of an African kid's mouth

Felix

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 04:02:08 Post subject:

I found Switch Axe(Axe form) and long sword is adequate enough. After a white, I can dodge almost anything with them, only Great Sword and Sword Form and Heavy Bowgun truly make you walk at snail pace but they deal the most damage so.....also sheath you weapons.

Last edited by Felix on Sun Jul 11, 2010 07:02:03; edited 1 time in total

Clockwork Knight

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 05:22:38 Post subject:

Lavoisier wrote:
Does this mean you all have a wii?

Isn't the MH series on PSP? I need to get one. But it seems like a bother to learn all the firmware shit, and which ones are hackeable or not.
_________________nomask7 wrote:
If you've ever worked in a kindergarten, you've probably noticed how one child sometimes begins to chant something, such as "all bears are toys, all bears are toys", then other children will join in with him, so that after a while every child in the room is chanting, "all bears are toys, all bears are toys." You might put in, "No they are not. That one in the picture, for example." They would continue, "all bears are toys, all bears are toys."

That really happens, and quite often too. It's also exactly how adults in academia think and behave most of the time.

Longwinded & Pretty

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 05:45:08 Post subject:

Tri is for the Wii. The PSP versions are labeled Monster Hunter Freedom where the original Monster Hunter games where for PS2.

Oddly enough everyone thought the PS2 games sucked or so I've heard, but the PSP gets 'OMG AWESOME GAME!' even though it's technically a port... Freedom Unite is still my favourite game at the moment, even though I suck and my 80 hours of gameplay just have me at the 3-4th mission rank.

As for the greatsword, yeah it's a bitch to move around, but so far i've seen the most effective method of using it is to take a couple of swings with it, then put it away so you can run and reposition yourself.

Clockwork Knight

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 06:35:45 Post subject:

L&P wrote:
Oddly enough everyone thought the PS2 games sucked or so I've heard, but the PSP gets 'OMG AWESOME GAME!' even though it's technically a port.

I read that the PSP versions are ports of the revamped versions, must be why. I have the original one for PS2, and it's kinda sucky, alright. Long load times, for one.

edit: here it is

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Hunter
Quote:
Monster Hunter G

An expansion to the PS2 game, Monster Hunter. Includes tons of new content such as sub-species and a Felyne kitchen.

Monster Hunter Freedom/Monster Hunter Portable is a port of Monster Hunter G to the PSP.

and

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Hunter_2
Quote:
Monster Hunter 2 is the sequel of Monster Hunter. It was only released in Japan because the Monster Hunter series had only a small cult following elsewhere in the world, while being huge in japan. New features include day and night changes, seasons, new monsters, new weapon categories & weapons. The new features now carried over to it's american portable installment & some leftovers of MH2 is carried to MHF2's english expansion.

If you've ever worked in a kindergarten, you've probably noticed how one child sometimes begins to chant something, such as "all bears are toys, all bears are toys", then other children will join in with him, so that after a while every child in the room is chanting, "all bears are toys, all bears are toys." You might put in, "No they are not. That one in the picture, for example." They would continue, "all bears are toys, all bears are toys."

That really happens, and quite often too. It's also exactly how adults in academia think and behave most of the time.

Felix

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 06:42:18 Post subject:

Quote:
As for the greatsword, yeah it's a bitch to move around, but so far i've seen the most effective method of using it is to take a couple of swings with it, then put it away so you can run and reposition yourself.

My favourite part when using greatsword is kick the monster when it's sleeping the charged Attack right in the face follow.

Longwinded & Pretty

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 04:00:28 Post subject:

Well colour me embarrassed... would that be pink or bright red btw?... as I do stand corrected. Could be due to the fact the people I know who played the PS2 release never touched the PSP due to it, where I came to the conclusion that it wasn't liked due to the stuff like limited inventory space, massive learning curve, and lack of auto target for the camera.

DamnedRegistrations

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 05:08:57 Post subject:

Felix wrote:
Quote:

My favourite part when using greatsword is kick the monster when it's sleeping the charged Attack right in the face follow.

Should probably wake it up with the sharp pointy thing. You do triple damage on sleeping monsters. (Very abusable with bombs.)

I'm tempted to try out the greatswords; apparently there's a method of fighting with them where you make sure your weapon is sufficiently powerful that a perfect fully charged slash will always stagger the monster, and so you only attack that way. Sounds kinda cool.

Clockwork Knight

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 05:56:25 Post subject:

relevant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSq0GEqtnJI

Paperclip

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 06:36:48 Post subject:

probably my favorite monster:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqqHCAAxybM

Overweight Manatee

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 06:52:51 Post subject:

Paperclip wrote:
probably my favorite monster:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqqHCAAxybM

God damn being forced to re-sheath your sword to move faster then a snail pisses me off. As is the fact that you have a quicker attack when unsheathing then you do when you attack normally.

Paperclip

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 07:15:19 Post subject:

mobility for firepower, bitches!

probably my favorite MH MAD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-UTR8D1DLk

Felix

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 08:00:52 Post subject:

It's the most damaging weapon type, of course they have to make some drawback to not let you steamroll everything with it duh, also critical draw.

If you want more mobility

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz-c7MB551I

The Codex Forums -> General Gaming All times are GMT + 3 Hours
Goto page 1, 2 Next
Page 1 of 2
Watch this topic for replies Jump to:

Quick Reply:

Quote the last message
Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum

The Codex expects that every man shall do his patriotic duty and give internets.