Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Monster Hunter: World - pre-release thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Early 2018 for consoles, PC at "a later date."

Gameplay Overview

The latest entry in the critically acclaimed 40 million unit selling action RPG series, Monster Hunter: World introduces a living, breathing ecosystem in which players take on the role of a hunter that seeks and slays ferocious beasts in heart-pounding battles. Venture on quests alone or with up to three other hunters in a newly designed online drop-in multiplayer system which allows cross-region cooperative play between Japan and the West, uniting the global player base for the first time ever. Monster Hunter: World will also be the first game in the series with a worldwide simultaneous launch window and is planned for release on PlayStation 4 computer entertainment system and Xbox One in early 2018. A PC release will follow at a later date.

Monster Hunter: World sees players gear up to venture on quests to battle against fearsome monsters, progressively improving their hunting abilities as they play. Loot collected from fallen foes can be used to create new equipment and armor upgrades as players seamlessly move across map areas that comprise the living ecosystems. The landscape and its diverse inhabitants play a critical role as players strategically use the surrounding environment to their advantage. Hunters must use their cunning and abilities to survive the intense and evolving fights as they battle to become the ultimate hunter!

Features
  • Welcome to the new World: Taking on the role of a hunter, players are tasked with going on a research expedition to a newly discovered continent known only as “new world” as they venture on quests to discover more about this mysterious land.
  • Living and breathing ecosystem: Utilize the surrounding environment and wildlife to your advantage. For example, pit monsters against one another to lure the main target creature to the right place, but be careful not to become hindered by the hazards they present.
  • Global simultaneous release: For the first time in the Monster Hunter series the latest title will release within the same launch window and unite hunters across the world with cross-region cooperative play options.
  • Online drop-in multiplayer: When the battle is too daunting to take on single-handedly, hail up to three other hunters to assist during quests by sending up a SOS flare to a worldwide server full of potential teammates.
  • Hunt to craft new gear: Defeat monsters and collect loot from fallen foes to craft equipment and weapons styled after the monsters that have been slain. Selecting the right loadout can help exploit enemy weaknesses to gain an advantage in battle.
  • Master the beasts: A variety of ferocious creatures inhabit the new world landscape including the series mainstay Rathalos and the all new Anjanath. Players can mount the monsters with the dynamic riding mechanic, allowing them to travel along the monster’s body and deliver locational damage.
  • Seamless gameplay: Players and monsters can move from one map area to another freely and without loading screens whilst gameplay also dynamically transitions between night and day.

Last edited:

Mozg

Arcane
Looks Dragon's Dogma-y as hell and therefore good. If you go to a gaming site like Neogaf all the old handheld monster hunter fans are moaning that this looks terrible and "westernized." It's the first time I've been on the benefitting side of a beloved cult series having gameplay broadened/streamlined/dumbed down.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Might get it if it turns out to be good and I can get a few friends to play it with. I liked MH3U and emulated MHFU but I can't be bothered to play the 3DS only games on its tiny low resolution screen.

Vorark

Erudite
Ohoho, that rumour was right. Color me interested.

Edit - Nintendo fanboys are having a meltdown. Even if the game turns out to be some watered down MH x Dragon's Dogma crossover, the drama is priceless.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
finally, the monster hunter game I've wanted and looks like a full open world this time with no segmented loading screen shit. Hopefully, it's 60 fps all around. I don't really give a shit that it doesn't look as colorful as previous Monster Hunters

Anyone that recently played MHX & MH4, how much different gameplay wise does this game look?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
finally, the monster hunter game I've wanted and looks like a full open world this time with no segmented loading screen shit. Hopefully, it's 60 fps all around. I don't really give a shit that it doesn't look as colorful as previous Monster Hunters

Anyone that recently played MHX & MH4, how much different gameplay wise does this game look?
Well, there's swimming; stealth gameplay looks better; There's no loading times between zones; The traps look more intricate and there's more environmental interaction. There appears to be a grappling hook which means there's more verticality in the game. I don't know about the moment to moment gameplay and if it's still soulslike since the trailer didn't depict much of that.

Mozg

Arcane
Every time I've looked at Monster Hunter on video it looked terrible, some guy doing a shitty looking combo with a buster sword at a rainbow lizard monster doing a dance animation which would suddenly break poise and fall down after having absolutely zero reaction to the previous ten swings. Plus I knew it was heavily based on seemingly dull-spergy strategy guide JRPG crafting minutia.

Now I know on an intellectual level that people with seemingly good taste say it's good and interesting so it probably is, but that's my outsider's perspective, and given that I'd have to get a minority console or a fucking handheld to play any of the games made after the mid-2000s AFAIK I never seriously tried to get into it, despite being a fan of many MH-adjacent games.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Every time I've looked at Monster Hunter on video it looked terrible, some guy doing a shitty looking combo with a buster sword at a rainbow lizard monster doing a dance animation which would suddenly break poise and fall down after having absolutely zero reaction to the previous ten swings. Plus I knew it was heavily based on seemingly dull-spergy strategy guide JRPG crafting minutia.

Now I know on an intellectual level that people with seemingly good taste say it's good and interesting so it probably is, but that's my outsider's perspective, and given that I'd have to get a minority console or a fucking handheld to play any of the games made after the mid-2000s AFAIK I never seriously tried to get into it, despite being a fan of many MH-adjacent games.
Well, with the PC release, there's no better time than now to try it out (well, when it comes out).

sullynathan

Arcane

Play one of them through emulation. Stay away from the first MH game though, way too much grinding

Perkel

Arcane
Ok this is what i wanted from MH5. AND IT COMES TO PC BEACHES !!

I always wanted more "HUNT" in monster hunter and this seems to be it.
Obviously amount of content will be small compared to MH4 or Gen but this is start of brand new MH game.
New monsters also look cool as fuck

And for the first fucking time global release instead of waiting one year. PC release will be after consoles from what i hear but still this is huge.

Perkel

Arcane
ALL 14 WEAPONS CONFIRMED.
MH franchize director and TEAM A of MH games is working on this.

This isn't Monster Hunter Online or Z crap.

Perkel

Arcane
Quoting dude from reddit:

For those who think this is a side game its not. It is being developed by the main series team (MH 1, Dos, Tri, and 4). It is the first 5th gen game. Wish I could actually make a thread about this, it's kinda important lol.

To those asking for sources: Famitsu: https://www.famitsu.com/news/201706/13135277.html

Interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W62j4xfq_yQ

The interview confirms it. Capcom's main MH website advertises it as the "Next Monster Hunter Game in the series". You can even look this up on the english version of the website. Also, the fact that they are considering simultaneous release for the first time as a feature, just spells out main series release. That being said, feel free to verify.

Also, for those who don't know, there are only 2 monster hunter development teams creating games under the main series title. The "B" team creates MH Portable and X/XX series, and will likely continue making traditional MH games in this fashion for Nintendo consoles (this is a guess). The "Main" team has made the other, main numbered titles. This is considered a main game, and since the "B" team is focusing on XX Switch Ver. atm, the Main team is the only other dev team working on this. The Frontier and Online teams are totally separate from these two. There is no 5th team, this is basically Monster Hunter 5, created by the Main development team.

Last thing: Capcom CEO Ryuzo Tsujimoto doesn't personally come out for an interview to advertise his baby if it wasn't a main series game (check the youtube link).

Vorark

Erudite
This looks fantastic:
gbrz7Hl.gif

cfp3rhU.gif

I'm liking how the visuals so far are very low key, no jetdragon or retarded animu shit on sight. Please let the gameplay be good and all will be set.

Edit - Sleeping, breaking and GS guard move:

qPelEt9.gif

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
I love especially animation changes. This compared to MH4 is like night and day. Monsters still have some key animation to give player clues when to hit them but overall everything now is fluid and monsters look like they have weight.

I would fucking love to play it in VR. 3DS 3D effect worked amazing for MH but it was constrained by low resolution and shitty screen.

edit:

Stamina, potions, sharpness are all confirmed btw.

Perkel

Arcane
I still wonder how they will deal with armor weapon and all other town stuff.

Maybe it isn't open world but open world ZONES. So you start quest normally in town do shopping crafting etc then you fast travel to starting point of some zone like usuall but from that point zones don't have connectors and are completely open to travel.

Same with gathering materials. If you catch monster what then ?

I still wonder how they will deal with armor weapon and all other town stuff.

Maybe it isn't open world but open world ZONES. So you start quest normally in town do shopping crafting etc then you fast travel to starting point of some zone like usuall but from that point zones don't have connectors and are completely open to travel.

Same with gathering materials. If you catch monster what then ?
That's what I was thinking. But I didn't have enough information to back it up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom