Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Monster Hunter: World - pre-release thread

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Whut, MH is like 75% RPG. Just because there's technically no XP doesn't mean it's seriously different from the RPG power-uppah structure. What do you think, "Use loot to get more loot to get more loot" is about? And the (extremely) different weapons are analogous to classes or builds in an ARPG; instead of committing to them via XP you're doing it by burning your loot to upgrade them.

I dunno man. Monster Hunter is about as much an jRPG as something like Devil May Cry is. Just because you can upgrade your shit to get stronger doesn't make the game an RPG. Capcom themselves classify Monster Hunter as an Action game rather than an RPG.

Mozg

Arcane
I can't remember the specifics of DMC upgrades. Is it like level 1 guns, level 2 guns? I remember retrying that fight with the two headless guys with dual swords in DMC3 for hours. If it were MH I think I'd have tried to make a better sword. I remember the red currency items in DMC3 but not what they buy; could you replay DMC3 levels to grind more loot? If so, yeah, that's a measure of RPG, although a lot less than MH.

MH has dozens of weapons in a given class which are straight up linear upgrades from the previous one. The hammer you have at rank N has quadruple the damage of the one you started with. Plus the quasi-RPG mechanic of chugging consumables you carry in your inventory from a stock you crafted from crap you picked up; I dunno if that's "RPG" but it's definitely not "action". I don't see how the total effect is anything but a variant of rpgness, just minus an XP bar.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I can't remember the specifics of DMC upgrades. Is it like level 1 guns, level 2 guns? I remember retrying that fight with the two headless guys with dual swords in DMC3 for hours. If it were MH I think I'd have tried to make a better sword. I remember the red currency items in DMC3 but not what they buy; could you replay DMC3 levels to grind more loot? If so, yeah, that's a measure of RPG, although a lot less than MH.

You can indeed grind previous levels and bosses for orbs to upgrade your gear, and equipment upgrading is exactly as you remember, level 1 > 2 > 3.

MH has dozens of weapons in a given class which are straight up linear upgrades from the previous one. The hammer you have at rank N has quadruple the damage of the one you started with. Plus the quasi-RPG mechanic of chugging consumables you carry in your inventory from a stock you crafted from crap you picked up; I dunno if that's "RPG" but it's definitely not "action". I don't see how the total effect is anything but a variant of rpgness, just minus an XP bar.

I tend to draw the line between RPGs and non-RPGs within two categories: games where you can overcome a lack of player skill by merely grinding enough and games where no matter how much grinding you do you still won't get anywhere without good enough player skill. Not a perfect system and doesn't apply to all games but for the most part it gets the job done. Even games like Dark Souls can be strong armed with high enough character stats and equipment upgrades whereas in Monster Hunter you can't really brute your way through G Rank. Maybe not even High Rank.

Mozg

Arcane
I'm still on the lowish-end I guess. Carrying stacks of potions and a stack of flashbangs still feels like cheating.

Wonder if they'll have mouse aiming on the ranged weapons in MHW PC.

Perkel

Arcane
Best change so far from news is that monsters when enraged will follow you everywhere.

Big issue with mh for me was that i could wait out rage mode or just move to different map and heal myself, sharpen weapons etc.

I would love to see Tigrex in MHW. Imagine him being non stop in rage mode like usually and following you like madman everywhere (like in all intros and trailes).

MHW seems to be basically what this MH4 opening intro is all about.

Perkel

Arcane
I like that we can now hunt even when there's no mission available

You can do it even now. Just choose gathering quest and after while random big monster asociated with map will spawn.

After you hunt it i think after another while next monster will spawn.

Though there is 45min time limit

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Ye. Only downside to free hunting is that you don't get the mission rewards which account for 50-70% of the monster resources.

Vorark

Erudite
Free hunt is akin to the training school in FU. Just learn the monster patterns and try out weapons without being penalized.

sullynathan

Arcane
I said that because I didn't like the mission based design of the series. it never took me anywhere near 45 minutes to beat 1 or 2 monsters so why have a time limit?

Why did I need to activate a mission just to go into the world? The gathering quests were there just for farming.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Did you ever actually play any of the difficult missions? Higher rank stuff is basically impossible to solo within the time limit unless you've got a weapon above the tier you're fighting or you're burning through a shitton of high end consumables.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
False. I solo'd the entirety of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate averaging 25-35 minutes per quest in G rank.
And I bet you had at least a high end high rank weapon or g rank weapon, so what's false about his post exactly?

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I didn't use a weapon above the tier I was fighting or burning through high end consumables. I used the upgrades equal to the ranks I was fighting and didn't actually bother making my ultimate end game set until I had finished Dire Miralis and the other G3's.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
After watching the gameplay, I'm kinda let down, honestly. Spent more time doing QTE shit, chasing, and scripted crap than actually fighting. And the quest compass bugs are lame, suck all the fun out of exploring to find new resource points and searching for the monster to begin with.
I used the upgrades equal to the ranks I was fighting
In other words you didn't solo shit, you got a g-rank weapon from online and used it on g-rank monsters offline. Besides, I don't think anything in MH3U even counts as a really difficult mission. The ones I'm talking about things like MHFU's bullshit rajangs that spend 60% of the mission in rage mode ready to one shot you if you try to get a hit in, not pussy monsters that take a break so you can beat them up every 5 minutes while they get their breath back.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
In other words you didn't solo shit, you got a g-rank weapon from online and used it on g-rank monsters offline. Besides, I don't think anything in MH3U even counts as a really difficult mission. The ones I'm talking about things like MHFU's bullshit rajangs that spend 60% of the mission in rage mode ready to one shot you if you try to get a hit in, not pussy monsters that take a break so you can beat them up every 5 minutes while they get their breath back.
Wrong again, on all accounts. I never even played multiplayer in 3U.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Looks like a poor choice of wording on his part. You do realize there is no rank higher than G Rank, right? So how could one possibly use higher than G-Rank weapons on G-rank? Semantic arguments are so brainless.

Vorark

Erudite
Looks like a poor choice of wording on his part. You do realize there is no rank higher than G Rank, right? So how could one possibly use higher than G-Rank weapons on G-rank? Semantic arguments are so brainless.

In 3U it wasn't possible, but you have excavated weapons in 4U which have way better stats than the stuff you craft in G Rank.

BTW, it's the leaked video. Mounting QTE was expect, it was there in 4U too. Rathalos moveset looks alright, shame it didn't kill the idiot playing the demo.

Edit - The thunderbug trail (?) looks annoying, yeah. Hopefully you can turn it off.

Last edited:

The Fish

Arcane
Did you ever actually play any of the difficult missions? Higher rank stuff is basically impossible to solo within the time limit unless you've got a weapon above the tier you're fighting or you're burning through a shitton of high end consumables.

That's definitely not true for the psp games. Though I have come close to running out of time it never appeared even close to impossible.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
In 3U it wasn't possible, but you have excavated weapons in 4U which have way better stats than the stuff you craft in G Rank.

Relic weapons? You needed to be in G-Rank to unlock the G-Rank tier runs I believe.

Edit - The thunderbug trail (?) looks annoying, yeah. Hopefully you can turn it off.

And yeah, I totally agree with this. This better be fucking optional. I want to use my own wits to find shit, not "follow the purty lights".

Vorark

Erudite
^ Hmm, now I'm not sure. I remember there was a bit of rng involved too.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Are the G3 elder dragons any fun in 4U? I got to G2 sometime last year but put down the game from lack of interest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom