Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Monster Hunter: World - pre-release thread

Perkel

Arcane
Desert Area. Diablos, Barroth are in. few new monsters shown, 2 mid sized 2 big and ton of smaller ones. That chicken monster apperently is named Kulu-Ya-Ku hopefully this means no yan kut ku and other 1st gen unupgraded garbage.

Perkel

Arcane
tJwUqkh.gif

hubtown

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Same here. Last one I played was MHFU on the PSP.. fucking seven years ago? But me and some buddies had an absolute blast with it.

Kitchen Utensil

Never played a Monster Hunter game before, but since this somewhat reminds me of Dragon's Dogma and seems to have satisfying gameplay, I'm very much looking forward to it.

Couple of questions:
1) can you solo these games or is coop kinda mandatory?
2) how does character progression and customisation work? Is it just different/better weapons and armor or is there some kind of experience/leveling system in place on top of that?
3) armor and weapon customisation: Can you mix and match parts of different armor sets? Are there ways to upgrade/customise armors and weapons?
4) can you freely explore the world and kill monsters as you go or do you have to take quests? Is there anything to do, explore and to be found in the world besides new monsters, crafting weapons and armor, and repeat?

mogwaimon

Magister
Never played a Monster Hunter game before, but since this somewhat reminds me of Dragon's Dogma and seems to have satisfying gameplay, I'm very much looking forward to it.

Couple of questions:
1) can you solo these games or is coop kinda mandatory?
2) how does character progression and customisation work? Is it just different/better weapons and armor or is there some kind of experience/leveling system in place on top of that?
3) armor and weapon customisation: Can you mix and match parts of different armor sets? Are there ways to upgrade/customise armors and weapons?
4) can you freely explore the world and kill monsters as you go or do you have to take quests? Is there anything to do, explore and to be found in the world besides new monsters, crafting weapons and armor, and repeat?

I'm hardly a MH aficionado with only some time put into MH2 on PSP back in the day, but...

1) You can solo everything in the game, usually. Even the online quests can be attempted solo, but you do have to be pretty damn good to do the upper rank/G-rank online quests solo
2) Character progression is mainly through armor and weapons, which can have skills slotted into them. You have to farm gear from the monster parts to craft it, and then use your skills to support your build/weapon choice.
3) Yes to both. You can mix/match parts and you can customize/upgrade gear. Usually not visually, though, the visual element comes from what type of gear it is.
4) It's usually you have to take quests, for the most part. This new game might be different, though.

On the Dragon's Dogma comparison....nah. The two games are quite different, MH has a more steady methodical combat style (at least in solo, and I haven't played Generations so not sure how the introduction of combat styles has effected the meta) while Dogma is a bit more fast-paced and ultimately more forgiving.

Kitchen Utensil

Thank you, sounds all good except the character progression part, which I'm not sure about.

On one hand, it reads like player skill could be quite important, which would be good in my book, but on the other hand it seems like you could be forced to use certain gear in order to be able to progress further. For example you have to farm for a certain armor set which looks like shit but has way better stats that you need to stand a chance in an upcoming hunt.
I guess what I'm asking is: is player skill important enough in this game to compensate for inadequate equipment to some degree and are there enough viable customisation options?

mogwaimon

Magister
Player skill is probably one of the most important factors in the game, yea. If you go back to old MH havens like the PSP GFAQs MHF2 boards you'll probably find people with videos of themselves in low-tier gear hammering one of the top monsters to death without getting hit. The main factor is the time limit inherent to each mission; you can be a MH god but trying to do a low-tier gear challenge may be impeded by lack of time.

Anything deeper you may have to get answers from someone else; I am a novice compared to most MH players here I would bet.

Kitchen Utensil

Na, that's good enough for me. I want to go in as green as possible.
Thanks again! :salute:

Jinn

Arcane
Been playing Monster Hunter Tri on the Dolphin lately. It's my first Monster Hunter game, and I'm really impressed so far. Shit is good. It's getting me pretty hyped up for World.

hajro

Arbiter
Tri got no G rank and most lategame shit is online only (and online servers are dead :deathclaw: )

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Now that's what I was hoping for. Lots of new monsters. Hopefully they can bring back a lot of previous ones too but the important thing is to have a high monster count.

Jinn

Arcane
So, does that lack of G rank and multiplayer make Monster Hunter Tri not worth playing?

Martius

Liturgist
Maybe for veterans. I dont think that makes such big difference for someone new to series. Sadly Capcom like to release a lot of different versions. I think definite version of 3 is 3 Ultimate on 3ds and wii u.

Perkel

Arcane
Tri got no G rank and most lategame shit is online only (and online servers are dead :deathclaw: )

True but imo it is great for beginners in mh. Obviously MH4 is even better at that but 3DS cost money and citra isn't anywhere close to emulating it.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Tri was my first MH game. Nothing wrong with it. Will introduce you to the basics. Sword and Shield is a good starter weapon, or use Lance if you want to take it slow and really cheese the game. Great Sword (which is always my main weapon) if you really want to get good at learning monster animations and timings.

hajro

Arbiter
Im hoping those cemu fags fix the 3U WiiU port so you can play Tri how it was meant to be played. Or citra gets working 4U

Perkel

Arcane
seems like MH4 like story will be back for MH World. IT should be great for introducing new people and giving them some reason outside of better gear > fight harder monster.
Also Offline/Online seems to be merged together now. There won't be distinction between online quests and offline ones.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Also Offline/Online seems to be merged together now. There won't be distinction between online quests and offline ones.
What exactly is that supposed to mean? That makes me worried that the game will be worse off for it, since I exclusively play these games solo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom