Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

Perkel

Arcane
Didn't this game get released yesterday? Why is this place so quiet?

- expensive
- not cracked
- much like first DS it will take a while for some codexers to pick it up
- veterans skip this release because they already played on PS4 (me and few other here)
- people play it and they don't have time to dex.

Pick your poison.

deama

Prophet

- expensive
- not cracked
- veterans skip this release because they already played on PS4 (me and few other here)

Pick your poison.
Strange, I got the impression the vets would buy it all over again just to support MH (at least that's what one of my friends did), and to do some PC specific shinanigans like play it in 60fps or do conditional hacks and then talk about it on the 'dex.

Perkel

Arcane
Strange, I got the impression the vets would buy it all over again just to support MH (at least that's what one of my friends did), and to do some PC specific shinanigans like play it in 60fps or do conditional hacks and then talk about it on the 'dex.

bought it for ps4 and i was playing with ps4 pro so i got 60fps more or less. I will buy it on PC when they will annnounce G-expansion which should be winter this year with release sometimes next year.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

- expensive
- not cracked

Pick your poison.

Nah. MHW doesn't have enough content to justify buying it again at full price (especially since the PC version is launching without any of the updates that the console version got lol). If this was a G-Rank release then that would be a whole different matter. It also has a railroaded first few hours which isn't really that fun to go through again as a vet. Also would be pretty annoying unlocking / leveling up all the Grimalkyn stuff again.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I'm debating with myself if holding off until performance improves is worth it. Which is admittedly highly unlikely since Japanese devs couldn't write decent code if their life depended on it. If performance does not improve I'll have to upgrade my graphics card, but GPU prices are still hilariously high. Fucking mining faggots :argh:.

I mean, just look at this benchmark.

WDopWD2.png

deama

Prophet

I'm debating with myself if holding off until performance improves is worth it. Which is admittedly highly unlikely since Japanese devs couldn't write decent code if their life depended on it. If performance does not improve I'll have to upgrade my graphics card, but GPU prices are still hilariously high. Fucking mining faggots :argh:.

WDopWD2.png
I heard prices are gonna get even worse cause of the trade wars with china.

Perkel

Arcane
That is on highest. I heard from multiple sources that volumetric lighting on highest fucks performance and once you drop it a little performance shoots up.

GrainWetski

Arcane
bought it for ps4 and i was playing with ps4 pro so i got 60fps more or less. I will buy it on PC when they will annnounce G-expansion which should be winter this year with release sometimes next year.
Did some patch increase the FPS by 20+? If not, you didn't play it anywhere close to 60.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Whoever designed how the multiplayer works should be required to enter a 50 character string and fill in 3 forms before they're allowed to use the bathroom

Edit: Also if they need to shit they have to do that, go into the bathroom, pull down their trousers, sit on the toilet, push it out a bit, then suck it back in, pull their trousers back up, go out, fill in another form, then go back in and now they're allowed to shit.

Last edited:
That is on highest. I heard from multiple sources that volumetric lighting on highest fucks performance and once you drop it a little performance shoots up.

Turning off volumetric fog does lighten the GPU load considerably - about 30% on my 1070. However, that doesn't mean it runs 30% faster - I only get about 5fps from it, but my testing has been limited.

It also has the benefit of looking a lot better (by default the game looks washed out and lacking quite a bit of contrast), so for me it's a win-win.

He's playing with the default brightness levels, looks terrible. Proper brightness calibration is a must for this game. He also suffers from a severe case of upspeak (that weird and incredibly annoying millenial tonal shift where people sound like they're asking a question even when they're making a statement), which makes watching his videos unbearable to me.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm playing it, but it hasn't sucked me in. Kind of took a chance on a game genre I'm not that familiar with.

Lots of nice details in the game, great graphics, detailed world, but the gameplay loop will get real tiring, soon enough. The hunts are each ~10-20 mins, so far, and the rewards for those hunts are pretty uninspiring. All in service of incredibly slight upgrades to existing equipment.

Gerrard

Arcane
I like how the game automatically switches between keyboard and gamepad prompts in real time.

Meanwhile at From Software.

Mortmal

Arcane

WDopWD2.png
I heard prices are gonna get even worse cause of the trade wars with china.
No they are loads of 1080 and other high end cards they cant sell cause the mining hype as gone. They inflated 1180 prices so shop could get rid of the old cards. Hold on, be patient, you will have those cards for nothing.

Jinn

Arcane
Just wanted to pop in to say this game is amazing and I'm so glad we finally have a Monster Hunter on PC. I'm having such a blast with.

Perkel

Arcane
Just wanted to pop in to say this game is amazing and I'm so glad we finally have a Monster Hunter on PC. I'm having such a blast with.

Mate you haven't seen shit. Just wait till we get G-expansion and people will cry hugging each other finally beating XYZ monster. :D

Are you new to MH ?

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Not sure about this one. I'm no fan of bullet sponginess, and that's what I'm seeing in every vid of this to the extreme. (also slow ass combat anims and such)

Is there a high skill ceiling/some clever ways to play to mitigate this?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Generally I see that term used in reference to boring enemies that do the same shift while you chip away at them. MH isn't like that at all. You can break off body parts to do various things, enrage, exhaust and trap monsters, apply a slew of status ailments, and the fight will change in nature as it flees or chases you to different terrain.

If you want everything to die in a minute flat you're playing the wrong game.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The best players can kill some of the hardest monsters in minutes, but it's unlikely that you'll get to that level until you've sunk in thousands of hours into MonHun.

Perkel

Arcane
Not sure about this one. I'm no fan of bullet sponginess, and that's what I'm seeing in every vid of this to the extreme. (also slow ass combat anims and such)

Is there a high skill ceiling/some clever ways to play to mitigate this?

It is not bullet sponge. While they do have huge health you are talking about taking on huuuge monster with your tiny human size and tiny weapons. It doesn't brake "immersion" like taking 5 hits in head from sniper in some other game. It feels "right".

It is like war of attrition. Unlike DS you no longer have luck on your side. If you suck you suck and you will cart, there is no randomness, you have to be better than monster and you have things to learn, environment, tools, where to hit, read monster, read attacks and so on.
Just watching isn't enough to "get" it same way watching DS combat doesn't do that. By video you will never feel grunch of hitting monster just at the right time in right place, you won't feel monster being better than you pummeling you around etc.

Mortmal

Arcane
WTF ?? Someone genuinely enjoying games on my codex!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom