Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

Mortmal

Arcane
Only scores 50% though.

Probably they never expected to sell anything close to 1mln in first 3 days so they probably didn't scale well servers.I remember on PS4 also having issues at start.

Other huge thing is Nvidia released "monster hunter ready" drivers that cut performance in half. People with 980Ti got like 20fps lol @ 1080p.
Having no fps trouble with my old i5 2500k and a R9380, playing at 1080p although. Hard to know what you will get with this game as people with much better rigs are apparently doing much worse than me. Dont know what to think if its real technical problems, people ignorance and fucking up their pcs, or just plain lying.

Perkel

Arcane
I love the art design in this game. Everything, from the achievement icons to the armor and weapons and of course the environments follows a great style.

Yeah generally speaking art design in MH games is excellent. Usually i don't like when armor or weapons are "overthetop" but in MH it works mainly due to excellent art design and making sure your weapons or armor looks like it is really made out of monster parts.
Monster art is also great and it still astounds me that monster don't follow typical Japanese design mumbo-jumbo which i hate.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I wanted to talk a bit more about lance actually because I used to use it in the original, and haven't liked it in the few MH games I've played since then. The biggest difference I've noticed is that now, after a hop, you can alter the direction you attack by a bit. It's enough that dodging attacks is no longer basically just fucking you out of a chance to damage until you completely recover and turn your character. You can just hop aside and keep poking. It also makes pinpointing weak spots much much easier. A bunch of the extra attacks are cool too, makes it easier to deal with trash monsters having a swat attack for example, and the charge is much better with all the extra moves you can do during it. It seems really well suited to this game in particular, being able to run after things that are fleeing. My biggest gripe about it would be that the mount attack does so little damage it feels like mostly a waste of time, and it's weirdly ineffective to do it with a charge on a fleeing monster because you'll be half out of stamina before you've even started.

I love the flashy helm splitter attack the longsword has, but it's so unreliable with that huge delay, shit can just randomly flee it and it's a huge cost. The evade strike is a similar problem, it tends to whiff and then all your gauge is gone. The charge blade has similar issues, except it's flashy move takes like, twice as long to perform. These seem like moves meant for team battles, where the monster spends forever in a trap, paralyzed, etc. It's kind of a shame the lance doesn't have anything flashy like that.

I'm actually liking the mounting mechanic more than I thought I would. It's actually fun as long as the button prompts aren't there and you have to try and read the monster. The damage you deal is pretty laughable though. I'm guessing it is especially good for knocking monsters out of their rage or something liike that?

I used hammer a ton in the last few games so I'll probably avoid it here. Maybe I'll give the greatsword a shot, I've never liked it before but it also seems well suited to this style where the monster often is open to a sneak attack. Even SnS seems like it might be fun with all the environmental stuff, and those pierce and bomb pods actually dealt halfway decent damage. Does that scale with your weapon?

Ivan

Arcane
Just finished a 50 hour binge. Managed to kill Xeno'jiiva, soloed everything. Thank fuck this game isn't longer because I don't want to lose a week or more of my life to this.

Is there any worthwhile content after the final boss?

So is regular campaign ~ 50 hours?

Jinn

Arcane
Just finished a 50 hour binge. Managed to kill Xeno'jiiva, soloed everything. Thank fuck this game isn't longer because I don't want to lose a week or more of my life to this.

You have a weird way of looking at playing games if this is how you feel. Just go with the flow and play in moderation.

That is where the majority of the content is for Monster Hunter fans. Endgame is the true beginning of the game it seems.

I'm actually liking the mounting mechanic more than I thought I would. It's actually fun as long as the button prompts aren't there and you have to try and read the monster. The damage you deal is pretty laughable though. I'm guessing it is especially good for knocking monsters out of their rage or something liike that?

The stab damage is bad, but if you stay mounted for long enough, I think you get to do an elemental discharge attack with a lot of weapons. Also, mounting is very useful as a distraction if you have a friend who is close to death, needs to sharpen their weapon, or prepare a trap. Mounting is actually extremely useful in general.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

I'm playing solo so the distraction aspect doesn't really apply. And the lance finisher is like... the damage of maybe 4 stabs to the face. Although knocking the monster down to get at a weak point is a nice bonus for most weapons, the lance is already kinda perfect at doing that. I did find it more useful with the charge blade for the damage burst and the breather to land good attacks.

Tried out dual swords, also much better than I was expecting. The mobility is insane, and your stamina and sharpness last a long time compared to the old days. Lack of reach is a problem for weak points, but going berserk on a downed monster from the right spot generally solves that.

I'll probably try the insect glaive next. It seemed super clunky in the practice room but maybe it's better in a real fight.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm an sns guy. I also play solo, so the pc connectivity problems haven't affected me ever.

The mouse and keyboard controls are actually pretty good. Only HR 5 rn though. Only played a few hours, just went to Coral Highlands.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
What do people think of the insect glaive? I've been forcing myself to play with it, just because flying around with it in the air looks so cool in the videos, but it doesn't play as fun as it looks. And having to aim the insect to the different parts of the monster to get buffs is kind of annoying. I'm not far enough in this game to know the effects of leveling and upgrades, so I don't know if they effect the handling of weapons or not.

Hyperion

Arcane
I love the flashy helm splitter attack the longsword has, but it's so unreliable with that huge delay, shit can just randomly flee it and it's a huge cost. The evade strike is a similar problem
Main Lance, and started with Longsword this time around to go full weeb with the Samurai Set, and oddly enough th LS strikes me as the offensive / finesse version of the Lance. I'm nowhere near close to even 'good' with the Sword, but I'm slowly realizing if you can't use Foresight Slash properly, don't bother with the LS, because it's the only reliable way to up your Spirit Gauge in a fight imo. Basic attacks should be there to fill the gaps imo, while Spirit Helm Breaker is for when the monster is focused on someone else, exhausted, knocked down, or just used their biggest attack that leaves them open for a few seconds. Once you start treating Foresight Slash like the Lance's Counter Thrust, i.e. something you'll use every few seconds, things go a lot better. Tough adjusting to the timing of it with the slower slashes, and the bit of a delay from when you input and the jump back actually happens.

Lance is incredible, though. Just got Guard 3, and my dick grew 11 inches.

What do people think of the insect glaive?
Lots of fun, but aerial combos are unfortunately less damage than the ground. Don't even bother fighting unless you have at least Red + White buffs up at all times. Also, it's a little disheartening to be *the* aerial weapon, but outclassed in mounting by Sword and Shield, Great Sword, and pretty much everything else.

Jinn

Arcane
I'm playing solo so the distraction aspect doesn't really apply. And the lance finisher is like... the damage of maybe 4 stabs to the face. Although knocking the monster down to get at a weak point is a nice bonus for most weapons, the lance is already kinda perfect at doing that. I did find it more useful with the charge blade for the damage burst and the breather to land good attacks.

Tried out dual swords, also much better than I was expecting. The mobility is insane, and your stamina and sharpness last a long time compared to the old days. Lack of reach is a problem for weak points, but going berserk on a downed monster from the right spot generally solves that.

I'll probably try the insect glaive next. It seemed super clunky in the practice room but maybe it's better in a real fight.

Even solo the mounting mechanic can be beneficial because that's all damage given where you're essentially invulnerable.

Perkel

Arcane
Some nice stats to show how thirsty people were on PC for it.

When most of games retract about 50-70% for the "night" on steam MHW stayed at 200k+ which means most of the people are binging hard and not going to work. (i took few days free for PS4 release lol)
In 4 days it did 10% of CSGO total number of hours played which is insane considering we are talking about CSGO a game which had at some points 300-400k people playing at the same time for years.

The thirst is real.

kPQafsb.jpg

The stab damage is bad, but if you stay mounted for long enough, I think you get to do an elemental discharge attack with a lot of weapons. Also, mounting is very useful as a distraction if you have a friend who is close to death, needs to sharpen their weapon, or prepare a trap. Mounting is actually extremely useful in general.

Depends a lot on weapon and skills. Dual Blades and Insect Glaive i think have additional non trivial damage when you mount monsters just from normal stabs. Biggest advantage is that once you properly mount monster you will knock over it which gives whole team ample amount of time to deal serious damage while being completely safe from attacks.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I started playing Monster Hunter on the PSP with a Great Sword (GS), and I'm still playing with a GS. God help those not using a GS. I feel like a walking cannon.

I wish Dark Souls monsters would come to MH:W. I want to carve the Pontiff's arse to make new armour.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Yeah generally speaking art design in MH games is excellent. Usually I don't like when armor or weapons are "overthetop" but in MH it works mainly due to excellent art design and making sure your weapons or armor looks like it is really made out of monster parts.
Monster art is also great and it still astounds me that monster don't follow typical Japanese design mumbo-jumbo which i hate.

Yes, I don't like the over the top weapons and armor but here it works. Even though it should look silly, it doesn't (once you accept the suspension of disbelief - greatly helped by the art design and because the animations really convey the weight of the weapons).

The Monsters looks interesting and what you see is what you get in terms of attacks etc.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Capcom office is on fire: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...encent-to-kill-game-just-days-after-its-debut

China Orders Tencent to Kill Game Just Days After Its Debut

Tencent said some parts of the game weren’t rules-compliant
Beijing’s order comes as Tencent awaits the OK on PUBG

Tencent Holdings Ltd. took another hit to its gaming business, after regulators told the social media giant to remove Monster Hunter: World from its PC downloads service just days after the action title’s debut.

Parts of the Capcom Co. hit failed to meet regulatory standards and the relevant authorities received a “significant amount of complaints,” which in turn spurred the government to revoke an operating license, Tencent said in a statement without elaborating. Tencent shares fell 2.4 percent on Monday, while Capcom’s stock slumped almost 10 percent.

It’s the latest blow to Tencent’s gaming operation, which has faced a series of hiccups. The company hasn’t won the necessary approval to begin generating money from its marquee mobile game, PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, and has yet to receive the green light for introducing the desktop version to China. That’s hobbled revenue growth at the internet giant and contributed to a 15 percent slide in its stock since June.

“Tencent used to be world-class gaming & social media company, but has transformed into a massive multi-sector VC operation with important gaming & social media sidelines," said Brock Silvers, managing director of Kaiyuan Capital, a China-based advisory. "The recent fumbling of core gaming operations is a worrying trend, and investors can reasonably begin to ask if constant investment and competition with Alibaba are causing Tencent to lose focus.”

While Tencent’s run into issues with the industry’s overseers in the past -- notably when state media rounded on its inhouse-developed Honour of Kings for allegedly encouraging addiction -- it’s unusual for the giant internet firm to encounter multiple obstacles at once.

Capcom’s title has sold more than 8 million copies globally. The series, where players hunt the titular beasts, has been popular in Japan for over a decade. With the new title, Capcom re-designed many elements specifically tailored for Western audiences, such as including more online play and letting players move freely through the game.

I'm taking it very slow and doing almost all of the optional stuff, so I'm only HR5 20 hours in. I've just finished hunting enough Tobi-Kadachi to craft a full set (plus a Pulsar Shotei), and outfit my cat with full Tobi-Kadachi gear as well.

The Tobi-Kadachi is my favourite monster so far, his animations are great and the fight is dynamic and fun. I hate fighting Anjas and I think they're harder than higher tier monsters like the Rathian.

I'm enjoying the longsword moveset, but I can't really seem to incorporate Foresight Slash (RT+B) very well, I seem to get hit out of it quite often and it whiffs a lot of the time. Building meter isn't very efficient and although the helmsplitter looks great, it's very unreliable. I think I'll switch to another weapon because I feel hunts take too long (takes me something like 20m to kill a basic Anja).

Anyway, having great fun but I'm not sure why people rush through the game - there's so much to take in and so many little details, sometimes I just go on an exploration to take it slow and find different routes through the level. It's really impressive to me how vertical the forest is, for example. Even after running through it 10 times, I still find different pathways and nodes.

Besides, the campaign is pretty lame so far. It feels overly scripted and doesn't make me want to play it at all. I'd rather just be hunting 100% of the time.

Damned Registrations

Yeah I'm just screwing around trying out weapons and exploring the areas. Loving the environmental traps and gathering is so much more satisfying, no more spending 20 seconds on one node to get like 2 iron and a bunch of stone, or 5 herbs and 1 actually useful plant. You can even see the bugs before you grab them, which is nice. The campaign is overly scripted so far, but at least it seems to be clipping along well enough, not like the old games where you had to farm 40 vespoids and 20 kelbi and 10 rare mushrooms before you could fight a new monster.

Just tried the insect glaive out... it's even more clunky than I'd feared. Trying to gather your essences is a pain, and even once you have them, it's just a rather boring weapon on the ground, and a weak one in the air. Really feeling pulled back towards the lance just for the option of charging after fleeing monsters, feels so annoying just running after them ineffectually.

The Fish

Arcane

That is where the majority of the content is for Monster Hunter fans. Endgame is the true beginning of the game it seems.

I've played and "completed" many monster hunter games before. Typically they have a much longer treadmill and no story so the ending isn't clearly defined. But it seems in World that once you've killed Xeno'jiiva there's no G-rank or super final boss to grind your way towards. I was simply wondering whether I'd missed out on a true final boss or another set of ranks.

I don't see the point in grinding out a bunch of armours and weapons in order to kill things that I already find fairly easy to kill.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Anyway, having great fun but I'm not sure why people rush through the game - there's so much to take in and so many little details, sometimes I just go on an exploration to take it slow and find different routes through the level. It's really impressive to me how vertical the forest is, for example. Even after running through it 10 times, I still find different pathways and nodes.

Yes, it's "Open World" done right. It's certainly not a corridor in disguise nor a big but boring empty place.

Perkel

Arcane
Good lord those potato farmers know how to get their games cheap. I just bought MHW on PC for wait for it.... 2$. Only minus is that i can't play online. Now i am waiting for steam guard code and off to downloading game. From opinions it seems like this is no scam.

edit:

got key, downloading !

Decision decisions. I think i will for this offline play play only solo without cats or grymlakines (whatver fuck they are named). Probably will main great sword. One of the few weapons i didn't put significant time on in any MH ever.

Last edited:

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Just tried the insect glaive out... it's even more clunky than I'd feared. Trying to gather your essences is a pain, and even once you have them, it's just a rather boring weapon on the ground, and a weak one in the air. Really feeling pulled back towards the lance just for the option of charging after fleeing monsters, feels so annoying just running after them ineffectually.
I've switched off the insect glaive for the same reasons but revisited the weapon later on when I got my first elemental/status buildup weapons. I've now fallen in love with it because nothing beats vaulting through the air, constantly attacking the monster while you're practically invulnerable to anything but charge-attacks, and slowly chipping away at them. I just get the red-buff from the head first so the attack combos get buffed/extended, then start my first vault and usually trigger a mounting attack from that (using the mount-expert and glider cape to make it even easier). By the time the monster topples over for the first time I can take my time to get white/orange and then blast away with the full charge. I generally get 2-3 mounting attacks and knockdowns on the first encounter, another one on the second one, and if the monster even gets to retreat again it's usually in a state where I can capture it. While I'm mostly playing solo I could probably get better results by switching to one of the bigger weapons, but since I'm planning on tackling the endgame grind with a bunch of friends there should be immense value in having that much control over the enemy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom