Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

Perkel

Arcane
Careful what you wish for. Most of the time palicoes are fucking useless pieces of trash that only break your attack on monster because monster decides to move toward palico instead of you.

IN mhw they are very useful.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Dragon's Dogma is choice. If it had the modability of Skyrim we could just toss Skyrim in the trash and play Dragon's Dogma all day instead. We need a sequel.

We can toss Skyrim in the trash regardless.

Dragon's Dogma is great, and I got about 80-100 hours out of it (twice, once on consoles and much later on PC), but once BBI hits and the copy-pasting of monsters and other assets begins, I lose interest quickly.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Realized I might as well finish the weekly limited bounties at least. Also, Pickle is coming to PC in the next patch! Lazing Dirk, I hope your body is ready!

The particular Investigation I'm using for Diablos completions always has Black Diablos and Bagel, no faints allowed, capture only, basically the maximum fun you can get from a Diablos hunt, and they always go the same way:

1. begin quest, eat at canteen
  2. drop down into sandpit, collect a track or two
  3. run out the exit, wait up to 2 minutes for turf war to start in sandpit
  4. Diablos loses turf war and slinks back to nest
  5. put on ghillie mantle and head for the nest
  6. Bagel shows up in sandpit and starts fighting Black Diablos
  7. reach nest, put down two explosive barrels, shoot barrels and engage Diablos
  8. within a minute, Black Diablos and/or Bagel enter nest as well, try not to die and flee ASAP
  9. within another minute, they all scatter
  10. find and engage Diablos again, poop Bagel if needed
  11. Diablos limps back to sandpit and/or nest
  12. run/teleport back to sandpit/next, put on ghillie mantle again if needed, tranq and trap

And it always takes about twelve minutes. Can't complain too much, as I get 6-7 Dash Extract every time.

971704b8e2.png

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Dude wtf, just pick gun lance get guard on armor and smack those bitches up.

This is one of the very few fights in the game where the Legia Snowfletcher is godly, and by God, I'm going to get some use out of it. Besides, soloing any Diablos with a bow is far more challenging and masculine than hiding behind a shield with stacked Guard skill that easily blocks all of their attacks.

No matter what weapon I'm using, I'd prefer to take it easy and get Diablos alone. The actual fighting portion is maybe 3-4 minutes tops, the rest is just a nice nature hike.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Fighting Diablos is so different from how I remember him from the good old days, chasing him around huge deserts for a billion years (hope you painted that fucker) and trying to lure him into charging at a wall to cut his horns, or standing on solid rock so he can't burrow under you. Now it seems he burrows wherever the fuck he wants and the wall charge thing I haven't seen either. Overall he's much easier though, though the black variant is a sneaky cunt with the fakeout dashes and such.

Perkel

Arcane
Whoa they really don't wait with content for PC version. I assumed it would take a little bit longer but looks like in 2 months PC version should hit console version content wise.
There is also Tokyo game show very soon where i think they will announce G-expansion.

edit: I only hit High rank and i am waiting for G-expansion.

Dragon's Dogma is choice. If it had the modability of Skyrim we could just toss Skyrim in the trash and play Dragon's Dogma all day instead. We need a sequel.
The two games are nothing alike. Anyone with discerning taste tossed Skyrim in the bin shortly after it was released.

Dragon`s Dogma is a spiritual successor to Capcom's old arcade games (i.e. King of the Dragons, Magic Sword), at heart an excellent action game inheriting its tight combat system from stuff like Devil may Cry. Don't fool yourself - the meat of the game is clearly the combat. The open world stuff is the lesser part of it (even though it's much better than recent Bethturds and has its moments). The game is at its very best as a dungeon delve at Bitterblack Isle.

DD has the best depictions of classic D&D monsters ever. They're simply amazing and great to fight against.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
DD still easily exceeds both the Souls and Monster Hunter franchises in the fluidity and intricacy of its combat, probably best seen with the classes that can tumble, jump, kick off walls, and climb on monsters. Never before nor since have I seen such a fun and workable party-based action RPG. In Dark Souls you can't play a slow-casting sorcerer type because that's not allowed—bosses and most enemies will be in your face tap-dancing on your spleen unless you roll on all the proper cues. In DD it's totally viable to have party members who aren't frontline fighters, and there are a lot of viable party combinations.

DD is perhaps a bit too easy at times later on as a result, but it's worth the difficulty dip. Not everything has to be an edgy "perfect reflexes and timing or fuck you" boss fight speedrunning simulator.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
lmao cluster bomb spam is so fucking cheesy, i can kill Xeno in 8 minutes.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron

All of the ranged weapons are objectively terrible, even when they can be used to dish out high damage. It's always been that way. MH suffers from a conundrum similar to that suffered by Dark Souls in terms of ranged attacks: All of the difficulty comes from blocking or dodging the attacks of an enemy that's in your face, with few exceptions (i.e. ranged enemies, with hilariously cheesy homing projectiles). It's all balanced around melee. You therefore can't be allowed to actually maintain an adequate distance from the target, so you have to be a stone's throw away to deal any damage, and many if not all of your projectiles will likely travel at the speed of a tennis ball.

Most light bogans and heavy bogans function best from practically within melee range. My five-year-old niece could seriously throw a stone further than their optimal ranges in most cases. The funny thing is that cluster bombs are a bit of an exception to this: They actually have a pretty high mortar range, depending on the ammo and bogan in question.

The bow is literally just LMB spam and absolutely nothing else. Charged shots, dragon piercer, the arrow rain thing, etc. are all lower DPS regardless of armor skills or anything else. At least the arrow rain seems to do KO damage. Shame monsters never stay in the same place for more than three seconds unless KOed, and when they are KOed, the arrow rain will flinch any of your fellow hunters who don't have Flinch Free.

In Demon's Souls and Dark Souls magic was ridiculously OP by midway into the game, but then it was nerfed once FromSoft realized that it was impossible to maintain difficulty with a strong ranged player character.

Dragon's Dogma is possibly the only Japanshit action RPG type deal that actually has viable and balanced strong ranged attackers, who can actually attack from range without having to be within cocksucking distance of the target.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

All of the ranged weapons are objectively terrible, even when they can be used to dish out high damage. It's always been that way. MH suffers from a conundrum similar to that suffered by Dark Souls in terms of ranged attacks: All of the difficulty comes from blocking or dodging the attacks of an enemy that's in your face, with few exceptions (i.e. ranged enemies, with hilariously cheesy homing projectiles). It's all balanced around melee. You therefore can't be allowed to actually maintain an adequate distance from the target, so you have to be a stone's throw away to deal any damage, and many if not all of your projectiles will likely travel at the speed of a tennis ball.

And despite that, Dark Devourer (which you PC guys can make now) wrecks the game.

And I actually find many fights significantly easier with ranged weapons. Kirin, Kushala Daora, and Bazelguse are easier with ranged weapons.

MHW doesn't suffer from the same problem as Dark Souls in regards to ranged weapons.

Emmanuel2

Savant
And despite that, Dark Devourer (which you PC guys can make now) wrecks the game.

And I actually find many fights significantly easier with ranged weapons. Kirin, Kushala Daora, and Bazelguse are easier with ranged weapons.

MHW doesn't suffer from the same problem as Dark Souls in regards to ranged weapons.

Bow and Heavy bowguns are also leading the solo time attacks/speed hunts by a whole mile and a lot more reliably than melee weapons due to some of their leading builds requiring setpieces (aerial).

Heavy bowguns never really dropped in being godly at kill times in the series, but the Bow was a nice surprise in this entry. Back then, specific melee weapons (Lance in MHG/GU, IG/CB/GS in MH4U, Hammer/LS in MHFU/2/2G) and heavy bowgun were at the top.

Vorark

Erudite
Whatever was broken by the last update is now fixed, completed two hunts without a single crash! :dance:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Bow and Heavy bowguns are also leading the solo time attacks/speed hunts by a whole mile and a lot more reliably than melee weapons due to some of their leading builds requiring setpieces (aerial).

Heavy bowguns never really dropped in being godly at kill times in the series, but the Bow was a nice surprise in this entry. Back then, specific melee weapons (Lance in MHG/GU, IG/CB/GS in MH4U, Hammer/LS in MHFU/2/2G) and heavy bowgun were at the top.

Like I said, they may be able to dish out high damage, but that doesn't really redeem their mechanics in my view. That being said, I didn't even touch ANY ranged weapons in older MHs, because I assumed that aiming them with shitty control schemes would probably make me want to kill myself (and I was likely correct).

In any case, IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT'S PICKLIN' TIME!

Perkel

Arcane
13 days till Tokyo Game Show and it is basically last gaming trade show this year and basically last moment where they can announce G expansion (ultimate for us westerners) before release in 2019. Unless they plan to hold off release of G-expansion to something like summer 2019 and then they could use E3 to announce expansion and release it like 1-2 months later. But i doubt that.

Code:
MH - March 2004                  - 15 l.monsters / 17 w variants
MHG - January 20 2005            - 16 l.monsters / 31 w variants

MH2   - February 15 2006         - 26 l.monsters / 45 w variants
MHFU - March 27 2008*1           - 34 l.monsters/ 58 w variants

MH3   - August 1 2009            - 17 l.monsters / 18 w variants
MH3U - December 10 2011*2        - 27 l.monsters / 51 w variants

MH4   - September 14 2013        - 35 L.Monsters / 51 with variants
MH4U - October 11 2014           - 44 L.Monsters / 75 with variants

*1 There was MHF(withoutU) release between them)
And game was ported to PSP as "freedom"
*2 They released mh3-3rd on psp
between 3 and 3u which is why mh3u is later.
They also had to port MH3 to 3DS and WiiU (original plarform was Wii)
as MHTri was uber failure on Wii.

I expect Capcom adding 2 new monsters in updates before G-expansion.
My expectations for whole game + updates + expansion:

Code:
MHW  - January 26 2018         - 25 l.monsters / 29 with variants
MHWU? - March 2019             - 42 l.monsters / 52 variants if released before summer 2019
                               - 46 l.monsters / 56 variants if released summer 2019
Imho they will not wait till summer 2019 because they would want to use E3 as announcement of MHW2 with release at beginning of 2020. From history, longest time we had to wait was between 3 and 4 because 4 changed A LOT about mechanics/AI/monster animations/graphics and was from ground up made as 3DS game. and MHW because it was complete generational jump from PS2 era to modern era of graphics and everything had to be scrapped and redone.

MHW2 should be fairly easy to make so 2 years is imho proper expectation. So if nothing will happen january 2020 should be around time when MHW2 will release (if it will be called even this way)

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
Unless they plan to hold off release of G-expansion to something like summer 2019 and then they could use E3 to announce expansion and release it like 1-2 months later. But i doubt that.

Capcom usually releases a new MH in Japan every year, right? Be it main title, G rank or a spin-off. Regardless, your G rank prediction could very well be correct as it would give enough time for the PC release to reach console content parity and be fully patched.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
reddit.png

Bloody fuckers...
Limiting yourself to one weapon in MH, especially in World ehere every weapon is fun to play, is really sad and wrong. I love hammers the most but I can't imagine playing the whole game with only that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom