Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind for the first time; char build?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
And I get that it's sort of meant to counteract the reality that the world isn't huuuuuuuuuuuuuge but... eh... it's big enough. They don't need that artificial limitation to make it seem like you're traveling a hundred miles because you go about as fast as a geriatric snail. It's also why the game is best played without any graphics mods; especially ones that take away the fog: you can see almost every major landmark in the distance.

Also also Vivec is pointlessly huge.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
regarding alchemy:
Alchemy is good if not abused - especially considering that a mage will burn through a lot magicka potions when in combat. Just don't make potions while under influence of potions and don't batch produce potions solely for sale.
Funnily enough i never knew about any alchemy abuse, because i always played warrior type and thought of gathering herbs and brewing shit seemed like faggotery. Instead, what i discovered as a great source of unlimited income, was killing all those Vivec guards, who wear funny masks, when i found out that they get butthurt when i wear armor stolen from their barracks. First one was a challenge for my level and gear at that point and i surely used some cheesy tactics to fuck him up, but after that it went all uphill as the armor is very expensive and also very good at so early level. It also made killing other guards much more easier because of better protection and unlimited moneys for learning combat. + there are no consequences for massacring them, think didn't count as crime, because they were acting on behalf of their butthurt + when not wearing their armor they stay calm + they respawn :M:

bloodlover

Arcane
Also also Vivec is pointlessly huge.

Once you learn NPC locations and how to move around it's not that big of a deal. And besides, I think it's the biggest city in the game and
it's home to an actual living god
so it makes sense for it to be huge.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
All this talk made me reinstall this crap. :M:
A question. Are any of the official plugins worth a try? I noticed they are included and activate by default in my not removed from inventory version. Should i better disable them (not going to put any 3d party mods for this run)?

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
All this talk made me reinstall this crap. :M:
A question. Are any of the official plugins worth a try? I noticed they are included and activate by default in my not removed from inventory version. Should i better disable them (not going to put any 3d party mods for this run)?

Install them all none of them is Hearth-fire and Horse armor type derp, mainly new armors, music for taverns, ambient sounds for marches and new Dungeon from what I remember; and yes Morrowind is last Beth game which is playable in Vanilla form so go for it.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Ok, thanks. I already read the descriptions. It was in the launcher itself, but wasn't sure about derpness.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Btw, what do you think of Code patch? Is it essential? What about the added features? Most of them seem good and basically fixes derpy stuff from description, but how does it pan out in real life game?

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Have totally forgot some things about this game. Was there actually a way to use magic spells/items without assigning them to hotkey? I want only frequently used items/spells to hotkeys and use the seldom spells via choosing them individually, when i need, but can't find any way to do that in the UI.

DraQ

Arcane
Have totally forgot some things about this game. Was there actually a way to use magic spells/items without assigning them to hotkey? I want only frequently used items/spells to hotkeys and use the seldom spells via choosing them individually, when i need, but can't find any way to do that in the UI.
You can click them in the menu and you also have previous/next keys for items and for spells.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Goddamn, i have forgotten how much idiotic filler stuff this game has. And fanboys still said that ''the game is huge'' despite that the redundancy is even huger.:lol: Typical example - sewers. I can get that they put them in Vivec and and there is at least couple of notable places there, but why it is needed in place like Hlormaren. You simply waste ten minutes to kill few rats and realize there is nothing else there. I can bear the fact that most of the game's civilized places are huge shopping malls with wikipedia access points thrown here and there, but at least there are some points of interest and shopping is gooood. Empty redundant areas are fucking tits.

Btw, was it normal that some thugs in Hlormaren are aggressive and some not? I have fairly high Personality and Speechcraft by now so i was wondering if it makes some potential enemies have lowered ''attack'' variable.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Yeah, i have noticed that sometimes it's ok to go pass them, but if you hang around in front of their eyes for a while, they attack. Probably the natural charm wears of by that time. :lol:

Another thing, where i'm retarded again. How do you dispel spells like levitate. waterwalk etc.? Do i have to buy and use Dispel for all of that or is there a way to simply cancel active spell?

Israfael

Arcane
Race, Gender, Primary/Secondary skills don't really matter, your drug stash (aka potions of luck/intellect/levitation) does .. Just go to the Mages guild, do a few teleport trips between Caldera and Wolverine hall, cook up some shit, sell half of it, cook some more and observe Bethesda balance (tm) in action.

DraQ

Arcane
Goddamn, i have forgotten how much idiotic filler stuff this game has. And fanboys still said that ''the game is huge'' despite that the redundancy is even huger.:lol: Typical example - sewers. I can get that they put them in Vivec and and there is at least couple of notable places there, but why it is needed in place like Hlormaren.
Alternate exit/entry point?

By this logic Fallout is full of redundant filler because of its C&C - what's the point of having n approaches to solving a quest and m possible outcomes if one of each would perfectly suffice?
:M

Btw, was it normal that some thugs in Hlormaren are aggressive and some not? I have fairly high Personality and Speechcraft by now so i was wondering if it makes some potential enemies have lowered ''attack'' variable.
Personality and reputation modify NPC reactions systemically.
If a hostile NPC has low enough aggressiveness it may cause them to become non-hostile.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
By this logic Fallout is full of redundant filler because of its C&C - what's the point of having n approaches to solving a quest and m possible outcomes if one of each would perfectly suffice?
:M
wat
There is nothing in those sewers. Not quests, no monsters, no npcs. Just large empty areas ''to create ambience'' i guess. Colossal waste of time otherwise. At least when you play the game first time and don't evoid them. I played Morro so so long time ago i forgotten all about this and descended there again just to have these flashbacks. :negative:
Personality and reputation modify NPC reactions systemically.
If a hostile NPC has low enough aggressiveness it may cause them to become non-hostile.
Thought so. Even stealing stuff in some places just triggers angry voice file, but no actual aggression.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
There is no value in that connection. What's the difference if you enter the stronghold from shore or from the main entry?

Is your point that ''well, it's like real world, not every location has to be full of quests and NPCs that care about you shit''? If so, i don't think it works good in vidya. Or at least make it isometric that you can skip them through in a minute or so. Going through empty dungeon in FP mode with a pace of a snail (yeah yeah, i know about the boots) is not fun nor adds to value of the game.

This is actually one reason i will probably never finish FNV. Although there is much more stuff to do, more quests, npcs, it's just so slow to explore the world in FP. Especially those annoying tech vaults, where i can never tell if i already have been to this particular area or not. FP games should be a lot more focused and smaller imo.

DraQ

Arcane
There is no value in that connection. What's the difference if you enter the stronghold from shore or from the main entry?
  • It plays differently depending on the order of progression
  • I thought more complex level design is a good thing?
  • It avoids having to tackle a battlemage and archer on the roof from distance
  • it lets you access slave pens with little to no trouble (if you want to engage in abolitionists quests) - only three bandits you might even rat diplomaticize with sufficient reaction check, as opposed to a large number of much higher level ones on the upper floors
  • having a number of of empty-ish sewers makes finding one that is not and contains a daedric dagger or hidden Sheogorath's shrine all the sweeter. It's the same rule as with jump scares - having monster in every closet is not scary, having monster in about every tenth is.
Or at least make it isometric that you can skip them through in a minute or so.
Having to scroll and click all the time to cross an area is less tedious than activating auto-walk and just steering with your mouse.
Cool story, bro.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Guess my problem was also that when entering Hlomaren i'm already too powerful. These alternative approaches are probably useful for a complete low level scrub, but then again, the entrance from the seaside can only be stumbled on by complete random - if you decided to swim along the shore. Most people probably found it just like i did - from the inside.

Anyhow. The redundancy in this. Maaan...
Vivec is supposed to be huge metropole, but there is almost nothing but shops. They really should've squeezed it down like 3 times at least.

DraQ

Arcane
Most people probably found it just like i did - from the inside.

Most people also complained that mages sucked and didn't find medium armor and spears useful.

Anyhow. The redundancy in this. Maaan...
Vivec is supposed to be huge metropole, but there is almost nothing but shops. They really should've squeezed it down like 3 times at least.
Actually, the opposite, they should have squeezed in more content. Vivec's main problem is that it's made of monolithic, symmetrical modules similar to each other. It would really help if aside from main cantons it got smaller platforms with buildings on them. Would help orientation and sense of scale.

But you know what? Drop Morrowind. Go play Skyrim. It seem custom tailored to your tastes.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Wow, you really get butthurt about any criticism for Morrowind.
Look, i wouldn't be replaying it if i didn't like in one bit, but the things i pointed out can't be defended. You sound like a fanboy.
Actually, the opposite, they should have squeezed in more content.
That is the same thing what i said. It's a giant wallmart. Given the density of content there, it shoul've been 3 or 4 times smaller. It's nonsensical to have 5 armorer shops, 5 mage shops, 5 corner clubs, 5 temples etc. in one city that is made from copy pasted modules, while there is maybe one or two quest people at any given canton. Making it less symmetrical would be just a cosmetic improvement.
But you know what? Drop Morrowind. Go play Skyrim. It seem custom tailored to your tastes.
Let's pretend i didn't notice the obvious :butthurt: and take your suggestion at face value - how so?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom