Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind is just a plain bad game

Wyrmlord

Arcane
These days, during holiday season, I don't have much to do throughout the day. So I don't feel tired. So I don't go to sleep easily. So I use a special sleeping aid. I play Morrowind.

The tedium and boredom of it is so soporific, it achieves intended purpose immediately, as just 15 minutes of playing it put me to sleep. This is not some cheap, sarcastic jab at Morrowind. It's exactly what I do and it's exactly what happens every night.

Take the Neverwinter Nights OC. Now remove all half interesting quests in it and just leave a smaller number of fetch quests remaining. Now reduce the number of enemies to one-tenth, so that a dungeon may have 14 rooms with 14 enemies, one for each room. Don't want more than two enemies on the screen at the same time. Now, in order to increase the playtime, ensure that each fetch quest takes 5 times as much time as it should to complete a single quest, through the use of long, long, long walks to and from a dungeon. The long walks take so long, because your character "runs" in slow motion. Congratulations, because you have watered down the NWN OC to less content and less enemies to fight, but increased the playtime through surplus time walking.

Just to keep people's interest, make sure to use a brownish grey world with weird creatures to keep your interests. Giant mushrooms! Cliff racers! Swamps!

By the way, this sleeping aid works successfully on everyone I know. My cousin, my brother, my college classmate. Morrowind puts everyone to sleep.

Majestic47

Learned
Same shit with fallout 1 , old greying man gives briefing dire circumstances water chit blah blah. Oh loooook a cave full of rats. let's farm for exp with my pistol oh wait, let's use knife instead to save money. Killed 20 after resting, using doctor, first aid to farm more exp.

Jesus, horrible horrible shit. The first town features like 10 sec of spoken dialogue and another 1 stupid dungeon to fight cloned scorpions. Even a cave with bears in Oblivion had shit to loot. This one had nothing but 10 kilos of tails. Worthless shit. The town didn't even react to me ripping off shit from their shelves. This is GOTY? Even Ultima 7 party reacted to me eating their mutton chop off the market. Fallout? More like F.O.a.D (Fuckoffanddie)

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
The town didn't even react to me ripping off shit from their shelves.

I am sure you're trolling, but the quoted line is untrue. Shady Sands citizens DO react to you shuffling through their belongings.

the_shadow

Arcane
Morrowind is rather lacking in gameplay, isn't it? I'd call it a hiking simulator.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
i liked Morrowind, a big open world and good atmosphere. Sorry that you have to walk somewhere and dont get a quest arrow

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I agree man, Serious Sam is a better RPG - there are more enemies in a room and you don't have to walk from dungeon to dungeon.

the_shadow

Arcane
zerotol said:
i liked Morrowind, a big open world and good atmosphere. Sorry that you have to walk somewhere and dont get a quest arrow

Oh, I agree that Morrowind is a big open world with a good atmosphere. Morrowind is a beautiful sandbox. But it *is* lacking in actual gameplay.

Antagonist

Liturgist
I could never really get into actually playing Morrowind despite its unquestionably fascinating setting, but for some time I roamed the world in search of the many tomes lying around which provided me with far more entertainment than the actual game did. I've been planning to try a heavily modded version of the game for a couple of years now but every time I look at the add huge-ass lists of recommended mods and their manifold interdependencies I simply lose the will the invest large portions of my limited free time into an endeavor with questionable outcome.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Or the dwemer puzzle box?
lol, I remember that one. Walking into the Dwemer ruins, I remember that there was a room right as you are entering the place and descending down the ramp. While my first thought was to continue descending down that ramp, I instead entered that room, and found that the puzzle box was right there. Checking out the rest of the place, I realized it was much much larger.

Daggerfall had such tricks. The King of Worms was actually near the entrance to his cave, and the entire huge cavern was a deliberate distraction for the player. So I had this instinct to remember to try the first diversion I see, instead of walking onward on the straight path.

One thing I don't like about Morrowind is how underpopulated it is. Both with non-hostiles and enemies. Every "town" has enough non-guard people to be counted on the fingers of your hand wandering in the streets. There is only a slightly larger number of indoor people. And enemies too are scant few. Each tomb, ruin, or whatever will have you fighting no more than two people at a time. And you run out of enemies quickly in each place. In Daggerfall, levels were covered thick with enemies end to end.

attackfighter

Magister
Wyrmloard thinks a cool idea for multiplayer would be to watch a player controlled dragon fight guards in Skyrim.

He also thinks that Santa Monica is the worst part of VtMB

He also thinks dialogue systems with preset lines suck.

His opinion is invalid.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
He has one valid complaint there, and that is low population of enemies and NPCs in the game.

Other than that Morrowind is an unique and interesting experience. Quests may not be the best but they are only an excuse to explore the huge world of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom