Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind is just a plain bad game

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
This is the exact same position I hold. It's not the exploration. We all love exploration. It's the painfully slow walking speed.
Boots of speed Wyrmie, learn when to use them.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Stick to economics, Prateek.

aa-Ben-Bernanke-hand-over-head-wincing.jpg

Who need a game when we can fap to your new avatar...

I've a special avatar lined up for the needs of the Aussie bros here....VOILA!!!!

Ermm

Erudite
I played Morrowind for like a month before uninstall. I just didn't liked it, and I felt that I was just forcing myself to play it.

The same is for every other Elder Scrolls game. They all are just a big yawning fests.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Great exploration and atmosphere but terrible/broken game play mechanics (speaking mostly of character development, itemization, how they handled stats, enchanting, etc). Every time I try to play the latter always inhibits my enjoyment of the former.

Sul

Savant
Morrowind is a "game" of concept, not gameplay. You can see how the gameplay design of the quests is pretty basic but their concept, the themes they deal with, gives the charm that Morrowind is know for. Take House Telvanni for exemple, their quests are very basic, but their themes, their concept, the millenia old wizards going mad and completely closing themselves from everything that happens outside their mushroom towers and the political plots the player takes part, that's the charm of Morrowind and TES in general (Oblivion aside), the apparent standard fantasy stuff coexisting with something more alien and original without shoving it down the player's throat.

Also this.

vwxwrp.jpg

i6crpv.jpg

21kgkno.jpg

Bad game? Maybe. Plain? No way.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Always liked to collect historic books and novels. 2990 the last year of 2nd era, Real Berenziach or Wolf Queen being my favorites.... also the Decimus Scoti advetures in Valenwood and Argonia for fun.... very anti heroic.... anybody found 4th and next parts of the latter?

DraQ

Arcane
:hmmm:

2/10

A Morrowind troll that fails to attract DraQ for 3 pages is an unsuccessful one.

Anyway, low population of enemies was actually good thing, because it helped the verisimilitude. You shouldn't end up slaughtering armies with your dick in any moderately believable world. The bad thing is that all the enemies are relatively weak and unable to use interesting spells or tactics.

As for walking around it is the vital part of the gameplay in an unexplored area, and penalty for not having the foresight to avoid backtracking in the explored one. There is also multitude of ways to travel really fast awaiting the resourceful, even if they don't have awkward humanoid feet to put BoBS on.

Sul

Savant
You shouldn't end up slaughtering armies with your dick in any moderately believable world.
Uhum.:smug:

Vivec Sermon Fourteen said:
Vivec lay with Molag Bal for eighty days and eight, though headless. In that time, the Prince placed the warrior-poet's feet back and filled them with the blood of Daedra. In this way Vivec's giant-form remained forever harmless to good earth. The Pomegranate Banquet brought many spirits back from the dead so that the sons and daughters of the union had much to eat besides fruit.
The Duke of Scamps came while the banquet was still underway, and Molag Bal looked on the seven pennants with anger. The King of Rape had become necessary and therefore troubled for the rest of time. His legions and Kh-Utta's fell into open war, but the children of Molag Bal and Vivec were too elaborate in power and form.
The Duke of Scamps therefore became a lesser thing, as did all his own children. Molag Bal said to them: 'You are the sons of liars, dogs, and wolf-headed women.' They have been useless to summon ever since.
The holy one returned at last, Vehk, golden with wisdom. His head found its body had been tenderly used. He mentioned this to Molag Bal, who told him that he should thank the Barons of Move Like This, 'For I have yet to learn how to refine my rapture. My love is accidentally shaped like a spear.'
So Vivec, who had a grain of Ayem's mercy, set about to teach Molag Bal in the ways of belly-magic. They took their spears out and compared them. Vivec bit new words onto the King of Rape's so that it might give more than ruin to the uninitiated. This has since become a forbidden ritual, though people still practice it in secret.
Here is why: The Velothi and demons and monsters that were watching all took out their own spears. There was much biting and the earth became wet. And this was the last laugh of Molag Bal:
'Watch as the earth shall crack, heavy with so much power, that should have been forever unalike!'
Then that stretch of badlands that had been the site of the marriage fragmented and threw fire. And a race that is no more but that was terrible at the time to behold came forth. Born of the biters, that is all they did, and they ran amok across the lands of Veloth and even to the shores of Red Mountain.
But Vivec made of his spear a more terrible thing, from a secret he had bitten off from the King of Rape. And so he sent Molag Bal tumbling into the crack of the biters and swore forever that he would not deem the King beautiful ever again.
Vivec wept as he slew all those around him with his terrible new spear. He named it MUATRA, which is Milk Taker, and even the Chimeri mystics knew his fury. Anyone struck by Vivec at this time turned barren and withered into bone shapes. The path of bones became a sentence for the stars to read, and the heavens have never known children since. Vivec hunted down the biters one by one, and all their progeny, and he killed them all by means of the Nine Apertures, and the wise still hide theirs from Muatra.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Vivec Sermon Nine or 'how The Voice is overrated' said:
BARFOK, Maid of Planes, who appeared as a winged human with lick-encrusted spear, had the powers of Event Denouement. Battles fought against her would always end in victory for Barfok, because she could shape outcomes by singing. Four Chimeri villages and two more Dwemeri strongholds were destroyed by her decision enforcement. Vivec had to stuff her mouth with his milk finger to keep her from singing Veloth into ruin.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I just wanted to use this as an Elder Scrolls lore thread, and ask:

What if the gods in Elder Scrolls worked in the same way as gods in Terry Pratchett's work did?

Although Akatosh appeared in Oblivion, gods in TES seem to be faint, silent, hidden, and perhaps not real. We only know them through magical blessings that priests themselves may have placed on altars. So there is a possibility that only daedric princes are real (since they actually mingle among mortals), and the gods are non-entities made of pure belief. Even Akatosh in Oblivion may have been purely an illusion created by Martin Septim's dark magics.

In Daggerfall, Arena, and Morrowind, the Nine Divine's presence is almost non-existent.

However, they could also work in the Terry Pratchett fashion. They might exist on a plane of human belief, and human belief fashions them into entire living superbeings with all their power. But if people stop believing in them, they may become like the Small Gods about whom most neither care nor know. Then they lose their powers.

It would explain why different factions in Tamriel's world believe in entirely different gods, or why an entire set of Old Gods are worshiped by smaller groups. The Old Gods probably exist, but have seen their power fade away to near non-existence.

Majestic47

Learned
If it isn't real, then why did Martin Sheen turned into the living embodiment of Akatosh when he smashed the Amulet of Kings to battle the Daedra Prince from Oblivion?

LoPan

Learned
Poor story design. Also, dark magic--the Septim line could be badass dark wizards, which would further explain why they are so keen on a pure bloodline. The gods could be a way to drive blame away from the throne, and since the elves are inherently more magically apt than any other race shows that TES is indeed a world where an Argonian, no matter how hard he did grind, could never throw as strong a fireball as a high elf.

Though it seems to me to simply be very poor design and use of lore. If only these theories were obviously true then TES would probably be a lot more interesting.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Why my Nevarine met Tiber Septim aka Wulf in finale of Morrowind?

180px-MW-npc-Wulf.jpg

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Wulf

Meet Wulf

Though not really a quest per-se, once you obtain Wraithguard from Vivec in the course of the Main Quest, the Imperial warrior Wulf will appear in Ghostgate's Tower of Dusk.
Speak to him and he will ask you to carry an Old Man's Lucky Coin to Red Mountain as a favor. If you ask anyone in Ghostgate about Wulf, they will not know him or that he is there. After you leave the temple, he will disappear for good.
[edit] A Lucky Coin

The coin isn't anything special in itself, but when you accept it you gain a new power, the Luck of the Emperor (Fortify Luck 20 pts for 120 secs). It turns out that Wulf was actually the manifestation of the god Tiber Septim. If you talk to Lalatia Varian at the Imperial Chapels in Ebonheart, she will explain this event to you and you'll gain two Reputation points. You'll also be able to hear about it through the rumor mill, as any Imperial Guard will be impressed that you saw Tiber Septim in the flesh.
  • Wulf doesn't yield any special items if you kill him, but interestingly he carries a decent amount of moon sugar.

Sul

Savant
I just wanted to use this as an Elder Scrolls lore thread, and ask:

What if the gods in Elder Scrolls worked in the same way as gods in Terry Pratchett's work did?

Although Akatosh appeared in Oblivion, gods in TES seem to be faint, silent, hidden, and perhaps not real. We only know them through magical blessings that priests themselves may have placed on altars. So there is a possibility that only daedric princes are real (since they actually mingle among mortals), and the gods are non-entities made of pure belief. Even Akatosh in Oblivion may have been purely an illusion created by Martin Septim's dark magics.

In Daggerfall, Arena, and Morrowind, the Nine Divine's presence is almost non-existent.

However, they could also work in the Terry Pratchett fashion. They might exist on a plane of human belief, and human belief fashions them into entire living superbeings with all their power. But if people stop believing in them, they may become like the Small Gods about whom most neither care nor know. Then they lose their powers.

It would explain why different factions in Tamriel's world believe in entirely different gods, or why an entire set of Old Gods are worshiped by smaller groups. The Old Gods probably exist, but have seen their power fade away to near non-existence.
The Aedra is real, or was if you only consider Mundus.
After the creation of the Hub (Mundus) the Aedra noticed they have been tricked by Lorkhan, after tearing his heart apart the Aedra decide to escape of this creation of everlasting imperfection. The stars on the sky are actual holes used as escape routes by the Aedra to Aetherius (with Sun being Magnus hole). Some Aedra decided to stay, sacrificing themselves in the name of order and stability of the hub, these ones are the 8 Divines, the ones that become the Earth Bones (laws of nature).
This stuff about Martin is very questionable. Remember that he destroyed the Amulet (one of the towers that hold Mundus in place) when he used it, I think he harnessed whatever magic that thing had and used it to become an aspect of a dead Aedra.

Why my Nevarine met Tiber Septim aka Wulf in finale of Morrowind?

180px-MW-npc-Wulf.jpg

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Wulf
Tiber is not a Divine. This is just Imperial bullshit.

Achilles

Arcane
I love Morrowind THIS MUCH.

Sure I can see the flaws in it, but the good vastly outweigh the bad.

CorpseZeb

Learned
After reading so many post about "sterile exploration" of Morrowind wasteland, I think, where problem is. Cancer markers. That is. If you don't know, where exactly your destination is (only have a vague description of location, like "south of grave of someone probably very ghostly and somewhat dead"), your tiresomeness level never goes dangerously low, because without Cancer Markers, you never feel especially obligated to go there. Gothic series has similar "mentally tireless" relaxed exploration mode. Now, in the Oblivion+ (and Fallout 3+) there are small Cancer Markers of point of interest, which "force" (I mean: they making a pressure of some sort) player to explore - go there, see something and press button or kill mud crab. Wee. Now - this is a wearyingly thingly... for sure.

Sul

Savant
This. Anyone that achieves CHIM represents Lorkhan, not in the sense of the person called Lorkhan (if we can call it a "person") but their role in the dream of the Godhead. Except Vivec I think, he achieved CHIM using the power of Lorkhan's heart, not being his aspect.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Okay okay, enough of this nonsense.

Sir, I have finished Betrayal at Krondor three times. I even LPed it. Exploring a giant world with extremely vague descriptions IS NOT A PROBLEM FOR ME.

In BaK, you don't just get a vague description. You are told about the object, not where it is. You are simply told to wander around hundreds of square kilometers of in-game wilderness, hoping to find a tiny chest in the middle of nowhere. Sometimes, you are supposed to cast the right spell in the right location for something to happen. But you can easily make a margin of error going a few degrees further northeast of where you are supposed to be, and cast the spell in the wrong place. You just can't tell, because there is a massive world represented on a small map, and the margin of error is great due to the scaling of the map and the world.

Sometimes, you have explored everywhere, only to realize with a lucky guess that a magician has cast an invisible mountain to fool you, and you can actually walk through the mountain. That's how much difficult BaK's exploration is, and Morrowind is nothing. It took me one yawn-worthy session to quickly find the Dwemer Puzzle Box AND the remains of the Dunmer from the tomb, and it was child's play compared to anything I ever did in BaK. So stop wasting your time with that Idiot Gamer Strawman.

Do you know what the difference between BaK and Morrowind is? Firstly, that BaK's exploration is much much tougher. Secondly, BaK allows you to adjust movement speed. So you can move faster and not wait 15 minutes walking between point A and point B. Hell, Morrowind has an AUTOWALK button, so you can leave autowalk on, and go do something else while your character does the job for you. You people who think Morrowind is a difficult or a hardcore have obviously never played a genuinely difficult game in your life, but seek to lecture others as if you have.

Obviously, saying something bad about Morrowind is like insulting somebody's mother, because you guys make cheap jabs about the intelligence of the player who does not like the game. Except I have played, finished, and solved the hardest puzzles in games far far harder than Morrowind. So again, stop wasting your time with that Idiot Gamer Strawman.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom