Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind, looking back, is at best a 4/10 game.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Morrorwind is the only acceptable bethesda game, but comparing it to gothic is blasphemy. Also fuck everyone who shits on gothic, you dont know rpgs.

Adamaklas

Literate
Morrorwind is the only acceptable bethesda game, but comparing it to gothic is blasphemy. Also fuck everyone who shits on gothic, you dont know rpgs.
just what i was thinking when i had to sell my 12 year old virginity to buy that radeon 9550 for Gothic 2 ><
Guess that's what newfags do !

rado907

Savant
I never liked Gothic 1 :/. Took me 3 tries to get into Gothic 2, but boy was it worth it. And I enjoyed Gothic 3 a lot and beat it upon release.

I like games where there are many unique towns I can explore... Morrowind is incredible in this aspect - each town in the game has its own vibe and architecture. Gothic 3 was also pretty cool in that I could personally liberate every single town from the orcs.

One other thing I really like in RPG's is seamless transition between wilderness and towns. Morrowind and Gothic 3 had that.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Personally, I didn't think Oblivion was a very good game.

The po-faced seriousness of this statement makes me want to shake you by the hand because I'm sure I will never again encounter a sentence so desperately craving a sarcastic response, and yet I'm strangely bereft.

Back on the subject, I probably spent more time on Morrowind than any other game ever. For a while I wondered if I'd ever move on and ever play another game again. Lest ye judge me, Codex, let me say it was a similar feeling of this being the only game in the world that I felt when playing Ultima 4 for the first time. I can't think of a higher accolade. I'm not sure I could play it now since I don't have the patience but at the time it was world-consuming. It also threw Oblivion into sharp relief when it was released.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Morrowind has its flaws like any other game, but I fondly remember staying up way too late on nights when I had school the next day, until finally coming across a bed in-game and realizing that I really needed to sleep. That's the mark of a good game.

Leitz

Learned
Morrowind has its flaws like any other game, but I fondly remember staying up way too late on nights when I had school the next day, until finally coming across a bed in-game and realizing that I really needed to sleep. That's the mark of a good game.
No, that's the mark of nostalgia goggles. There are a lot of mediocre games that I like only because I played them when I was young and have fond memories with. I didn't play Morrowind back then and I think it's overrated shit.

Keldryn

Arcane
All of the Elder Scrolls games (other than Skyrim, which I haven't played) have been essentially the same experience for me: I get lost in the game and spend 10-20 hours exploring the world and just trying out different things. Then I suddenly get the realization that I've pretty much seen all the game has to offer, and the rest of the game is just going to be more of the same. This was most pronounced in Daggerfall, but Morrowind and Oblivion still suffered from too much overly generic content.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
What's with this new wave of "Joined: 2015" trying to troll the whole place by starting topics such as this one? There's, like, one a week now. It's not even funny any more, just trite and dull. I wonder, are they just bored users from tumblr, reddit and gamespot forums? Try harder, newfags, much harder. Also, that's what she said.

BTW, OP, welcome to the Codex.

Castozor

Scholar
My eyes might be covered by nine inch nostalgia goggles when it comes to Morrowind but I loved it and still do. Combat shit? Yeah it wasn't very good but passable enough for me, depending on character build. Economy easily broken? Yup, but don't abuse the shit out of training and you should be okay. 4k gold and best medium amour in 3 hours? I'm sorry but I'm going to call bullshit on that unless you meta gamed/were lucky.
Morrowind was/is flawed in a lot of ways but the world building was amazing. Sure it was static, as if everyone forgot to move on with their lives the moment the PC hits the shore but the continent with it's factions and lore was great in my opinion. The "level up whatever you want by using stuff you like" was nice in theory even if horribly broken in practice.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Doesn't matter if you can only do it through meta-gaming, what matters is it utterly fails in terms of balancing/being a challenging experience. Exploration and world design is great but it's far too easy to overcome any and all obstacles through potions and spells.

Castozor

Scholar
Doesn't matter if you can only do it through meta-gaming, what matters is it utterly fails in terms of balancing/being a challenging experience. Exploration and world design is great but it's far too easy to overcome any and all obstacles through potions and spells.
Eh fair enough. Nowadays that might be a concern of mine as well but back then, and even now when it comes to Morrowind, I just liked walking around in this new and interesting world with loads of factions and history. I can see it fails at being a properly challenging game but when I play(ed) Morrowind all I wanted was to find out more about the world and the people within it. Call me a storyfag for that if you must, but for Morrowind great worldbuilding and passable combat/character building was enough for me. YMMV.

M0RBUS

Augur
Meh, I guess it's a specific kind of game. It's a dungeon crawler first and foremost, so...

The character system though, it was absolute shit.

It's true. I wasted an estimated 400~ hours of my life on this game in my senior year of college back a decade or so ago, and I'm sorry but the game just isn't good at all. Combat isn't satisfying, and yes I know how to play the game and not miss, but that doesn't excuse it for being so poor. I haven't played the game in around 8-10 years and I've forgotten most item places, but somehow I am only a level 2 mage and I'm wrecking the fuck out of anyone in my way with custom spells. I've also accumulated 4329 gold in around 3 hours play time, and I have full Indoril, the best medium armor set in the game. This is a problem.

Don't get me wrong, I like walking in my RPG's and exploring; but with Morrowind there isn't a whole lot to explore. Enemy variety is mediocre at best, and dungeon layout isn't any better. 90% of dungeons have utter garbage loot, uninteresting layout and have no purpose. Don't get me started on the dialogue. Most NPCs have no reason to exist, because they all spout the same damn lines. Bethesda should have just made the NPCs like regular CRPG villagers: they'll say a prerecorded line of dialogue, and that's it. Another ridiculous issue I've run into is the fact that I can join any faction in the game, even if they hate each other, just by bribing the individuals that I have to talk to. FFS I can be a member of the mages guild AND Telvani, two factions that are huge rivals, just because I have money. At least they got the houses right, you can't join House Hlaalu and House Redoran for example.

Well this game is semi-playable I guess, unlike modern Beth RPGs. I'd much rather play Planescape Torment, Fallout 1/2, or other CRPG any other day of the week...
Meet me in the Thunderdome.

corvus

Arcane
Meet me in the Thunderdome.

Put DraQ on your shoulders while you're in there.

latest

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Being the sequel to Dagerfall is Morrowind's main flaw, and it's not one I'll ever forgive. Bethesda had started to change and it started to show.

Being the sequel to Dagerfall is Morrowind's main flaw, and it's not one I'll ever forgive. Bethesda had started to change and it started to show.
The New Testament was the sequel to the Old Testament, and was more acceptable and palatable to a wide audience, but was still Good in of itself even if it set the stage for the worse things to come. Namaste.

rohand

Cipher
To me, looking back, the Elder Scrolls series went like this:
Arena - never played much, hope to fix that one day.
Daggerfall - goddamned dungeons from hell (had lots of fun with them though).
Morrowind - 'twas the first time I was awed by worldbuilding, seeing those alien ruins in the distance and wondering what's in there.
Oblivion - couldn't play vanilla even with a gun to my head; OOO fixed that.
Skyrim - similar to Oblivion; mods fixed it.

But one thing they have in common is that they have been increasingly easier to break (as in, rendered pointlessly easy with little effort).

ThatsRightImInIt

Educated
The amount of rampant shitposting in this thread unbearable, is this normal for RPGcodex? I'm from /v/ and god damn it's on par with what I'm used to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom