Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind, looking back, is at best a 4/10 game.

rado907

Savant
My brother really dislikes the Elder Scrolls games and never plays them. He liked BGI&II and Fallout 2... But the games he really loved over the years were Diablo 2, Warcraft 3, Stacraft1&2, Counter Strike, Guild Wars, and Dota - games that are competitive, that reward inventiveness in builds, games in which you improve with practice, games where you get to stomp others...
On the other hand, I have friend who has never been interested in becoming good at games - and he has sunk 500+ hours into Skyrim. He just finds the world fun and likes walking around it and doing stuff.

In this vein of thought, you can play RPGs in two ways - you can set off to explore a world and role-play - or you can set off to build a monstrously powerful charsheet. Both approaches are legit and extremely fun when realized correctly.

The thing is, you can't approach TES from the perspective of power gaming. TES titles are not designed to be played that way. You are meant to explore the world and do your thing. Gaining power and items is something that just happens. Becoming powerful is not an end - it is not even a means - it is just something that happens to you as you pursue the true goal of the game - which is to explore the world while behaving the way you want to behave. For example, I like playing Paladin-type heroes - and so I never join the Assassin's guild.

Thus, when my brother plays BGII, he has to solo the game to feel challenged and to feel powerful. While I can't countenance playing the game without Minsc and with less than a full party.

So yeah, power gamers (and power-gaming is perfectly legit) have plenty of reasons to hate Morrowind... It's not a game for them.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
In this vein of thought, you can play RPGs in two ways - you can set off to explore a world and role-play - or you can set off to build a monstrously powerful charsheet. Both approaches are legit and extremely fun when realized correctly.

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Stormwind_fallacy

The thing is, you can't approach TES from the perspective of power gaming. TES titles are not designed to be played that way. You are meant to explore the world and do your thing. Gaining power and items is something that just happens. Becoming powerful is not an end - it is not even a means - it is just something that happens to you as you pursue the true goal of the game - which is to explore the world while behaving the way you want to behave. For example, I like playing Paladin-type heroes - and so I never join the Assassin's guild.

mondblut

I can't countenance playing the game without Minsc
:dgaider:

mondblut

Arcane

mondblut

It's hardly news that TES games require zero skill of any kind, and are specifically designed from the ground up with those incapable of getting a draw at tic tac toe in mind.

m_s0

Arcane
Being the sequel to Dagerfall is Morrowind's main flaw, and it's not one I'll ever forgive. Bethesda had started to change and it started to show.
The New Testament was the sequel to the Old Testament, and was more acceptable and palatable to a wide audience, but was still Good in of itself even if it set the stage for the worse things to come. Namaste.
:lol:

Cthulhu_is_love

The New Testament was the sequel to the Old Testament, and was more acceptable and palatable to a wide audience, but was still Good in of itself even if it set the stage for the worse things to come.

Dude, the New Testament is completley popamole shit. They fucked up the character of god and this new main character just starts healing everyone instead of starting war against other tribes.:decline:

4/10 :troll:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Morrowind was a shit game. Why is that now brought up as a controversy?
(yes, good hiking simulator an all, then again, i think Skyrim is better at that)

DraQ

Arcane
Thus, when my brother plays BGII, he has to solo the game to feel challenged and to feel powerful. While I can't countenance playing the game without Minsc and with less than a full party.
Playing party based games solo might be worthwhile as a one time challenge, but it makes them so much poorer even in terms of gameplay alone that I have a hard time understanding someone who would play this way by default.

So yeah, power gamers (and power-gaming is perfectly legit) have plenty of reasons to hate Morrowind... It's not a game for them.
I don't agree that game being not for you is a legitimate grounds for hate (unless it's Sims or something, that is :P ).
If the game is a sequel of a game that was for you or if it deceived you into thinking that it's your type of game - sure - but TES series has never been viable grounds for powergaming.
It's like going into an ethnic restaurant and loudly bitching how much you hate the sort of food it serves.
:retarded:
:nocountryforshitposters:

Those two approaches not being mutually exclusive doesn't mean that a game may not succeed at one but fail miserably at the other.

The amount of rampant shitposting in this thread unbearable, is this normal for RPGcodex?
Only in threads with shitty OP.
:M
For the record we've been having pretty much the same thread over and over roughly once a year.
Anyway, I think you deserve need a more to-the-point reply from me, after all, so lets get started.
Blah blah. This is a problem.
It is. No one is deluded enough to claim Morrowind of all games is flawless.

but with Morrowind there isn't a whole lot to explore.
As opposed to?
Because I don't think I recall a single cRPG with nearly as much to explore.

Enemy variety is mediocre at best
Ok, what enemies does it miss?
Because the best way to judge completeness of something is asking what does it miss, not what does it have.
And the only thing Morrowind's bestiary doesn't have are all the kobolds, goblins, hobgoblins, xvarts, gnolls and assorted shit that has no reason to exist in the gameworld other than providing player with loot and XP.
:hero:
Good fucking riddance.

and dungeon layout isn't any better.
Depends on the dungeon. Small ones are meh, large ones tend to be pretty good.

Overall they tend to lack diverse dungeon sections, but make up for this with use of z-axis.
90% of dungeons have utter garbage loot
Just like you can't make effective scares by making monsters pop out of every closet or vent, you can't make effective exploration by placing phat lewt in every corner of every dungeon.
Also, phat lewt, by very definition must be rare, otherwise it's no longer phat lewt but baseline garbage.

and have no purpose.
Which ones have no purpose?

Dunmer ancestral tombs have a clearly defined one. Daedric ruins were centers of daedra worship in the past and still serve secret daedric cults. Dunmer strongholds date back to at least First Council and have been occupied by various groups after their abandonment. Dwemer ruins are badly collapsed but still functioning sections of Dwemer underground cities. Caves are caves, also occupied by whomever found them handy. Old Velothi towers are another relics of ancient times, usually sought out and occupied by rogue Telvanni. Mines are mines. Eggmines are kwama colonies exploited for eggs.

Everything I see has its clearly defined place in the gameworld.

Don't get me started on the dialogue. Most NPCs have no reason to exist, because they all spout the same damn lines.
You have it ass backwards. Their perfectly sufficient reason to exist is that they are part of the gameworld.
You just might not have much of a specific reason to talk to them.

Bethesda should have just made the NPCs like regular CRPG villagers: they'll say a prerecorded line of dialogue, and that's it.
Preferably without names which just a step away from giving questgivers nice shiny "!" floating over their heads, so why not go all the way through, am I right?
Anyway this is the way they went in SR (it seems to be a better choice if a game is supposed to be fully voiced for whatever reason) but it has an important caveat - you can't approach a random joe on the street and ask him how to get to South Wall Cornerclub or what the fuck is a foyada the locals seem to be mentioning all the time. In Morrowind you can.

Morrowind's approach is superior, even though it isn't exactly the kind of RPG where you talk to all the NPCs because they tell interesting stories about their emotional lifes. Morrowind just isn't character-centric, you have PS:T for that.

Another ridiculous issue I've run into is the fact that I can join any faction in the game, even if they hate each other, just by bribing the individuals that I have to talk to. FFS I can be a member of the mages guild AND Telvani, two factions that are huge rivals, just because I have money.
Bribing and speechcraft are OP and borderline broken. If they weren't faction relationships matrix would have had much greater impact.
Still, given that there *are* hard limitations in place for great houses and that there are some explicitly written interactions in some quests while member of mutually hostile factions (FG-TG, TG-Hlaalu, MG-Telvanni) - for example you can show that Dwemer Animunculi book to Edwinna if and only if on a Telvanni quest and a member of MG - I'd say that the level of mutual exclusivity is intentional. Hell, the MQ makes it almost obligatory to become hortator of all the houses.

Well this game is semi-playable I guess, unlike modern Beth RPGs. I'd much rather play Planescape Torment, Fallout 1/2, or other CRPG any other day of the week...
But would you rather take PS:T or Morrowind with you to desert island? Because you can play Morrowind over and over multiple times, while PS:T doesn't really support more than a few different playthroughs.

Anyway, back to Morrowind.
Morrowind is probably the only game I've been keeping judging higher and higher as the time passed (this must be how that nostalgia you NTs keep talking about feels like).
The reason is simple. On the surface Morrowind is just broken mess. But whereas most games have just the stuff on the surface they communicate explicitly to the player or maybe a single hidden layer, Morrowind has only small fraction of stuff explicitly telegraphed to the player. I fully expect an average player to miss 90% of information laying in plain sight in places they visited and explored in Morrowind, partially because of how computer games are conditioning us to think:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...do-people-like-morrowind-so-much.76548/page-7

And again we've all discussed this and I have explained it to various clueless individuals more than once - I have no obligation *not* to shitpost if someone fails to use search.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
This thread looking back, is at best a 4/10 thread.:smug:

OP trying to hard, saw his post back in the Morrowind thread, probably alt. Well, everyone around are alts so... nothing suprising.

Kalasanty11

Learned
RPGCodex, looking forward, will be at best 4/10 site. I can already see people praising Fallout 3, comparing it to what kind of garbage Fallout 6 is.

rado907

Savant
I'm with you on this one - power-gaming and role-playing are not mutually exclusive. My point is that TES games are not designed for power gaming. BG2 can be played in both ways. Morrowind can't. There are 5-min long speedruns of Morrowind, ffs.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Never understood how Morrowind wound up in the top 10 in that last poll.
Newfags.

Let me quote the Codex 2003 year in review, by good ol' Spazmo:
It's the same old hopelessly dull Morrowind gameplay. You run around fairly pretty countryside beating the tar out of hordes of stupid cliff racers doing completely pointless quests that involve murdering people for no real reason and occasionally 'talking' to the walking search engines the game calls NPCs. Morrowind is a terrible game and the expansions for it don't seem to fix any of that horror.
This.

Honestly, it's threads full of proBeth shit posting like this that make THE FINAL SOLUTION necessary. ITZ coming, Bethtards. Someday, we're going to take your stupid games, your stupid opinions and YOU and we're going to lock you into a subforum.

And then we're going to light it on fire.
:fight:

Morkar Left

Everything that has ever been created in every field of human endeavor has been nothing but utterly overrated garbage that appeals exclusively to retards, so I don't see why Morrowind would be any different.

The quintessential codex!

:bravo:

Gothic is the most overrated piece of crap from here to watchwitz. i'd rather play unmodded oblivion.

j3uJvFv.png

Reapa

Doom Preacher
My brother really dislikes the Elder Scrolls games and never plays them. He liked BGI&II and Fallout 2... But the games he really loved over the years were Diablo 2, Warcraft 3, Stacraft1&2, Counter Strike, Guild Wars, and Dota - games that are competitive, that reward inventiveness in builds, games in which you improve with practice, games where you get to stomp others...
On the other hand, I have friend who has never been interested in becoming good at games - and he has sunk 500+ hours into Skyrim. He just finds the world fun and likes walking around it and doing stuff.

powergamers need to stick to rogue likes.
if you shit all over morrowind because you're a powergamer, it's not the game that it's flawed but you.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
I'm with you on this one - power-gaming and role-playing are not mutually exclusive. My point is that TES games are not designed for power gaming. BG2 can be played in both ways. Morrowind can't. There are 5-min long speedruns of Morrowind, ffs.
there is no such thing as a 5 min speed run of morrowind since it's an exploration game. just because you kill some dude from a quest chain does not mean you played the game, it means you're an idiot if you suggest it.
EDIT: retardo allready

Archibald

Arcane
I liked Morrowind, but these claims about "such exploration, much wow" are about as ridiculous as "Gothic is worse than unmoded Oblivion".

Xi

Arcane
It's true. I wasted an estimated 400~ hours of my life on this game in my senior year of college back a decade or so ago, and I'm sorry but the game just isn't good at all. Combat isn't satisfying, and yes I know how to play the game and not miss, but that doesn't excuse it for being so poor. I haven't played the game in around 8-10 years and I've forgotten most item places, but somehow I am only a level 2 mage and I'm wrecking the fuck out of anyone in my way with custom spells. I've also accumulated 4329 gold in around 3 hours play time, and I have full Indoril, the best medium armor set in the game. This is a problem.

Don't get me wrong, I like walking in my RPG's and exploring; but with Morrowind there isn't a whole lot to explore. Enemy variety is mediocre at best, and dungeon layout isn't any better. 90% of dungeons have utter garbage loot, uninteresting layout and have no purpose. Don't get me started on the dialogue. Most NPCs have no reason to exist, because they all spout the same damn lines. Bethesda should have just made the NPCs like regular CRPG villagers: they'll say a prerecorded line of dialogue, and that's it. Another ridiculous issue I've run into is the fact that I can join any faction in the game, even if they hate each other, just by bribing the individuals that I have to talk to. FFS I can be a member of the mages guild AND Telvani, two factions that are huge rivals, just because I have money. At least they got the houses right, you can't join House Hlaalu and House Redoran for example.

Well this game is semi-playable I guess, unlike modern Beth RPGs. I'd much rather play Planescape Torment, Fallout 1/2, or other CRPG any other day of the week...

You are comparing a 1960's television experience to a modern one. Sure, there's more bells and whistles to the newer sets, but the Twilight Zone was just as good on that older television.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I liked Morrowind, but these claims about "such exploration, much wow" are about as ridiculous as "Gothic is worse than unmoded Oblivion".
The exploration/world is it's only saving grace. The character system is atrocious. Combat is mediocre at best.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom