Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind modding thread

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Search didn't return any relevant threads, so here goes.

I have never played Morrowind before. There, I said it. I am about to.

Are there any critical bug/patch/mods that I need to have installed before venturing in for the first time?

What are good mods for MW that I should play with? Is there a widescreen or a graphics update mod that's worthwhile and should be used?

TripJack

Hedonist
Search didn't return any relevant threads
:hmmm:
except for jews, muslims, and liberuls there is no topic on rpgcodex with more relevant threads than morrowind mods

unofficial patch, graphics extender, the brotherhood assassination delay mod, and a healthy dose of uninstall.exe is all you need

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You definitely need something that delays the stupid Dark Brotherhood attacks.
And you may want to just ignore Tribunal altogether, as it's story is very weak and the whole expansion is just annoying, and doesn't fit in well with the rest of the game IMO.

A huge problem with vanilla MW is the Cliffracer plague; you definitely want mod(s) that change the ecology of Morrowind.

Apart from that MW doesn't really need that many mods to be playable. No mods can fix its main flaw - the static, player centric world - anyway.

deuxhero

Arcane
never played Morrowind before

MGE (just for modern resolutions) Morrowind Code Project, Unofficial Patch and maybe a Dark Brotherhood attack delayer (the Xbox version apparently delays them till level 7, which is still too early but better than level 1, for some reason the PC version doesn't and I can't find a mod that replicates that exact delay despite a dozen mods that delay/stop it some other way) are all you need for a first playthrough.

There's stuff I wouldn't want to go through Morrowind again without, but would not give a first time player.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Went with that. Boldly chose "medium PC" since even though my laptop is crap, it is such an old game.

Started game. Got 2 FPS on the deck of the boat. FUUUU-

Went with "poor PC", now get 30-50 FPS in game. Good compilation, thanks.

You definitely need something that delays the stupid Dark Brotherhood attacks.
And you may want to just ignore Tribunal altogether, as it's story is very weak and the whole expansion is just annoying, and doesn't fit in well with the rest of the game IMO.

A huge problem with vanilla MW is the Cliffracer plague; you definitely want mod(s) that change the ecology of Morrowind.

Apart from that MW doesn't really need that many mods to be playable. No mods can fix its main flaw - the static, player centric world - anyway.
Found a simple plugin in Nexus that prevents the attacks until main quest is done.

This. I'm currently in the middle of a new Morrowind playthrough and the only 2 mods I'm using are Overhaul 3.0 and Fatigue and Magicka Overhaul because I don't want to have to rest 24 hours after casting 2 fireballs.

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43130/?tab=1&navtag=http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/ajax/moddescription/?id=43130&preview=&pUp=1
I took the Fatigue/Magicka Overhaul 2. Seems to be working well. With 120 Magicka at game start, I can cast a good number of spells before I run dry. Magicka regenerates but slowly, meaning that I can't go overboard but didn't run out in that smugglers cave.

Better bodies with nude option on obviously
Of course. Plus furry dicks but no scaley tits. Lizard people should not have mammalian appendages.

I haven't even left the starting village. Too busy doing the little quests in there. Currently trying to find the murderer and figuring out a way to profit from the skooma merchant since I stumbled into her basement.

Top kek @those silly mana regen ideas. Why wouldn't you take atronach sign when there's absolutely no problem with it thanks to alchemy, shrines and summoned creatures*?

E.g. poking daedroth as argonian or flame atronach as dunmer. No need to cast it everytime, just create custom ring/amulet/whatever with around 10s summon spell. Even ancestral ghosts work really well.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Search didn't return any relevant threads, so here goes.

I have never played Morrowind before. There, I said it. I am about to.

Are there any critical bug/patch/mods that I need to have installed before venturing in for the first time?

What are good mods for MW that I should play with? Is there a widescreen or a graphics update mod that's worthwhile and should be used?
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...re-a-fucking-jungle.46808/page-3#post-1496113

maybe the morrowind overhaul 'obsoletes' this due to them totally illegally distributing the modified exe and being total popamolers and including every mod and their dog.

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Dark Brotherhood attack delayer (the Xbox version apparently delays them till level 7, which is still too early but better than level 1, for some reason the PC version doesn't
What is this? I never experience any brotherhood attacks in couple of my incomplete games. Not that i remember off anyway. Guess if it was such a plague, i would.

pippin

I remember one DB guy attacked me right in the outskirts of Seyda Neen. That's basically on the second in game day.
Then there was this hilarious occasion when I suffered 2 DB attacks in a row inside Balmora's Fighters Guild

Greatness

Cipher
Honestly, how did Bethesda not realize how broken the DB attacks are? Surely some time during their testing they realized a level 1 character shouldn't be forced to deal with dark brotherhood assassins and shouldn't have an infinite supply of the 2nd best light armor in the game from right off the boat. The DB attack fix and the solsthiem rumor fix are two mods that should definitely have just be included in official patches.

MGSO is shit and a hand chosen set of graphics mods will be way better, but it's probably not worth the time investment. Every time I reinstall Morrowind I spend half a week picking out mods and adjusting them for compatibility, then I play for a handful of hours and end up uninstalling again. Hopefully openMW can fix the gameplay systems in a way that vanilla mods never could.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Now i'm even more convinced that i never encountered this DB attack shit. Would remember getting great armor in the beginning of the game. And i didn't use any mods for this stuff, that's for sure. Weird.

deuxhero

Arcane
Did you only sleep in the cenus and exise bed? The script on that is different (so it will display the tutorial message) and won't trigger them.

The official mods are good, but I would wait till the middle of a playthough to add them

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I don't know what is cenus and exise, but i slept wherever it was convenient and possible to sleep, when i needed it. I'm sure i slept at least in several Seyda Neen shacks in the beginning.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Then you didn't have the expansions installed. Or the one expansion that brings in that quest. It's telling of Bethesda QA that they didn't stop to consider how the expansion would affect new characters. What's even more fantastic is that they did it again with Skyrim - you have the Cultists attacking you very early in the game if you have Dragonborn installed. At least they don't drop anything spectacular.

Pearl diving! Still not out of the starter village area :D

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Then you didn't have the expansions installed. Or the one expansion that brings in that quest. It's telling of Bethesda QA that they didn't stop to consider how the expansion would affect new characters. What's even more fantastic is that they did it again with Skyrim - you have the Cultists attacking you very early in the game if you have Dragonborn installed. At least they don't drop anything spectacular.

Pearl diving! Still not out of the starter village area :D

WTF is this shit, you should be complaining that you can't find Caius Cosades right about now. :rpgcodex:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Then you didn't have the expansions installed. Or the one expansion that brings in that quest.
Got both Tribunal and Bloodmoon. Are there any other?
This actually makes me want to instal Morrowind. Would love to have cool armor and own the peasant guards right from the beginning. :popamole:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You can already do that. Just buy a bound battleaxe spell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom