Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind modding thread

Kalon

Scholar
Oh, they're already perfect, they just need to be everywhere all the time.

Yea, you'd think, when you read "Cliff racers", that you'd find them mostly in mountainous areas, near, you know, cliffs. Not in every area, be it swamps, desert, meadows and so on.
The french version of Morrowind has them called "Braillards des falaises", i.e. "cliif screamers". Suits them pretty well.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Tamriel rebuilt is not that fun.
There is no connectivity with main island, even travel, which doesn't look like Morrowind general design at all. They didn't use one of the game's strongest points.
There is no overarching plot either, which is even wierder, you'd think you should have either this or that, like in Tribunal, but you get neither.
If you're not telvanni master race you feel left out.
Starting quests suck ass. They make you go through beginning of all the factions again and gather wickwheat and such. Not all quests are bad but what was new and felt right for a beginner in Morrowind is just a chore here. Aka "we couldn't make any good ones so go gather these ingredients".
Lots of unused space. Big distances between big settlements that are actually interesting.
It's clear modders were afraid to outdo main game in any department, especially loot, so they ended up with content which is like original, but feels weaker and bland. Especially shows in loot - if you got your devil weapon from Ra'Virr, you're set. And that's with me using alternative leveling mod (some new version of old Galsiah's Leveling), which halves my power level - my 25 level character is weaker than something I could built in regular Morrowind on level 10 (around 75 points in spear & bows and 50 medium armor, 60 STR & END and no magic skills).
There's some new good armor but only if you don't have anything better low-tier armor from Morrowind yet. Like in Port Telvannis I got this best bitchin CHIM armor aka full dreugh set.

Everything does look good and terrain is nice, some nice dungeon designs too, but it proves that most modders can into tool set, but can't write interesting stories.
Also combined with Overhaul some locatons like major cities give me like, 12 fps. Heh.

On the other hand, I also installed Less Generic NPCs which is absurdly fun. It makes game more fun to read, sometimes expanding on characters well, sometimes adds new quests, sometimes - generic boring crap like item collection, and sometimes it delivers massive bioware derpness which somehow feels like it could belong in Morrowind. It often dumps a shitton of lore aka PoE backer NPCs "i had no mom and dad i became [class]" so it's a mixed bag but it is worth it. This mod + visit to Tel Mora made my weekend. Or how I would call it now, a Telvanni Tower of Unresolved Sexual Tension. Sure sure, there's a quest for healing one from infertility with a help of daedra heart and kwama egg and testing it out, but that's not the best, in my opinion best part is Dratha stoically hiding her being enamoured with big man Fyr, but she just can't work with him because he is such a swine who made that clone harem for himself! Gold.

All Abnaxus's fucking fault for making me spend whole day to mod that shit again and make it work.

I think the idea of TR is that you basically have to start at the bottom rung again. So it's not that great to start with if you're already Nerevarine and leader of several factions. For me, that was always the reason I eventually got bored with TR, and I mainly just enjoyed exploring the new map with fast levitation from the Shrine of the Moon. With my new build, I'm just going to take my character through the early stages a bit, and then move to the mainland. Should make for a more enjoyable game.

Beastro

Arcane
Made two new main menu screens:
43923-1-1447695654.jpg
43923-0-1447600843.jpg
http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43923

Second one looks too flat and full of life to be Vvardenfell.

Old One

Arcane
I just started playing this for the first time. I've played a bit of Daggerfall in the past, but quit long before finishing it. I didn't hate it, but I don't think it holds up as well for someone like me who was not a kid when I first tried it.

I'm using the Morrowind Code Patch (with some but not all options enabled), the Watercolor mod textures, the most common magicka regen mod, and the Morrowind Graphics Extender or whatever it's called. At 1920x1200 resolution it looks pretty good and runs smooth, and the Graphics Extender allows me to run it in a window that fills the whole screen. This appears to be one of those games that works a lot better that way. It does for me, at least.

I'm using 3rd person perspective most of the time, but I switch to FPP for close-up stuff sometimes.

The combat sucks so far, but I'm going to wait and see if it improves as my character gets better. I made a Nord with a custom class called Frost Wizard which is mostly spellcasting but partly blunt weapons and medium armor.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
the most common magicka regen mod
:nocountryforshitposters:

If you don't want to deal with non-regenerating magicka, don't play a magic-user. There are in-game ways of restoring magicka, such as through potions, but adding magicka regeneration is little more than cheating.

Thal

Augur
If you don't want to deal with non-regenerating magicka, don't play a magic-user. There are in-game ways of restoring magicka, such as through potions, but adding magicka regeneration is little more than cheating.

I agree. That also goes with exploiting Atronach. Morrowind is already laughably easy, no need to ruin it completely. I quarantee you'll be too bored to finish the game if go along that road.

For that matter. Is there a mod that ramps up the difficulty in a sensible way that also maintains progression?

Or should I just wait for OpenMW?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Anyone ever do what I did when I was young, train alchemy, mix Fortify Intelligence potion, mix more with your increased skill, then drink your new potions (like Flight for 39324939929492349 seconds or Regenerate 5593599954 Magicka / s.)?

One sip and you are immortal for the rest of the game.

DraQ

Arcane
the most common magicka regen mod
:nocountryforshitposters:

I'm a bit of a fence sitter when it comes to magicka regen. MW casting system doesn't really allow spamming spells, so Atronach remains the ultimate caster sign and any half-decent magicka regen mod will specifically exclude atronach-born and not having to cat-nap all the time is a plus.
OTOH is magicka regen really worth the bother?

Of course I've only ever played with a slow magicka regen mod.

I agree. That also goes with exploiting Atronach.
How do you exploit Atronach?

I've never hunted specifically for difficulty mods (the one thing MW really needs badly in terms of difficulty is better AI and NPC spellbooks and I don't know of anything doing the former), but Adul's Advanced Combat makes combat maybe not more difficult, but symmetrically more lethal without messing too much with anything.

Kalon

Scholar
I'm using 3rd person perspective most of the time, but I switch to FPP for close-up stuff sometimes.

The combat sucks so far, but I'm going to wait and see if it improves as my character gets better. I made a Nord with a custom class called Frost Wizard which is mostly spellcasting but partly blunt weapons and medium armor.

Once your character gets better, he will kill enemies in one or two hits. So while the combat will still suck, at least you'll get over with quickly.

There is a pluginless animation mod which is quite good and replace the 3d person walk/run animation.

Old One

Arcane
How do you exploit Atronach?
That's a good question. It doesn't seem obviously exploitable to me, but then I don't know what I'm talking about yet.

I may start over and try it now that I have a grasp of how the game's systems work.

Kalon said:
Once your character gets better, he will kill enemies in one or two hits. So while the combat will still suck, at least you'll get over with quickly.
Yes, I see that. It's funny in the beginning - you can attack over and over and over and never hit anything. I wasn't even sure I was doing it right.

I wish I could turn off certain attack styles for certain weapons. For example, I never want to Thrust with my Warhammer. If my character does that, it's because I bungled the physical input to the computer.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's easy, you summon an Ancestral Spirit and whack him until he casts Firebite on you, then soak in the mana.

There's an option in the option menu called "use best attack" that will turn off all but the best attack. Since you are asking to turn off one attack, you might as well do this - it will turn of two, instead of one, but why not?

Old One

Arcane
I must say, the bonuses at level-up do inevitably propel the player toward some grinding behavior. I mean, "just play the game" is all well and good, but at some point you're going to be faced with a choice between levelling now, or casting fireball over and over at a tree for fifteen minutes and getting an extra 2 points of wisdom (or whatever Morrowind's wisdom equivalent is - I can't recall off the top of my head).

"Practice you skills!" I guess.

If it were up to me, I'd probably get rid of the bonuses, make each gold pip you get at level-up worth a flat 2 points, and remove the limit of 1 pip per ability. If you want to put all three into Intelligence, go ahead.
It's easy, you summon an Ancestral Spirit and whack him until he casts Firebite on you, then soak in the mana.

There's an option in the option menu called "use best attack" that will turn off all but the best attack. Since you are asking to turn off one attack, you might as well do this - it will turn of two, instead of one, but why not?
Cool, thanks. I can use both those tips. I see shrine blessings can also be absorbed, among other tricks.

On the other hand, I have to wonder why exploiting these loopholes is more respectable to some than using a mana regen mod.

DraQ

Arcane
And it's an exploit how exactly? A character with ability to absorb, but not generate their own magicka summons an extraplanar being with its own magicka supply and coaxes it to cast spells they can absorb.
Sounds like a perfectly reasonable in-universe workaround to inability to regenerate magicka.

Yes, I see that. It's funny in the beginning - you can attack over and over and over and never hit anything. I wasn't even sure I was doing it right.
  1. Use weapon you can use well - else you miss
  2. Don't fight (or do anything else) tired - else you miss (or otherwise fuck up)
  3. Don't tap rapidly with big weapons - damage range doesn't represent randomness, but damage as function of wind-up time (which in turn can be gauged by animations).

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
My God I fucking hate you you goddamn piece of shit retard; I never stated it was an exploit, but even if I had, you're just a fucking cocksucker.

DraQ

Arcane
Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
My God, he asked how you exploit it you goddamn cocksucker, and I mentioned the most common method people use to draw benefit from the sign, and here you go spouting semantics.
Go fuck yourself you gigantic retarded douche. You have no idea how much I hate you, 2007 newfag.

Stay in Poland you asstard.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I think you just melted his icy gay furry charming heart.

The best thing about Atronach is it's defensive capability, for casual mage playing I'd recommend char that can just rest and restore mana, especially if you install mods that nerf alchemy. Then you'll have to deal with every encounter with about as much mana as you actually have (which is still a hell a lot even for level 1 mage, you can get 300-500 mana and your spells would cost between 15 and 50... don't remember exact vanilla numbers since it has been at least 10 years as I played without alternative leveling/nerfed alchemy mods).

Last edited:

Kalon

Scholar
I once made a Nord character with the Atronach birthsign and he was basically invincible. Piles of HP, immune to Frost, immune to Fire (dragonbone cuirass), half-immune to Shock, half-absorbing every other spells.
When playing with mage characters, Atronach is a fairly obvious choice. It also makes Alchemy actually interesting to use (for Restore magicka potions) instead of exploits. Although I think that if you drink a potion of Sujamma (which temporarily drains your Intelligence), your magicka level will be restored to its maximum once the effects wear off. Not 100% sure about it though.
In any case, it is an interesting birthsign to play with.

Thal

Augur
And it's an exploit how exactly? A character with ability to absorb, but not generate their own magicka summons an extraplanar being with its own magicka supply and coaxes it to cast spells they can absorb.
Sounds like a perfectly reasonable in-universe workaround to inability to regenerate magicka.

Perfectly reasonable in-universe exploit, you mean?
Not only it removes consequences stunted magicka completely, it also makes regenerating magicka easier than it would be with any other birthsign. No need for mana potions ever (unless you want to spam spells, cause you can do that too now), no need to rest for mana ever. You can insta kill all enemies with your custom spells and regen after every battle.
Look I've done it all and I get it. You can do all sorts of fun things with Morrowind mechanics.
The point is that it becomes boring very quickly. I don't care if it's in-universe. If it breaks game, my advice is not to do it.

Shadenuat

Arcane
it also makes regenerating magicka easier than it would be with any other birthsign
You'll tear your hair out before you finish regular game, not even Tribunal/Bloodmoon with just using summons to restore your mana every time you need to cast some spells.

Old One

Arcane
Now that I've spent some time doing it, I'm not sure whether or not I'd classify the Ancestral Spirit thing an exploit. It's not a pure exploit in any case. I mean, you summon a spirit, piss it off, and then it attacks you and often hits you. Granted, the spirit is not very powerful, but it's still kind of a crazy thing to be doing. In a way I admire how unconventional it is, because I've never seen another game with this method of magic regeneration.

I made a new Ancestral Spirit summoning spell with a duration of 10. That way the spirit hits me with spells once or twice and vanishes immediately after.

The shrine-and-temple-altars method also works really well. I don't think that's an exploit either, since you have to pay a fee to fill your magicka.

Old One

Arcane
I started over with the MSGO 3.0. This mod is really, really nice, but it could definitely use an update if it hasn't had one lately (I didn't find one). Most of the elements it contains -- Morrowind Code Patch, mlox, MGE -- are outdated. It the current time it requires a really annoying amount of tinkering to get everything updated correctly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom