Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind vs Skyrim objectively

Shape

Educated
Hello!

Putting nostalgia glasses aside, what do you think is the objectively better RPG?

Do you enjoy the dice-rolling button-smashing combat of morrowind, or the fluent slice-n-dice skyrim combat?
Which world had a greater immersive quality to it? (aesthetics, emergent elements as well)
How about the classless character progression in skyrim? Or would you rather have your character clasically "rolled" into classes?
Questlines! Which game had those written better?

I would love to hear some hardcore rpg fans answer those questions above in an as subjective manner as possible! Of course feel free to throw in some of your own areas of comparison.

P.S. I would love if some people who played/replayed Morrowind on some overhaul mods contributed! Since it makes it feel a little bit less retro and fresh in comparison to Skyrim.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
objectively
rjtgfXT.gif

imweasel

Both are shit, but the Codex prefers Morrowind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Quality thread. Good job OP.

Morrowind's combat is more or less the same as Skyrim combat. The only thing that disappeared is hit chance diceroll(fuck you RPG codex it's better this way, not too much but still better). Other than that it's the same weightless LMB masher for retards from retards.

Quests can be less elaborate(because scripting system is even more shit than in Skyrim) but are less derivative and better written in Morrowind(no absurd questlines like Thieves Guild).

Character progression system is broken as hell in both. Skyrim is little shittier because level scaling and lack of some skills/stats won't allow you to be hilariously OP(and oh gosh you can't run faster than plane and jump like frog).

Dungeons are better designed in Morrowind. So is majority of stuff. Skyrim improved a lot in this aspect when you compare it to oblivion though(outside of dungeons).

I really can't tell too much about it in this way. Both games are EXTREME cause of flawed designs, one of which has more qualities, and other has more mainstream following. Daggerfall isn't much better but at least it shows the will to expand rather than cut shit that didn't worked because fixing it is too hard for toddlers.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fallout vs Fallout 3 objectively, which is better and why, discuss!!!1111111111111

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
I love whole Elder Scrolls series, playing last three [M, OBL, SKY] from time to time to this day. I never finished Daggerfall and will repair that mistake soon.
Arena was quite nice game too, and both of them A and DGR are for free for a long time.
It's true that these games can be done better, contain world filled with more details , npc's and what is most wanted more deep writing [ these dialogues ehhh....] .
But in the end i love them, why? Well it's one of the my most favourable crpg's settings [next to fallout, ultimas, might&magic, faerun from Bgs, IWds,Nwns, or wizardy etc. - not to mention only one which developers are not bankrupts today, gathering dollars on kickstarters and similar "beg for money for unfinished shit, without QA department games"], i like lore and im being huge ES lore nerd ;) . It's true that these games are almost close to unplayable[ for crpg long living maniacs like me] without dozens of mods [mods for my Skyrim takes near 60gb of HD, for Oblivion near 25gb and for Morrowind almost 15gb ] but from the other side, it is their strongest point. You can just swim in the Lore-driven mods , and many others if you are Elder Scrolls universe nerd, they are portals like Imperial Library and so on. These games have greatest fan community for any crpg out there - with really living fans which are "making" something for their games instead of just talking [i made some by myself for SKy as Umbrecht at TesNexus]. Look at the Interesting NPC's mod for Skyrim, or Requiem for it too, these mods while staying close to lore, gives you almost completely different game than unmodded base.
It's true it takes A LOT of time to play these games in the "right" way with mods, as their tracking and updating, configuration and learning how to resolve their conflicts may take very large ammount of time for today's casual gamers. But it is really worth it, becouse with proper mods for them you can get almost "real" role playing world, set in Elder Scrolls universe. It's great to step into this world.
Sure they are silly mods like balls for horses ;) , or some manga girls and other shitty creations, but that's just mods, you can pick up what you like. Most of ES fan stay with lore packed mods and had great time.
Like in case of any open-world and sandbox crpg many people says its more LARP simulator than "true" crpg or they are more like shallow and boring games with generic worlds , etc.
In some way it is true, but not all. Like in case of any other crpg , if You don't "feel" setting, universe, presentation you will be calling it crap even if it is true gem.
Problem with all Elder Scroll games is that they need LOT of TIME, and it is main killer for most adult fans. Im in that group too, but as true Nerd i always found time [be it 1 or 2 hours to dive into ES] , same with my stupid nerdism for Warhammer FB tabletop game . I could manage family, work, other hobbies with gaming. But it's hard and i understand many people have "GIVE ME A GAME AND I WILL PLAY IT "
attitude, nothing wrong in this. But ES games never were that kind of games, and there were mods even for Daggerfall.
So if you don't have time for good role playing game on PC , do not shit on ES but go fuck yourselves ;). You will be bored by any crpg title too, becouse good crpgs takes fukin TIME! Maybe its time for You to focus on boring jobs and "serious" life not on fuking amazing games.
:kwanzania::yeah::kwanzania::yeah::kwanzania:

Last edited:

Metatron

Augur
Skyrim is probably the best one because at least it contains pretty environments. But the whole series are shit, Morrowind is probably the worst one except for possibly Oblivion cause of those ridiculous wikipedia NPCs. Shallowest conversation system ever in a game that is actually pretty npc interaction heavy means top 10 codex apparently.

Do you enjoy the dice-rolling button-smashing combat of morrowind

That stops being a thing after you reach ~50 in the relevant skill (which is basically "Average", anything below that means you suck donkey dick and shouldn't be fighting anything more menacing than rodents and small herbivores).

Unfortunately, combat before that is horrible enough to send people running away without looking back, so most players wouldn't know. The tutorial should end with an "ARE YOU SURE? THIS CHARACTER SUCKS DONKEY DICK" prompt before you leave if you have a combat skill below that. It wouldn't be that condescending since they even teach you how to walk.:M

(then again, there is no real difference between "missing often if unskilled" and "always hitting but doing scratch damage if unskilled" other than feel)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Both are good games.

Not joking/trolling.

Skyrim is better at melee/ranged (non-magic) combat and has better graphics, but Morrowind is better at everything else.

*bends over*

DApUB9g.jpg

167 hours
and I never got around to beat dragonwhatever so I might play it again in the future
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Skyrim has the best combat in the series.

Problem is that isn't saying much at all.

Morrowind wins. Cool and interesting envrionemnts-ality.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
In Morrowind, there is just so very much to do. You have to prioritize, because there are also very many different ways to do it all. Which all change your experience. And you become God. What is not to like?

It's just too bad they didn't make animations for missing and deflecting attacks.

In Oblivion, things had to be Balanced and Challenging. For everything you did, the game created a perfectly balanced adversary. So every experience is about the same as every other one. And to make things easier for the devs, they made everything modular. So you can 'change' things by using A and C instead of A and B. And you never become God.

In Skyrim, things had to be Balanced, Challenging and Modular as well, but also Very Restricted. If you encounter a certain enemy and run away, it will be there when you return. And some loot will be hand-placed, like in Morrowind. So far, so good. But while one of your first fights will be to kill a dragon, you will never become very powerful. Because everything is Restricted. Although it does have the single, best quest. The drinking game.

In Oblivion, things had to be Balanced and Challenging. For everything you did, the game created a perfectly balanced adversary. So every experience is about the same as every other one.

Except they fucked that up and "perfectly balanced" just means "your level". Since you level up by using skills and some skills raise faster than others depending on your class, your level doesn't necessarily represent your actual strength. Which means that unless you've been very careful about your skill levels (i.e., don't actually select skills you'll be using often as major skills because they'll raise your level faster than you can keep up, and ignore non-combat skills), enemies will be wiping the floor with you after level 10. The issue is so apparent that the playtesters had to be playing with godmode on to not notice. (edit: or they haven't played beyond level 10, which is just as likely)

oscar

Arcane
I had a hell of a lot more fun in Morrowind.

While I liked the Thalmor-Imperial-Nord politics and intrigue stuff the main dragon chosen one plot of Skyrim absolutely bored me to tears and felt like those 'epic' high fantasy books you read when you were 11. A very sad let down after Morrowind's quite intriguing main quest with Dagoth Ur being perhaps my favourite 'villain' of an RPG. Still bugs me that you couldn't join him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom