Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind vs Skyrim objectively

Sykar

Arcane
I wouldn't complain the slightest about Morrowind being broken, were there not people like you who defend it as some kind of hardcore char skill based CRPG of old times. It is not, it is balanced for explorefags like DalekFlay to enjoy without scaring them off at every corner because the area they entered is too high level for them. Huge difference to the Gothics for example, but deliberately so, because story progression there was more linear.
I guess I have a slight problem with the Bethesda formula, and therefore Skyrim is actually an improvement for my taste, because it was more levelscaled but not to the point of making char leveling redundant.

I haven't defended Morrowind as anything like that. All I said is that all those exploits people are crying about do not happen by accident but by people deliberately seeking them out. I could not care less whether they use them or not, I only care if people come to forums and complain about them screwing over their own game is somehow Bethesderps fault.
The game is easy enough without those exploits. It's also easy enough without abusing attribute multipliers at level up for example.

DraQ

Arcane
DragoFireheart , Clockwork Knight - *sigh* on it. Expect a few posts.

Hi!
Putting nostalgia glasses aside, what do you think is the objectively better RPG?
Morrowind.
Do you enjoy the dice-rolling button-smashing combat of morrowind, or the fluent slice-n-dice skyrim combat?
Neither and neither is fluent.
Morrowind's combat is built around saner assumptions (in the end skill in combat is hitting without being hit yourself) but it's clunky and fails to represent misses visually.
Skyrim's combat is built around insane assumptions (combatants keep hitting each other until one keels over, skill deciding how hard they hit) and fails to represent most hits visually (it's like you're hitting an invisible box, not a living being).
Additionally Skyrim's combat precludes attacking underwater or when airborne and has reduced variety of available weapons, but OTOH Skyrim has very nice and logical wielding system.
Morrowind offers more control over attacks and more responsive controls, but Skyrim allows for controlled blocking and more diversity as far as attacks go.
Now, modded Skyrim with smarted up AI, added hit feedback and high enough damage to preclude just trading blows can have pretty decent combat as it switches it back to hit while not getting hit, except it's more of player's responsibility this time.
Which world had a greater immersive quality to it? (aesthetics, emergent elements as well)
Morrowind has better world in general, aesthetics included. It also gives player stuff like spellmaker to fiddle with and has much less scripting in its quest meaning more freedom regarding solving them.
That said Skyrim's art direction isn't half bad and it does stuff involving random events and AI reactions much better for obvious reasons, even if it sometimes results in hilarious bloopers.
OTOH while Skyrim features some nice diversity in its locations, the rewards for exploration are questionable and most dungeons are awfully linear.
To its credit, though, there are quite a few almost contained corridors that seem to do a good job corraling retards but are just leaky enough to allow a resourceful player break the sequence and reap the rewards.
The fact that some things, like loot, are unreachable the normal way indicate that it was intentional.
Some dungeons, particularly those featuring contained exterior/fake exterior areas can be refreshingly non-linear, external hostile areas, like bandit and forsworn camps can also allow considerable freedom of approach, which alleviates the impact of unbranching corridors underneath.

Overall I'd say Morrowind wins again, but Skyrim does have some noticeable improvements.
How about the classless character progression in skyrim? Or would you rather have your character clasically "rolled" into classes?
That's actually two questions.
Classless is better, but you should have starting builds.
Skyrim lacks those and Morrowind was effectively classless, with classes having little actual impact beyond initial builds and custom classess allowing you to build any combination of skills and stats.
OTOH the progression itself is much better in Skyrim. Advancement based on all skill gains eliminates stupid and tedious metagaming and the builds diverge with time rather than converging.
Limited (pre-Legendary) perk points are great too.

Questlines! Which game had those written better?
Morrowind, hands down.

Individual quests may not be anything to write home about, but there is precious little scripting involved allowing player to complete quests any way they choose or even preempt most of them or complete them out of order, there are no things like unpickable locks, and the quest tie nicely into each other and world
creating a network-like structure.
Admittedly, Skyrim doesn't do a bad job tying the quests to the world and it does try to create similar network of interconnected quests (presumably after the fiasco of free-floating ones in OB), but the problem is that addition of tight scripting and unpickable locks turns it from nice and organic quest structure into "suddenly I have to join College of Winterhold to complete an unrelated sidequest" artificial derpcoaster.
Other than that the pacing is invariably awful, questlines are short and some quests are plagued with baffling lapses of logic (CoW questline in particular can be summarized with "WTF just happened?").
Then there are questlines that more or less work narratively, but hinge on player doing or not doing a particular thing they could, just as well decide otherwise. For example, what would happen if I snitched on Aela to Kodlak right away?
Overall, while some quests are pretty nice Skyrim does a piss poor job with its questlines.

P.S. I would love if some people who played/replayed Morrowind on some overhaul mods contributed! Since it makes it feel a little bit less retro and fresh in comparison to Skyrim.
Actually, Skyrim has more need for mods than Morrowind.

Luzur

Good Sir
Be sure not to talk to any NPC as well, they could give you an item or a quest that you're clearly not intended to touch (but you will anyway, won't you? Fucking kids)

Some Quest-NPC's will hunt you down ya know.

Once i got that courier guy finding me in a dungeon, man i jumped when that fucker came running around the corner.

DraQ

Arcane
Yes, except cliff racers will fuck you up whilst Dragons are not a threat.
That said, their AI was impressive
The fuck am I reading.

I will always prefer the less direct, more RPG-ish combat of Morrowind, though.
The opposite here. Morrowind's combat is built on saner assumptions, but once you mod Skyrim's to the point where exact damage output against humanoid target is no longer that important, but you can no longer just tank blows, rendering derpy assumptions irrelevant, the improved AI and different ways to avoid damage (blocking and bashing aside from evasion) plus diversity thanks to more ranges involved are starting to shine (because if there is one thing that's fucking tragic in MW, it's the AI).

Maybe when OpenMW allows to mod both the AI and combat system properly...

I won't stand for this, Konjad! Although I agree with almost everything you said, I can't agree with you here. In fact, I would dare claim Skyrim even has better audio and world variety than Morrowind.
:salute:
Alas I have but one fist with which I can bro you for this post.

ON AUDIO
The music is not only excellent, but for the first time since Daggerfall, highly situational.
(...)
Even the taverns have their own mood-setting music.
Also, a lot of Morrowind music makes a reappearance in Skyrim while quite a few inn tracks are instrumental recreations of Daggerfall inn music.

Mostly static Morrowind soundtrack was really limited compared to Skyrim's (Daggerfall's would be far more worthy contender), and the main advantage MW had over Skyrim in terms of ambient sounds were freaky wildlife sounds in the background (admittedly they had quite an impact out in the ashlands), and maybe dwemer ruins sounds (I've always prefered VVardenfell Dwemer style).

ON WORLD VARIETY

First off, Oblivion did not have better world variety than Skyrim. I'm willing to defend Oblivion on some points, but not this one.

OB-map-Cyrodiil_roadmap.png

Oblivion has 5 different enviroments, out of which one (generic green forest/fields) covers most of the map. And the swamp forest in the south and the Colovian Highlands to the west barely differ from the generic green forest/fields. That leaves the Gold Coast and the snow-covered mountain regions the only enviroments that stand out against this green blob of copy-paste.

Now take Morrowind.

MW-Map-Vvardenfell.jpg

There are 6 visually distinct enviroments on Vvardenfell. They are Bitter Coast, West Gash, Ascadian Isles, Grazelands and collected regions Ashlands+Red Mountain+Molag Amur and Azura's Coast+Sheogorad. Sure, the ash-covered hills cover most of the map, but that is alleviated by the fact that
1. Volcanic landscape is a hell lot more interesting than green fields, and gives the other regions an element of beauty in comparison
2. The other 5 enviroments are visually different from each other.

Lastly, Skyrim.

llHOtw0.jpg

LAcn6W8.png

The argument that Skyrim was all snow needs to die. The snow is centered on the mountains ranges that go between the holds and borders the other provinces, other than that, there's only major snow in the north.

In Skyrim, we have 8 visually distinct regions.

We have:

The green forest of Falkreath
The autumn forest of the Rift
The yellow tundra of Whiterun
The ruggy mountaineous region of the Reach
The hot springs of Eastmarch
The marsh of Hlaalmarch
The snow-covered fields and forests of Winterhold and the Pale
The glacier and iceberg-filled waters in the north of Winterhold and the Pale

(There's also the snow-free northern coastline of Haafingar, but other than that, it doesn't differ from the Pale that much.)

Even if you combine the glacier with the snowy fields (Haafingar+The Pale+Winterhold), you still have more visually distinct regions than Morrowind. And what's better, no region takes up half the map. The map is instead divided more evenly between the different enviroments.
:bro:
Morrowind still has an edge in terms of more unearthly environments, but you have to be blind and slightly impaired to argue that Skyrim has homogenous or boring environments.
Severely impaired if you think OB is in any way superior or equal.

I do have an issue describing First Person shooters as RPG or ARPG.
I know your pain. It's same with me and RTS/TBS.
;)

Crevice tab

Savant
Basically yes, Morrowind has plenty of ways to get broken, and yes I would prefer if Bethesda would have fixed it..

How amusing. Don't you know that that's what the community is for?

Bethesda's definition of fixing is removing the feature entirely. Levitation? Gone because the AI was too dumb. Athletics? Gone because 'balance'. Actual sane leveling? Can you guess what happened? Gone because whiny bitches whined that the expansions were unbalanced compared to the main game.

Really people stop trying to exploit each small bug or unbalanced feature and then complain about it- because next thing you know and that feature will be gone and a new set of rails will be out it its place.

I will always prefer the less direct, more RPG-ish combat of Morrowind, though.
The opposite here. Morrowind's combat is built on saner assumptions, but once you mod Skyrim's to the point where exact damage output against humanoid target is no longer that important, but you can no longer just tank blows, rendering derpy assumptions irrelevant, the improved AI and different ways to avoid damage (blocking and bashing aside from evasion) plus diversity thanks to more ranges involved are starting to shine (because if there is one thing that's fucking tragic in MW, it's the AI).

Maybe when OpenMW allows to mod both the AI and combat system properly...

Mods cover a lot of sins but I've always liked Morrowind's approach to combat a lot more: mainly because Morrowind has a sane system that doesn't rely on HP bloat, actiony gimmicks or people running around hitting each other with plastic swords. Skyrim's better AI brings it ahead but I'm not a fan of the combat mechanics.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
DraQ: about my experience with the games. Of course "not a threat" was exaggerated, but the Dragons really weren't an issue for me on very hard difficulty. Cliff Racers on the other hand are deadly at low levels if ambushed.
Also, you can't fucking spam potions in morrowind, no weapon degradation, no weight for arrows (so essentially infinite ammo), level scaling and so on.
Shit game is shit.

DraQ

Arcane
DraQ: about my experience with the games. Of course "not a threat" was exaggerated, but the Dragons really weren't an issue for me on very hard difficulty. Cliff Racers on the other hand are deadly at low levels if ambushed.
At very low levels maybe. Other than that they were merely an annoyance. So did Dragons, but at least they could kill you if you wandered too close or got flamed out of cover.
And Dragon AI is arguably the least impressive thing in vanilla Skyrim they just perch on objects or land things in between flying in fairly rigid patterns.

Also, you can't fucking spam potions in morrowind
Of course you can. Potions stack without limitations in Morrowind and inventory pauses time as in all TES games. If you want you can down all the potions in your inventory at once and benefit from each single one.

Lack of degradation wouldn't be that much of a problem if it wasn't for the fact that you have glass and silver(ed) weapons in the setting which should have low durability as their defining feature, since you do have those it's indeed bad, so is weightless ammo.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
And Dragon AI is arguably the least impressive thing in vanilla Skyrim they just perch on objects or land things in between flying in fairly rigid patterns.

You're not wrong there, they were very simplistic as far as AI programming goes. I'm unsure exactly what I was thinking at the time of posting, but I do remember thinking about how simplistic the Cliff Racers were, how they "glitched" down mountains at you, little more. In comparison to that the AI is impressive at least.

Lack of degradation wouldn't be that much of a problem if it wasn't for the fact that you have glass and silver(ed) weapons in the setting which should have low durability as their defining feature, since you do have those it's indeed bad, so is weightless ammo.

All of the content removal in Skyrim I think no weapon degradation pissed me off most.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Wait, you can spam potions in Morrowind? What game am I thinking of where there's a limit to the amount of potions you can simultaneously chug? Hmm.

Lhynn

Arcane
All of the content removal in Skyrim I think no weapon degradation pissed me off most.
What the fuck? you mean the single most annoying and less interesting part of most games that feature it?

Just keep it to a binary factor, usable or not usable and be done with it. Maybe add the option to sharpen it for a buff.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Loved weapon degradation in every game that has featured it. It forces you to make the most of your arsenal, not just spam the same weapon. Plus I like the micromanagement aspect of it.

Lhynn

Arcane
Loved weapon degradation in every game that has featured it. It forces you to make the most of your arsenal, not just spam the same weapon. Plus I like the micromanagement aspect of it.
You dont micromanage anything, you use it, then you repair it, then you use it again, hopefully without breaking it. There is absolutely no thought put behind it unless you are one of those idiots that forgets to restock ammo at the town or distribute the healing and curing potions between your party members.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I've always liked Morrowind's approach to combat a lot more: mainly because Morrowind has a sane system that doesn't rely on HP bloat, actiony gimmicks or people running around hitting each other with plastic swords.

So you actually like Skyrim's combat but Morrowind's a lot more? Wow. Have you ever played Blade of Darkness, Demon/Dark Souls or even any other ARPG? TES "combat" is a crime against gaming.

Skyrim's better AI brings it ahead but I'm not a fan of the combat mechanics.

Saying Skyrim has better AI than Morrowind which has none isn't saying very much, is it? But yeah, have you ever done a shield charge in Skyrim? Try it, and laugh at the epitome of clunky and dumb. Skyrim also has massive hitboxes nobody can miss, clunky pathfinding and the controls are floaty and really just an awkward spam-fest. Mods don't fix it, either. I tried Deadly Combat + TK mods (Combat, Dodge, Hitstop) but they weren't on par with Oblivion's combat mods. Oblivion is trash, too, but at least it doesn't revoke control from the player just to show-off a VATS killcam to please casual vanity "gamers".

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Was there anything in particular you enjoyed about the exploration, certainly not the bland/useless items or the wiki dialogue?

Hand-placed loot, amazing art design, varied cultures and locations, great lore, endless side-content that actually tends to be interesting, lack of voiced dialog meant every conversation could be verbose and interesting.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
You dont micromanage anything, you use it, then you repair it, then you use it again, hopefully without breaking it. There is absolutely no thought put behind it unless you are one of those idiots that forgets to restock ammo at the town or distribute the healing and curing potions between your party members.

Yes, in Elder Scrolls it is not as significant. It is in other games though such as Dark Souls or System Shock 2. Back to the classic complaint: instead of fixing it, Bethesda removed it.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Equipment degradation is the worst RPG feature ever, only retards like it. All it means is that occasionally you have to stop doing what you are doing and fix/replace your gear, which may or may not involve a trip back to town. It's just a pointless time sink that only sperglords enjoy.

I can see it working somewhat in a highly linear game where resources are extremely restricted, but if a game is even slightly open then equipment wear has absolutely nothing to offer to gameplay.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Equipment degradation is the worst RPG feature ever, only retards like it. All it means is that occasionally you have to stop doing what you are doing and fix/replace your gear, which may or may not involve a trip back to town. It's just a pointless time sink that only sperglords enjoy.

I can see it working somewhat in a highly linear game where resources are extremely restricted, but if a game is even slightly open then equipment wear has absolutely nothing to offer to gameplay.

images

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Equipment degradation actually is kinda useful in a game with a flat progression curve of weapon/armor values where there is no aweshum sparkly sword +5 "dragonslayah" but only swords of different quality and maybe a few rare enchanted ones. Like Realms of Arkania for example. Sure it's micromanagement but not really pointless because it adds to the realistic feel of the games and you can't just equip a sword at the start of the game and be done with it.
Also it's actually fun when the RNG trolls you and breaks your tank's backup weapon in the middle of a dungeon so he has to fight with bare hands. You have to change combat strategy accordingly, so it helps against the tedium.

Luzur

Good Sir
Once i got that courier guy finding me in a dungeon, man i jumped when that fucker came running around the corner.

Oblivion was worse in that regard, because the camera turned 180º and zoomed right on the NPC's face.

"Du-de-dum, collecting herbs...AH, GOD, FUCK"

and that Oblivion NPC's looked like bloated mutants and never looked directly at you when in that dialogue zoom-in didnt help either.

Degradation adds things like the need to save some money for repairs, need to carry backup equipment (or not if you consider the extra inventory space to be more appealing), the danger of being in deep shit if you fight enemies that destroy equipment (almost as scary as enemies that drain levels). Just don't go full retard and make things break in five hits (I abandoned my daedric cuirass in Oblivion because every enemy hits like a truck and it spent most of the time as scrap in my backpack; enchanted a robe with Shield instead)

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The need for devs to not inconvenience the player in the slightest with giant inventories, no degredation, no item size inventory restrictions, little upkeep in general etc, easy potions, cheap items, no real economy etc. etc. is what creates shitty economies in games. I find it really funny that some modders think changing prices and drop rates can fix say, Skyrim's economy. It just delays the player's billionaire status.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom