Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind vs Skyrim objectively

DraQ

Arcane
This pretty much sums it up. After strolling around Skyrim for 10-300 hours, you suddenly realise that everything is skin deep. There is no cool hidden questline, no character build that will change your interaction with the world in a meaningful way, no hidden nuggets of cool writing. Morrowind had some issues, but at least it had depth. The puzzle of the Dwemer disappearance for example was really well done, with that cyborgspider-guy in Tel Fyr. On my first playthrough I didn't even know it was a quest, it was just interesting to explore the lore.
I think it's a bit harsh the way you say it but Morrowind indeed had a lot more depth to its content. Information you'd need and obtain through normal gameplay was infinitesimal fraction of information actually present in game.

Take a quest where you have to deliver a message. In Skyrim it'll likely be in a non-interactive satchel quest item, you had no option but to deliver it eventually.

In Morrowind it typically was a sealed letter. If you wanted to read it you had to break the seal, which typically pissed off the recipient, yielding unique dialogue, forfeiting some/all reward and negatively impacting your relationships with both parties. If you had high security skill you could attempt to reseal it and forge the original seal which would allow your peek into the contents of the message to remain undetected.
Then there was the message itself - usually it appeared to be gibberish but was actually ciphertext encoded using a cryptographic technique that has been used historically and that cryptographically inclined player could actually break to retrieve the actual contents which were often relevant to what was happening in game and usually consisted, partially or entirely, of information you couldn't obtain in any other way meaning it was lost on any player who wasn't inclined to only to break the seal but actually crack the cipher. As a bonus that deciphered message was often obfuscated as well.

Overall, while Skyrim easily feels more alive when it comes to its dynamic content - for example being able to provoke infighting using loot or having thugs sent after you if you cross someone - but this aspect of death and organically constructed questlines is sorely lacking in Skyrim.

Gord

Arcane
There's not much of this stuff, and the little there is doesn't have much to it either. E.g. you can get some hints to the "optimal" solution to a bard's college quest by reading a book about a certain person related to the quest (you still need to first go to a draugr ruin and kill everything inside, of course).

Higher Animal

Arcane
So you actually like Skyrim's combat but Morrowind's a lot more? Wow. Have you ever played Blade of Darkness, Demon/Dark Souls or even any other ARPG? TES "combat" is a crime against gaming.

Morrowind's combat is completely dice rolled and has little player interactivity. It's an action rpg only so far as the combat is in real time but everything is based upon the player character's statistics/items/fatigue/health/race/birthsign. Comparing it to games where twitch and timing are at least as important as player statistics if not completely dependent on success is a lil stoopid.

The complaints levied against Morrowind's "balance" seem to focus on the fact that an experienced player can successfully "game" the system and become a god. Well, guess what? That's the purpose of the game. To simulate the process of becoming a god. This can be done by completing the main quest or by leveling up statistics or by efficiently maximizing the items/spells possible within the game. Every exploit (intentional or not) carries the player character along the same path that a successful LARP, no exploit run would. I lol every time somebody says they can break the game by Balmora or fucking Caldera when it can practically be done before you leave Seyda Neen. This is intentional design to give player characters options as to how to "win" the game.

Enjoyment of Morrowind is not just about the initial mystery of discovery, it's also about the path taken to get to god tier status. If you've spent 200 hundred hours memorizing the perfect exploit details only to bitch and moan that Bethesda won't remove it, then one has to beg the question why you played it so long in the first place. Morrowind is designed around creativity, exploration, and statistical maximization. If you require twitch combat or arbitrary difficulty then Morrowind simply doesn't fit your subjective taste.

Also, Wizardry games are for pussies. Real men play Dungeon Master.

Edit:

Conclusion: Morrowind BTFO all TES. ITT Skyrim/Daggerfall/Oblivion/Gothic/Wizardry faggots butthurt at the marvelous genius of Morrowind. Morrowind final tier open world RPG status signed, sealed, and cemented.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
So you actually like Skyrim's combat but Morrowind's a lot more? Wow. Have you ever played Blade of Darkness, Demon/Dark Souls or even any other ARPG? TES "combat" is a crime against gaming.

Morrowind's combat is completely dice rolled and has little player interactivity. It's an action rpg only so far as the combat is in real time but everything is based upon the player character's statistics/items/fatigue/health/race/birthsign. Comparing it to games where twitch and timing are at least as important as player statistics if not completely dependent on success is a lil stoopid.

Not really, I was just giving examples of actual decent combat. I also said "other ARPG", which would include Deus Ex - one of a few I had in mind.

Deus Ex ranged/melee/demolitions combat (and stealth) is infinitely more engaging than Morrowind's half-baked spam-fest shit.

The complaints levied against Morrowind's "balance" seem to focus on the fact that an experienced player can successfully "game" the system and become a god. Well, guess what? That's the purpose of the game. To simulate the process of becoming a god. This can be done by completing the main quest or by leveling up statistics or by efficiently maximizing the items/spells possible within the game. Every exploit (intentional or not) carries the player character along the same path that a successful LARP, no exploit run would. I lol every time somebody says they can break the game by Balmora or fucking Caldera when it can practically be done before you leave Seyda Neen. This is intentional design to give player characters options as to how to "win" the game.

Enjoyment of Morrowind is not just about the initial mystery of discovery, it's also about the path taken to get to god tier status. If you've spent 200 hundred hours memorizing the perfect exploit details only to bitch and moan that Bethesda won't remove it, then one has to beg the question why you played it so long in the first place. Morrowind is designed around creativity, exploration, and statistical maximization. If you require twitch combat or arbitrary difficulty then Morrowind simply doesn't fit your subjective taste.

These comments aren't directed at me, are they? All I said was that Morrowind combat sucks, it's mostly only decent with regard to lore and exploration of a passably interesting world.

Sykar

Arcane

Not really, I was just giving examples of actual decent combat. I also said "other ARPG", which would include Deus Ex - one of a few I had in mind.

Deus Ex ranged/melee/demolitions combat (and stealth) is infinitely more engaging than Morrowind's half-baked spam-fest shit.

These comments aren't directed at me, are they? All I said was that Morrowind combat sucks, it's mostly only decent with regard to lore and exploration of a passably interesting world.

With the right upgrade you can just mow through Deus Ex brain dead. All you need is ballistic skin mod for reduced gun damage and faster running. Done. Before that you can use the half a dozen ballistic vests lying around for tougher situations. The best weapon is also ironically the assault rifle, nothing beats it on overall capacity and flexibility, once you have all ammunition types and underbarrel grenade launcher it mows down everything.

Combat is just as simplistic in Deus Ex as it is in Morrowind, instead of spamming left click for sword swing, casting or shooting arrows you left click for shooting bullets/rockets/grenades. Man, that incredibly deep combat. Oh yeah, headshots, wow, that makes it drastically better and was so needed.

Higher Animal

Arcane

You listed two action games in an RPG thread.

Yes and no. Morrowind requires a degree of character skill and leveling to prevent the constant whiffs endemic early game but I disagree with you about the "engaging" part. Deus Ex is essentially a rock-paper-scissors simulator which requires a degree of forethought before engagement. This is fun but fun in the way a better game like Hitman: Blood Money is fun - that successful planning rewards successful encounters. In morrowind it's impossible to plan before every encounter so the approach is much more general and in this general approach there are more options to have in combat. In one build I was an acrobatic monk with fatigue draining spells and items and I would essentially never be successfully hit by any melee attack. Obviously, getting to a position in Morrowind where you are nearly indestructible is very easy if you know how to exploit the game, but the process of getting there can be enjoyable and wholly unique. In Deus Ex, another game which isn't very difficult, the process revolves around employing the same general character builds to achieve a successful result. I would say Deus Ex is a good game but lacks the creative depth of something like Morrowind which has an infinitely higher degree of player choices. Deus Ex is also not an open-world game like Morrowind.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Kinda moot point if you ask me, since almost all RPG games have cookie cutter builds and exploits. However nothing in Deus Ex gets as bad as the shit you can pull off in Morrowind, almost any path in that game makes you an invicible god sooner or later. Both games really shine outside of combat in either case, exploration, stealth and atmosphere.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Degradation adds things like the need to save some money for repairs, need to carry backup equipment (or not if you consider the extra inventory space to be more appealing), the danger of being in deep shit if you fight enemies that destroy equipment (almost as scary as enemies that drain levels). Just don't go full retard and make things break in five hits (I abandoned my daedric cuirass in Oblivion because every enemy hits like a truck and it spent most of the time as scrap in my backpack; enchanted a robe with Shield instead)
That is all trivial to deal with if you have even the slightest ability to plan ahead. I guess you have to at least a little bit dumb to find any interesting challenge in dealing with degrading equipment.

Cadmus

Arcane
What the fuck is this gay ass faggot complaining about missing your swings in Morrowind? That's for the dudebros to complain about, not monocled RPG scholars like yourselves.

pippin

EVERY game should have degradation. And also "homemade" weapon crafting. If anything, military class equipment should only be acquired by stealing it or joining that particular faction.

Also: I never really had any sort of trouble with combat in Morrowind. I mean, it's not that hard to check if your weapon matches the skill you're proficient with. I think the "always use best attack" option could help too, but I don't remember if it refers to dice rolls or ammount of damage.

I doubt the developers intentionally made a system that is easy to break. It's just shitty design.

What the fuck is this gay ass faggot complaining about missing your swings in Morrowind? That's for the dudebros to complain about, not monocled RPG scholars like yourselves.

It happens too frequently before you reach ~50 skill level. It makes sense, but it's still annoying.

That is all trivial to deal with if you have even the slightest ability to plan ahead. I guess you have to at least a little bit dumb to find any interesting challenge in dealing with degrading equipment.

ME_350_Passive-Aggressive.png

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
Regarding character systems, Morrowind vs Skyrim is a pretty good example of how complexity for the sake of complexity is not a good thing.
Same about simplicity for simplicity's sake.

You look at Skyrim's system, elated for all the improvements and curbing of metagame. Then you try to make a character that concentrates on mobility or maybe up your agility a bit so you don't get knocked down so often, or drain enemy's agility to trip them more easily and DURRR.

Just like TES of old didn't need multipliers nor level ups only based on primary/major/minor skills, skyrim didn't need to drop pretty much the entire attribute system.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Regarding character systems, Morrowind vs Skyrim is a pretty good example of how complexity for the sake of complexity is not a good thing.
Same about simplicity for simplicity's sake.

You look at Skyrim's system, elated for all the improvements and curbing of metagame. Then you try to make a character that concentrates on mobility or maybe up your agility a bit so you don't get knocked down so often, or drain enemy's agility to trip them more easily and DURRR.

Just like TES of old didn't need multipliers nor level ups only based on primary/major/minor skills, skyrim didn't need to drop pretty much the entire attribute system.
I would argue that this does not succeed in defending Morrowind's and old school TES quite frankly atrocious mechanics in any manner. Skyrim is still an improvement in this department precisely because the stats and skills, not even getting into leveling, were a total mess previously. At least Skyrim presents a functional baseline for a character system, which is a lot more than can be said of its predecessors where character system was something like an elaborately shaped sculpture made out of a wet turd. In this comparison Skyrim is like a hand-sized rock.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Degradation adds things like the need to save some money for repairs, need to carry backup equipment (or not if you consider the extra inventory space to be more appealing), the danger of being in deep shit if you fight enemies that destroy equipment (almost as scary as enemies that drain levels). Just don't go full retard and make things break in five hits (I abandoned my daedric cuirass in Oblivion because every enemy hits like a truck and it spent most of the time as scrap in my backpack; enchanted a robe with Shield instead)

Problem is most single player games aren't designed around scarcity so money is plentiful and rarely is depreciation so bad you have to carry spares/backups.

Higher Animal

Arcane
I doubt the developers intentionally made a system that is easy to break. It's just shitty design.

Morrowind top ten p4p rpg all time according to KKKodex disagrees. If RPGs are about choice then Morrowind excels in allowing the creativity of the player to guide his role playing experience. Demand for artificial challenge results in abominations like WL2 combat. Morrowind has flaws, but they are encrusted within a gem of a game.

edit: You can gimp your character in Seyda Neen before you even engage in combat. You can even use the dead wizard's jump spells to get to the balcony above the excise office. Morrowind is an exceedingly simple game to do right once you understand the mechanics/locations of major items. The point here is creativity.

Vaarna_Aarne You're a true faggot for thinking Skyrim's derpy action combat simplification is better than a legit dice roll system. Get the fuck out of here with your decline.

Last edited:
Legit dice roll system:

u1LV86.gif

derpy action simplification:

tumblr_mxfqqtvrDs1ste52lo3_500.gif

Morrowind is well-liked but it sure as fuck isn't because of the combat. Dice rolls don't mean much when you're still dancing around the opponent hitting him when your stamina is high enough.

Loved weapon degradation in every game that has featured it. It forces you to make the most of your arsenal, not just spam the same weapon. Plus I like the micromanagement aspect of it.
I have to agree. Just an exampe: I was in Dagerfall and saw an identical short sword drop. I happned to notice mine was damaged and the one I looted was new. I equipped the one I looted. In another example my bow broke, so I had to retrace my steps to find bow loot. I couldn't exit because the monsters would respawn. I know this isn't impressive content or smart decisiong making, but I just like something about it. In Daggerfall, items take a day or so to repair at the shops. This throws you off because youhave to find an inn or travel soemwher. Some people might be annoyed by it, but so far I like the "disruption" if that's what it can be called. I've always liked inventory management too. It's simple yet gives me something to do. I don't want to say it's immersive. I think what I wabt is a break in the action, with some variety. So one moment I'm drinking a potion, another I'm putting some stuff in the wagon, another I'm checking the repair status of equipment, another I'm wondering how the effect on an item works and so on. I do all that and more. In Daggerfall, I also have to kep track of where I am, how much ammo I have, where I can go to rest, be weary of catching a disease from rats or werewolves, don't run into holes, don't lose direction in haste of fighting, and on and on.

I know it ain't captivating or breathtaking or exciting. Maybe I have ADHD or some kind of mental defect which makes me like it. I've noticed I liked some micromanagement in other games too, although I have mylimits. In Master of Orion 2, for example, it can be too much if you don't turn some colonies over to the AI - knowing when to do that's important because the AI is dumb.

Last edited:

Norfleet

Equipment degradation gets a little silly, though. The point at which you stop wearing armor because threat of your ARMOR being damaged is greater than the threat of your YOU being damaged means that the system has gone to derp, as NOBODY IN THE HISTORY OF EVER HAS DONE THIS. When you're fighting naked because you'd rather that you take damage rather than your equipment, and punching all your enemies to death because your fists are more durable than your sword, something is WRONG.

I know it ain't captivating or breathtaking or exciting. Maybe I have ADHD or some kind of mental defect which makes me like it. I've noticed I liked some micromanagement in other games too, although I have mylimits. In Master of Orion 2, for example, it can be too much if you don't turn some colonies over to the AI - knowing when to do that's important because the AI is dumb.
I have never turned a colony over to the AI...he always goes full derp. I just use the build queue. There are certain things I absolutely do not want ever built on the planet, after a certain point in the game, like ANY kind of ground defense structure, because after a certain point in the game, just having those on the planet designates the planet as a military target to the AI, who will bombard the living shit out of it with his doomfleet of 800 ships before I can chain-explode them.

Last edited:
Equipment degradation gets a little silly, though. The point at which you stop wearing armor because threat of your ARMOR being damaged is greater than the threat of your YOU being damaged means that the system has gone to derp, as NOBODY IN THE HISTORY OF EVER HAS DONE THIS. When you're fighting naked because you'd rather that you take damage rather than your equipment, and punching all your enemies to death because your fists are more durable than your sword, something is WRONG..

Well, if your armor is damaged enough that the protection it offers is not worth the encumbrance, it makes sense to discard it. But a game character gets hit hundreds of times every day, so if it happens "realistically" (a few blows) it gets more annoying than immersive.

Zyryanoff

Literate
Of course if you just like making the game up in your own head then I'm sure morrowind might be an awesome game, though I am not sure bethesda deserves credit for how good a game plays in someone's mind.
And what about old games in this case? With primitive visuals, 90% of fun really going on in your mind. And we love these games so Bethesda deserves credit.
You are completely wrong about the barter system as it doesn't require a high mercantile skill as it can be exploited
Many things can be exploited but it's your decision - use it or not.
I think it is retarded to ruin your own game by actively seeking all potential exploits. You are probably one of those who stood like morons for hours somewhere safe and casted 1 mana spells to increase their magic skills. /golfclap
Totally agree.
I've never seriously used attribute teachers in Elder Scrolls before the latest part of my Skyrim gameplay - I've tired of the game, completed nearly all quests but had only level 71 ('master' & 'legendary' difficulty). I needed to challenge ebony warrior to finish the game so I just "bought" levels. But I agree it's really stupid to raise your level for money. That system must have an option of turning it on/off (maybe depending on difficulty level).

Zanzoken

Arcane
I admit I haven't read the whole thread so I apologize if this was already mentioned, but one thing I really liked in Morrowind over Skyrim were the travel mechanics.

I think the addition of fast travel mechanics in TES 4 and 5 were detrimental because they made travel such a bland affair. In a system dominated by fast travel, it boils down to either clicking your way from waypoint to waypoint on the world map or putting on your "Ima gonna go explorrrrrin!" hat and trekking about on foot. One is expedient but quite boring and unrealistic, and the other is time-consuming yet also pretty boring because it entails traversing a lot of generic and mostly empty landscapes.

Travel in Morrowind was far better because you had so many tools available. Mark/Recall, Divine and Almsivi Intervention, silt striders, guild guides, boats, Propylon chambers... getting from A to B was like a mini-game unto itself. You could almost always plan a route to get within a short walk of your destination, and then you'd get to see a little bit of the countryside and perhaps even stumble across something interesting on the way. On the whole I think it made exploration and finding your way through the world a much more organic and immersive experience.

Higher Animal

Arcane
I admit I haven't read the whole thread so I apologize if this was already mentioned, but one thing I really liked in Morrowind over Skyrim were the travel mechanics.

I think the addition of fast travel mechanics in TES 4 and 5 were detrimental because they made travel such a bland affair. In a system dominated by fast travel, it boils down to either clicking your way from waypoint to waypoint on the world map or putting on your "Ima gonna go explorrrrrin!" hat and trekking about on foot. One is expedient but quite boring and unrealistic, and the other is time-consuming yet also pretty boring because it entails traversing a lot of generic and mostly empty landscapes.

Travel in Morrowind was far better because you had so many tools available. Mark/Recall, Divine and Almsivi Intervention, silt striders, guild guides, boats, Propylon chambers... getting from A to B was like a mini-game unto itself. You could almost always plan a route to get within a short walk of your destination, and then you'd get to see a little bit of the countryside and perhaps even stumble across something interesting on the way. On the whole I think it made exploration and finding your way through the world a much more organic and immersive experience.

One day you and I and all the other explorefags will hold our hands in solidarity as our pro-fast travel enemies are burned alive in a gigantic bonfire.

Cadmus

Arcane

I think it will be pointed out to you that Daggerfall also had a fast travel system. Who cares, you're right anyway.

As much as I loved Morrowind when I played it, it bores me now but I think it's just that no game is supposed to last you forever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom