Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind won't start - Music Error

Archwizard Hank

Learned
Hi everyone. I wasn't quite sure if this had been posted already, but I can't find a solution to this anywhere else, and I thought you all might have an answer.

Every time Morrowind starts up, I get this error:

aa2aba8eb4.png

Then, the game crashes. I can get the game to run in OpenMW, but this is less than optimal.
I am not running any mods. This is just the GoTY edition, installed from a physical copy (at the moment installed via ISOs made from said copy as I don't have a DVD drive right now.) I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling to various directories in the vain hope that the default Program Files directory would be the cause. No dice. I have tried disabling audio in the INI. No cigar. I have tried various codecs, no luck. I have all the essential software: DirectX, sound drivers, the Windows Runtimes, all that shit. User account control is disabled - I am an admin on this computer. All combinations of compatibility mode I have tried do not remediate this problem.

For further clarification, here are my specs. I hope this is enough. If you need more information, let me know.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Seems like it might be a problem with your physical copy. Have you tried anyone else's copy/a digital copy?

Archwizard Hank

Learned
I have tried my friend's copy and the GOG version. Both turn up the same error, hence why I'm shifting the blame less on the quality of the copy and more towards something else.

Archwizard Hank

Learned
Alright, I've followed everything I can in the bleepingcomputer link to the letter, and I'm still getting nowhere. I followed the guide in post #7, and went on to parts of the guide in post #5 in the vain hope that there might have been some leftover codecs or filters messing with my installation. Nothing. Still the same error.

I'm at my wit's end here. I genuinely have no idea what could be causing this - I've exhausted all of my best guesses.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
It seems that this problem has affected a handful of people over the years, and no-one has developed a good solution, other than to check on sound card drivers and settings. Which probably means you're out of luck. :negative:

Santander02

Arcane
^Right, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a non physically removed from an inventory as a backup, I still have my original Morrowind CD and I'll be damned if it gets scratched by putting it on my ancient optical drive instead of just installing a warez copy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom