Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mortal Kombat X

I like the way grimdark endings contrast with emodramatic biowarian story mode.

Silva

Arcane
Army fighters are shit.
Witch fighters shit.
Sons/daughters shit.
Archer fighter shit.
Granny fighter shit.

Scorpion, Sub-zero, Raiden, Hat dude, Blind dude and Pistolero cool. Oh, Insect bitch and Snake fag cool too.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
If they wanted to make a gay character, instead of an angsty, whiny bitch, they should of made a gloriously flaming Liberace type faggot complete with an ass rape fatality. MK is the last place I expected to see this kind of crybaby shit.

So basically, he needs to be Dio from Jojo.

za-warudo.jpg

I remember playing MKI and II on SNES and having a decent time with them. I also played stuff like doom, duke nukem, rise of the triads, and never has brutality in pc games an issue whatsoever for me.

But I just watched the 'All Fatalities' youtube clip and now I feel very uneasy and bad. Maybe I'm getting old, but Mortal Kombat X makes me feel really ashamed of being a gamer.
Nah, you're not getting old. MK was always over the top, but it never savoured the gore before. The stuff in MKX is plain sociopathic and whoever came up with it needs psychiatric help.

That + shit characters + shit lore changes (for what little it's worth) = shit game all around. Can't say I'm too surprised after the mediocre reboot, but disappointed all the same: was a time when MKs were cool, campy games - now it's all been Dorito'd out for the angsty mental fuck-ups of a generation.

Astral Rag

Arcane
+ crappy PC port, day 1 DLC, microtransactions, smaller character roster, the same shitty netcode,...

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane
I remember playing MKI and II on SNES and having a decent time with them. I also played stuff like doom, duke nukem, rise of the triads, and never has brutality in pc games an issue whatsoever for me.

But I just watched the 'All Fatalities' youtube clip and now I feel very uneasy and bad. Maybe I'm getting old, but Mortal Kombat X makes me feel really ashamed of being a gamer.
Nah, you're not getting old. MK was always over the top, but it never savoured the gore before. The stuff in MKX is plain sociopathic and whoever came up with it needs psychiatric help.
:mrfussy:

abija

Prophet
because user to user routes are usually beyond retarded, so unless you are on same isp or "friendly" isps it's not nice

:prosper:

wtf am I reading? DailyMail comments section is that way ---->

Anyway, I see the community is pleasant as usual.

Duraframe300

Arcane

That + shit characters + shit lore changes (for what little it's worth) = shit game all around. Can't say I'm too surprised after the mediocre reboot, but disappointed all the same: was a time when MKs were cool, campy games - now it's all been Dorito'd out for the angsty mental fuck-ups of a generation.

:hmmm:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
1) MK is a series that got famous in part because YOU COULD A MAN'S SPINE OUT.

2) A huge deal in the 90s was that Genesis had the best version of the MK games because SEGA didn't censor the gore

3) I haven't played MKX, but MK9 perfectly did the schlocky-not-too-serious-but-not-being-ironic 80s action movie feel.

graphics and mood change a lot.
the first mortal kombat tried to be serious but was outright silly. come on, the iconic sub zero's fatality was awesome because it was totally impossible and drowned in tomato sauce. it was retarded fun.
mk10 is just gore, blood, guts, dismemberments, brains being sliced in half and people with broken necks who keep on fighting like nothing had happened. it gives too many visual details to be retarded fun anymore. it's just retarded.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So it's still impossible levels of gore but now it's bad because the graphics are more detailed.
I think this is actually a somewhat fair complaint, but I think it's less fair to say the modern MKs are not the same tone/style as the old ones.

(detailed graphics I think also hurt Duke Nuken Forever, detailed strippers in UE3 is creepy while the old pixelated ones were more charming in a tongue-in-cheek kind of way).

I also haven't played MKX so maybe they messed up the tone compared to MK9.

I also think one problem is that it's just easier to do things that cause gore and is thus more common. This causes some kind of brain saturation which both makes it less impressive and gives a different overall feel. For this reason, I wish they'd tone down the X-Rays so it was just fatalities where the real shit™ happened.

So it's still impossible levels of gore but now it's bad because the graphics are more detailed.
take one random bugs bunny episode and give the comedic stuff realistic consequences as highly detailed disembowelments, rivers of blood and slices of brains.
still as funny as before?

ArchAngel

Arcane
This topic is full of retards. You are like some CS:GO retards that talk about how you don't like some details on guns and weapon firing sounds are not as good as you would like it while ignoring that the real game is not about the graphics or sounds.

MKX is about cool PvP fighting, over the top mutilations and murder are unimportant.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I've watched all new fatalities, and frankly there is something I don't really like to see. The old 2d sprites with all the dismemberment were cartoony and over the top but never crossed the line of being distateful. This is offputing even for me, and I've finished all the famous +18 titles.

So you find the 3D gore to be disgusting or it makes you wince. Fine, it's a matter of preference, but it's still as cartoony as it ever was (no, X-ray doesn't work like that IRL).

take one random bugs bunny episode and give the comedic stuff realistic consequences as highly detailed disembowelments, rivers of blood and slices of brains.
still as funny as before?

I don't get your point. MK has always been "gore, blood, guts, dismemberments, brains being sliced in half", and "people with broken necks who keep on fighting like nothing had happened" is not realistic at all. If anything, the sprites looked more "realistic" than these 3D models since they were cutouts of real people dressed up as the characters.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There is a difference between a few dozen white pixels that could barely be recognised as a spine amidst an indistinguishable red and brown mass, and a HD depiction of a human head, face sliced off, the remainder of the tongue still twitching.

Adon

Arcane
I think this is actually a somewhat fair complaint, but I think it's less fair to say the modern MKs are not the same tone/style as the old ones.

(detailed graphics I think also hurt Duke Nuken Forever, detailed strippers in UE3 is creepy while the old pixelated ones were more charming in a tongue-in-cheek kind of way).

I also haven't played MKX so maybe they messed up the tone compared to MK9.

MKX, in part, does take itself more seriously. The gameplay does have stuff that'll make you chuckle, but the story is NRS trying to be more "legit" and given that they have nothing but mediocre writers, it's just a bore to watch. Granted, not all of it is terrible, but its enough of a change from the campy tone that it used to have. Then again I don't think MK9 really has that either, but it is less serious in its tone, sometimes reaching "so bad, it's good" territory. If Raiden accidentally killing Liu Kang isn't hilarious, I don't know what is.

I'm probably alone when I say I think MK4 was when the series reached its campy zenith with its brooding atmosphere, but hilarious execution.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom