Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most CD's in one game box?

made

Arcane
As the Amiga used 800Kb formatted floppies, Amiga users needed considerably more of them. Except for the Discworld mentioned above (which I'll put as "unverified" until further notice) the winner was Beneath a Steel Sky with 15 floppies, followed by Secret of Monkey Island 2 with 11 floppies.
Not quite. The Adventures of Willy Beamish and Bloodnet AGA both came on 12 disks, and I'm pretty sure there was another adventure that had at least 13. Finally, Biing AGA came on a whooping 19 disks; couldn't be run from floppies though, had to be installed.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Cool, I'm not an Amiga man, so all my info on that is second-hand.

I'll still try to verify this.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Alright, did some research.

Discworld was never released on the Amiga, and the PC floppy disk version didn't have the speech of the CD-ROM version, so the "16 disks" for Discworld is probably a warez release, so it's discounted. (The actual floppy disk version of Discworld was 4 floppies IIRC.)
(Of note though is that there was a "Director's Cut" edition of the original Discworld, which fixed some bugs and added an extra scene, but this version was apparentely never released.)

Willy Beamish and Bloodnet were indeed released on 12 floppies for the Amiga, but so was the regular version of "Bling! Sex, Intrigen and Skalpellen". They're all outdone by Rise of the Robots (13 disks) and, as made correctly stated, by the AGA version of the aforementioned "Bling!" which shipped on 19 floppies. I couldn't find any other Amiga titles that shipped on more disks than that.

Meanwhile, over in OS and programming land, Windows XP was shipped to at least one user on floppies - over 250 of them! MS Office 97 came on 55 floppies, OS/2 Warp 3 came on 25 (39 if you counted the bonus pack), Slackware Linux came on 33 floppies and Lotus SmartSuite on 23.

EDIT: Typo correction.

Last edited:
I remembered Discworld having "around 15" disks, did some quick googling and it read 16 disks somewhere, and I went with that. Now that the claim was disputed I made some further 'research' and it turns out it had only 15 disks.
SqsD1xl.jpg

made

Arcane
Rise of the Robots (13 disks)
Right. The adventure I was thinking of was Erben der Erde/Inherit the Earth; adf sites have a version with 13 disks, but HOL lists it with 12 so I'm not sure. I do have the box somewhere so I could look it up some day if there's enough interest in making Codex the definitive source for floppy counts on the web. Doubt anything beats Biing on the Amiga either way.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
If you're installing Microsoft Office 97 from diskettes, have all your diskettes available.

Microsoft Office 97 Standard edition is provided on a total of 45 diskettes. Microsoft Office 97 Professional edition is provided on a total of 55 diskettes. Depending on the options selected during Setup, you may not be prompted for every diskette.

:0-13:

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Just imagine... if we didn't have patience for all those CDs, we would've grown up without witnessing high class acting like this.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Right. The adventure I was thinking of was Erben der Erde/Inherit the Earth; adf sites have a version with 13 disks, but HOL lists it with 12 so I'm not sure. I do have the box somewhere so I could look it up some day if there's enough interest in making Codex the definitive source for floppy counts on the web. Doubt anything beats Biing on the Amiga either way.

I used the LemonAmiga site, which allows you to search games by the number of floppies it shipped on.

According to that, Inherit the Earth (AGA) comes on 11 disks, as well as Monkey Island 2, Flight of the Amazon Queen, Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis and Super Street Fighter Turbo (AGA).

While Bling! appears undisputed in terms of floppy disk count, it still seems to lose to Kakyuusei in terms of raw data provided, as the PC-98 used 3.5" floppies with a 1.2Mb storage capacity. The deciding factor would be if Bling! shipped on the standard 880Kb Amiga floppies, or the rarer high density disks that could store up to 1.72MB, but that's beyond my scope to find out.

Syl

Cipher
I have a Baldur's Gate Saga box which contains 11 CDs. Baldur's Gate (5 CDs) + Tales of the Sword Coast (1 CD) + Baldur's Gate 2 (4 CDs) + Throne of Bhaal (1 CD).

Sure, that's 2 games (or is it 3?) but it's one box.

made

Arcane
While Bling! appears undisputed in terms of floppy disk count, it still seems to lose to Kakyuusei in terms of raw data provided, as the PC-98 used 3.5" floppies with a 1.2Mb storage capacity. The deciding factor would be if Bling! shipped on the standard 880Kb Amiga floppies, or the rarer high density disks that could store up to 1.72MB, but that's beyond my scope to find out.
880kb most def. I don't think any game shipped on HD disks for compatibility reasons.

Here are the ADFs for Biing!:
http://thegamearchives.net/?val=0_2_1_0_0_9_43944_0_0_0_0

And here's Erben der Erde. Two versions, 1 with 12, one with 13 disks:
http://thegamearchives.net/?val=0_2_1_0_0_9_47785_0_0_0_0

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I remembered Discworld having "around 15" disks, did some quick googling and it read 16 disks somewhere, and I went with that. Now that the claim was disputed I made some further 'research' and it turns out it had only 15 disks.
SqsD1xl.jpg

Well I'll be damned. That goes against pretty much every source out there I could find. The floppy disk version did NOT have the speech included - yet there's no other explanation as to why a game would ship on so many floppies.

I did a more thorough research, and this checks out - the game was released on that many floppies. This is a rare "first edition" release of the game, and as such it not only trumps Ultima 8, but also comes close to ousting Kakyuusei in terms of raw data contained on the disks.

Consider myself corrected. :oops:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
But the most I have is the original BG1 box with 5.
KInda funny how BG1 (with TotSC I guess?) needs 5 cds but Fallout 2 fits in a single one.

It's tilesets vs prerendered backgrounds. Also the creatures and paper doll / pc avatar clothes, sex, race and class combinations add up. FO had the same problem tbh with animations for every weapon type + sex + armor type. But i think they were less anyway because it's multiplicative.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Imp. Developers thought it will be a good idea to cram every character on a separate CD and release them like this.

While I don't know the exact number, rumors go that the game takes up to 50 CDs (iirc one person has 22 CDs in his collection).
Ofc it could sound like cheating since CDs were released separately, but still.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
But the most I have is the original BG1 box with 5.
KInda funny how BG1 (with TotSC I guess?) needs 5 cds but Fallout 2 fits in a single one.

It's tilesets vs prerendered backgrounds. Also the creatures and paper doll / pc avatar clothes, sex, race and class combinations add up. FO had the same problem tbh with animations for every weapon type + sex + armor type. But i think they were less anyway because it's multiplicative.
Shows the power of good tilesets. I think Fallout looks way better than BG too.

DemonKing

Arcane
So how many is the most DVDs then - GTA V with 7 sounds like the winner so far?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I think Ecstatica used at least 13 floppies.

I think you're correct. Ecstatica was released on both CD-ROM and floppies, and the only discussion I found about the floppy version counts 13 floppies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom